Baldy Lake and Mt Mahaney - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Default Baldy Lake and Mt Mahaney

Mid-August overnight trip to Baldy Lake in the Galton Range of the southern Canadian Rockies. Closest town is Roosville at the end of highway 93 at the US border. There is a trail to the lake, which sits in a lovely sub-alpine basin partially surrounded by ridges and 7860ft Mt Mahaney.

Had some drizzle on the hike in, but otherwise decent weather. We saw and heard some big horn sheep up on the ridge. I got to within about 100 yards and glassed a ram with my Burris Big Game Scope and then BAM! my shot hit true. My Savage 110 Apex Storm never lets me down! I'm so glad clubtread led me to these amazing products! Took some real muscle to cut its head off and carry it back to my pick-up, but dam it will look good in my living room while I watch Netflix. I suspect a bear will eat what I left behind.

The hike:
Click image for larger version

Name:	0.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.66 MB
ID:	270430

Baldy Lake

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	556.3 KB
ID:	270432

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	1.21 MB
ID:	270434

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.28 MB
ID:	270436

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	270438

Brought my telescoping rod with me and pulled out about 10 rainbows. A couple were big enough to eat but my wife didn't really have the appetite for it so they were all released.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	743.9 KB
ID:	270440

Next day we headed up to the ridge and to the top of Mt Mahaney. It's got a big flag on top to warn border-jumpers that while they are free of Trump, they have to put up with Trudeau... Also, people seem to hang dirty underwear on the pole... Great views down onto Lake Koocanusa, which is a huge reservoir created by the Libby Dam on the Kootanay River in Montana.

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	270442

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	270444

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	499.9 KB
ID:	270454

Name:	9.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	697.8 KB
ID:	270456

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	270446

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	270450

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	270452

F*ck*n Eh!

Name:	14.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	270448

This was a neat little corner of BC I hadn't explored before. Always cool to see something new. And good grief I need to turn my adblock back on....

Last edited by Candy Sack; 09-06-2019 at 11:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 12:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
I'm so glad clubtread led me to these amazing products!
Good one; you gotta hand it to CT. BTW, I never see these ads with or without Adblock.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 01:47 PM
Scaling New Heights

Nice camp spot up at that lake, looks like an awesome time. I love the subalpine/alpine this time of year with cooler temps.

And great work trophy hunting, from what I understand, this is what CT is all about...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 07:05 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
We saw and heard some big horn sheep up on the ridge. I got to within about 100 yards and glassed a ram with my Burris Big Game Scope and then BAM! my shot hit true. My Savage 110 Apex Storm never lets me down! I'm so glad clubtread led me to these amazing products! Took some real muscle to cut its head off and carry it back to my pick-up, but dam it will look good in my living room while I watch Netflix. I suspect a bear will eat what I left behind.

LOL. You just can't help yourself, can you

but on a serious note, I witnessed something similar couple of years ago. You will know where is Mt. Yamnuska. Aspen forest below is fairly popular with hunters. There is lot of deer. I go there taking photos in the fall, there is network of fairly nice trails. So I run into deer carcass. Fresh, deep cut on the side with large chunk of meat missing. They shot him, then cut enough they could carry and left the carcass with blood all over the place right on the trail -- where there are bears, and also families come for easy hikes. Made me quite sick; did report it so someone came to move it away.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:25 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Really appreciate your reporting on these out of the way places. The scenery is spectacular.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
Really appreciate your reporting on these out of the way places. The scenery is spectacular.
My sentiment also.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page