• 1 Post By Candy Sack
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By TheDude
  • 1 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By guntis

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

A few years back Guntis did a TR on a hike up to Tonic peak from Function Junction https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...-junction.html.

a year or so before that I put up a TR on accessing the Sproatt/Tonic subalpine from the Callaghan side, driving a fair way up the Canadian Wilderness road then onto the new trail system. https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...callaghan.html

This trip was a hike to explore the subalpine using the main hiking trail from Function Junction. I had intended to take the steeper more direct route that Guntis had done but i bailed on account of so many damn wasp nests. So I stuck to the superbly built hike/bike path called "into the mystic'. This too, has some nasty wasp occurrences but i received no stings. It involves a lot more climbing and overall hiking distance thahn Callaghan. If you've got a clear day it gets you to beautiful subalpine terrain well populated with bears, both grizz and blacks.

I did not bag Tonic peak, I was more keen on wandering about up there. I'll hit Tonic another day. Good views, sweet subalpine and a quite lengthy hike at 22km return with about 1200 M of elev gain. The trail is a well built mountain bike route that doubles as a hiking path more akin to a gravel sidewalk than a trail. There's even an awesome rest stop with perched balcony overlooking Van West creek. At this point you can access the gulley using a chain link assist to refill water bottles. Gotta give it to whistler municipality for investing in trails. Here's some pics.Attachment 270348Attachment 270348Attachment 270348
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sproatt access.png
Views:	99
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	270336  

Name:	sproatt1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	270338  

Name:	sproatt2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	446.7 KB
ID:	270340  

Name:	sproatt3.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	747.3 KB
ID:	270342  

Name:	sproatt4.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	270344  

Name:	sproatt5.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	581.1 KB
ID:	270346  

martin, guntis, KARVITK and 2 others like this.

Last edited by xj6response; 09-04-2019 at 01:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:15 PM
Banned

All that frigging around and no likes or comments....

Thank you for your contribution.
xj6response likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:47 PM
Summit Master

That's actually very good point. Of handful of us left, when one invests time & effort to put meaningful report like this one that is more than just "I went there here are my photos", lack of feedback/response can be quite demoralizing. But maybe solo75 is right when he says "You are doing it also because you are enjoying it"

Re Sproatt, for what it's worth, I recall that guntis report too. I did winter snowshoe up Sproatt from Whistler sideClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 11.43.52 AM.png
Views:	88
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	270478

and also late March snowshoe to ridge west of Rainbow LakeClick image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-08 at 11.38.18 AM.png
Views:	48
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	270476

I regret now never exploring Callaghan side. These meadows on the divide are fantastic
KARVITK likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:12 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Awesome! I recognize the lake in that picture from a long ago trip. A couple of years ago we hiked the "Guntis Route" up from function, and veered NE just below 1700m, passed by a great bunch of tarns, and got to the viewpoint below Sproatt. Great views of the valley. A long-ish trip but very scenic. And a brew pub at the bottom when you get back . Just a couple of weeks ago we went up Sproatt from that trail on the SE side, it is quite good as well. I guess I am guilty of not doing trip reports, I'll try to fix that.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Summit Master

"Guntis Route". Guntis, even trails are named after you. Such is your impact. Do come back ;=) We need more of this
Quote:
Brain: This is going to hurt, isn't it?
Legs: Yes. Why are you doing this to me?
Brain: Because we haven't done this before.
Stomach: I don't care as long as the snacks are good.
Brain: Dry peanut butter & jam sandwiches?
Stomach: You suck.
Legs: Why do I put up with this?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Hittin' the Trails

too bad that trail is called Up Up and Away and it's a trials moto trail! Sorry, Guntis.
guntis likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

So true ... "You are doing it also because you are enjoying it". This is such a great spot to explore and my crappy pics don't do it justice. Will go back sometime when the cold hits us and the damned wasps are gone. The network of trails up on the Sproat subalpine, from Callaghan, Gin+Tonic lake or Function Junction ... they're just awesome. The work that went into them is a tribute to the municipality and trail workers.

As we all know, the ability to just park, easily off Hwy 99 someplace and dash up to such magnificent landscape is a real treat. Mind you, i don't know how anybody could take pleasure in riding a bike down the "Up Up and Away " route. To me, that's just nuts! LOL

here's a few pics from the Callaghan side, just to keep things interesting
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20150819_132708.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	270588  

Name:	20150819_122757.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	270590  

Name:	cropped.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	270592  

Name:	cropped2.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	270594  

KARVITK likes this.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 11:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
too bad that trail is called Up Up and Away and it's a trials moto trail! Sorry, Guntis.
Yes, I did look up this trail on the biking maps later. I huffed and puffed up Into the Mystic with my pig of a mountain bike too a while back. Great trail! The descent down Lord of the Squirrels sucked though. Definitely not an "intermediate" trail. Should be relabelled.

So impressed by the work being done in Whistler (and Squamish for that matter). Gives an aging guy some options.
xj6response likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Hi Guntis, glad to see you here. XJresponse thanks for the great report and visit. First time up in the Sproatt area, 1972,. loved it. Would like to try those trails, however I have a serious fear of Wasps.

Last time strung in 1976 when I got a bad reaction.

And I agree with everyone. it is nice to see one's own report later on and reflect on all the good hikes we have accomplished.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page