FV = Fraser Valley Locked in by the Military up Slesse Creek - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 02:34 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2019, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
If you see an open gate this is the risk you take, that's just how it goes. What do you mean the Slesse trail is a designated recreation trail. Isn't that road for only for accessing the climbers descent trail from Slesse?, and the Slesse memorial trail is further up Chilliwack Lake road? I know of a climbing party that got locked in behind that gate this summer as well.
No there are signs for the trail at the 1 km mark so anyone driving in would be aware of the trail. Then, at the trail head there is a big brown post with painted white lettering on it for Slesse Trail. There are two routes for Slesse.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2019, 12:50 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Gate malarchy

A few years back we parked outside a gate beside the Mamquam FSR. That gate intersected the Shannon Creek FSR.
In the early 2000's, the road was closed due to a bridge flood and out of service for 2-3 years.
We hiked up to do SkyPilot and when we returned, my car was gone. Luckily, some dirt bikers were in a gravel field below packing up and gave us a ride to the police. Once there, we discovered that the BC Forest service had towed us. They could have moved the car nearby knowing people were in the mountains but instead, towed it to Squamish leaving the 3 of us in the woods at 9:00pm in the dark.
Don't bank on authorities caring about the person who owns a vehicle parked in the wilderness, plan on bringing a cordless grinder next time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-19-2019, 01:15 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, skiing, gardening, mushrooming

Since DND is a federal department, it might be worthwhile for someone to contact the MP representing the Chilliwack area about this problem.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2019, 06:12 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything mountain related

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur Tarnasky View Post
A few years back we parked outside a gate beside the Mamquam FSR. That gate intersected the Shannon Creek FSR.
In the early 2000's, the road was closed due to a bridge flood and out of service for 2-3 years.
We hiked up to do SkyPilot and when we returned, my car was gone. Luckily, some dirt bikers were in a gravel field below packing up and gave us a ride to the police. Once there, we discovered that the BC Forest service had towed us. They could have moved the car nearby knowing people were in the mountains but instead, towed it to Squamish leaving the 3 of us in the woods at 9:00pm in the dark.
Don't bank on authorities caring about the person who owns a vehicle parked in the wilderness, plan on bringing a cordless grinder next time!
Haha. You beat me to the cordless grinder idea. I don't leave home without one along with a cordless drill with a longer metal bit.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2019, 02:59 PM
Scaling New Heights

Exactly. Bolt cutters and any other power tool needed.

__________________________________________________ _

Bridge Valley to Lord River and Taseko Lakes

Salsipuedes Canyon by Fatbike
post #22 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 05:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Exclamation The DND Demolition Range is now active

The reason that the gate is now closed is because the DND has reopened the range as of Aug/Sept 2019. I am friends with the Naval Chief who is running the Demolition course for new Bosuns in the navy. It was closed in 1988 due to a training incident (First link below for story) that killed 6 engineering students. The range was just reopened which probably explains the sudden closure of the gate. The second link below has a short video of a memorial they did just before they resuming training. I am uncertain about if/ when the gate will be open in the future, but i do believe that the course that was running during the time you got locked in is now over. Hope this helps you all out!

https://cmea-agmc.ca/slesse-range-accident-remembered
https://www.facebook.com/Maritime.Fo...2689659727832/
post #23 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 06:42 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Type 2 fun

These could be good emergency tools to prevent that from happening. Only issue is if they know your vehicle was in there my fear would be they wrote the plate # down and if you cut anything on the way out you may be a suspect for government property damage.

==Amazon==
Die Grinder 18V

Small 1/4 cutting wheels

Extentsion Shaft
=======

Bolt cutters cant get up in there too easy but the die grinder can making most FS/Resource Road gates vulnerable to the amazing portable die grinder!

===========================
My Backpacking & Nature 4k Timelapse Videos

My favorite part about mornings is greeting every spider that traveled across the trail that night, with my face.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2020, 10:00 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

The gate has been open for about a month now.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page