• 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By Jaaklucas

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Porteau Cove to Furry Creek w Bushwhack

Hi all,
first post.
This trip was to get some comfort with Ian Robertson's "Mend the Gap" bridging the HSCT to logging roads so Mountain Lake Hut was more accessible.

We had intended to head up to Deeks Lake & Peak and follow the whole route he shared, however saw the opportunity of a direct bushwhack up from the Kallahne trail.

The trailhead for Kallahne trail was a bit non-obvious from the bottom up, so be prepared to search. I'd downloaded a new app on my phone Can Topo - which was super useful. Much better than the GPS we had.

Get to a fork in the trail at about 800m and there is a constructed blockage to keep you on the right fork. More of a suggestion. We took the left fork as that would get us closer to the point in the trail we wanted to BushWhack from. We departed the trail at its furthest North extension and headed up. The app / map said 480 meters length, and 420 meters rise, so was going to be steep. But it wasnt too bad. Avoiding a few cliffbands from below, think trending left generally is less steep than heading right.

We made the ridge in about an hour? (I didnt have watch on me) and hooked up with Ian Robertson's GPX. Quick lunch heading down on Ian's great route. My buddy got lit up by a nest of wasps just after we crested. Now we'll hike with an epipen. He survived fine, but was a bit swollen, rashy.

Sorry quick post - heading to bed for another hike tomorrow - I'll add more details / photos later. Feel free to message me if you're interested in that route.

I'm kinda starting to like bushwhacking - and there's a potential route following the nose of the ridgeline all the way down to Furry Creek that we may investigate from the bottom. The contours suggest one path may be passable.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx 20190907 Porteau Cove to Furry direct.gpx (440.8 KB, 50 views)
guntis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thank you for your first post. Good for you, don't think too many people like bush whacking, just us dedicated hikers.

Looking forward to your pictures, hope you have/had a great followup hike.

K
mwestcoast likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Awesome stuff! I always wanted to check out that route, but never got around to it. Looking forward to a lot of photos.
mwestcoast likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hmm - having lots of troubles uploading pics. Maybe i have to make a certain number of posts before i can upload pics?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 01:19 AM
Banned

No, it's just a pain... Drag the pics from your computer to the Drag and Drop upload box, and then insert them in the TR with the paperclip icon. Maybe a moderator or admin can help you out.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 02:14 AM
Summit Master

Paperclip also works for uploading, if you don't want to drag&drop. But always use paperclip when referencing image in the post, avoids redundancy later
russellcoffin likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 01:37 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Good for you, don't think too many people like bush whacking, just us dedicated hikers.
K
You have that right! A few times over the years Ive gone up to overgrown ,flagged routes with my clippers to try and hold the bush back only to find the next year its overgrown again. Usually with thorny berry bush. Coastal mts. , rain forest. The fellow who maintains Kalahane cabin has done some real trail building on the Kalahane creek route . Met him doing the HSCT and my friend Mike ended up joining him on some of the trail building. They don't clip as much as dig up roots . Thank you to all that build and maintain trails, a thankless job...
KARVITK likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2019, 03:35 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwestcoast View Post
Hmm - having lots of troubles uploading pics. Maybe i have to make a certain number of posts before i can upload pics?
Nwestcoast.. hit the paperclip icon just right of the smiling face.. and it will take to you where you can insert photos to upload. these are done 10 at a time.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2019, 04:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Well done. I like this. In particular, it allows for direct access to the "Mind the Gap" route, thereby offering the possibility to do some trail clearing/optimizing. Thanks so much for sharing your track.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:35 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Yay Matt, glad you got this posted! Welcome to the wild world of trip reports and bushwhacking :-)

Oh, and I must also give shout out to @chrisPorte for equal role in forging this route with me!

-Ian

Last edited by Ian Robertson; 09-23-2019 at 02:41 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2019, 02:54 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Well done. I like this. In particular, it allows for direct access to the "Mind the Gap" route, thereby offering the possibility to do some trail clearing/optimizing.
It also presents an intriguing path North ... Sunshine-Coast Style
Day 1: HSCT to Lost Lake cabin
Day 2: Lost Lake cabin via Matt's and my routes to the valley and up to Mountain Lake hut
Day 3: Mountain Lake hut to Squamish
(Day 4: Squamish to Brome Ridge Snowmobile Lodge)
(Day 5: ?)
(Day 6: Kees and Claire Hut)
(Day 7 Whistler)

Without the stop at Lost Lake, one can do similar by just using my route and doing Mountain Lake in a day ... but its a stout day.

... Crazy folk can also skip that one and do Squamish in a day, but I don't know anyone crazy enough to do that ;-)

The above will all benefit significantly from BCMC work from Mountain Lake Hut to Skyline Ridge. Here's a link to some photos of the area I took whilst scouting with them on our route: https://photos.app.goo.gl/2QrhqQ4LzNBymHVC9 ... there's a beast of a scree-field to cross on the way - in parts the consistency of talc ... I was coughing up Sky Pilot for a week after that one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ian notes (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	271212  

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page