FV = Fraser Valley Mount Robie Reid Summit Solo - Aug 19-20 2019 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes
  • 5 Post By uboat_hiker
  • 2 Post By Dru
  • 1 Post By noman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2019, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mount Robie Reid Summit Solo - Aug 19-20 2019

It's been quite a while since I revisited this site with a trip report, so hello again.

I've wanted to do Robie Reid for many years now, but always got deterred from something else happening in life. I've made a point of reading every vlog, blog, trip report, or piece of info I could find on this trip. With all that knowledge in tow, I set out on one of the craziest climbs I've ever done.

After driving down the rough Florence Lake FSR, I started hiking around noon with the goal of reaching the tarns where I'd set up camp. As some of you may know, the trailhead is tricky to find. Don't expect any signage other than a couple ribbons in the bush marking the starting point. The hike along Alouette Lake was ok, the trail is in good condition, and well marked.

Shortly after leaving the lake area you head into the forest and gradually start climbing. Then you REALLY start climbing. The steepness of this slope is a thing of legend. The trail was well marked and at no point on the way up did I get lost. However, the trail is overgrown quite a bit and there's lots of deadfall to contend with. It took me 5 hours to reach the tarns area. Lots of time to relax and make coffee! About 50m before reaching the tarns I ran into the only hikers I'd see for the entire trip. They were heading out and actually thought I was a bear coming crashing through the bush. Good thing I didn't get maced LOL.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0024.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	270004

Name:	20190819_202900.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	373.7 KB
ID:	270010

I didn't get much sleep that night due to a critter continually coming around my tent. I yelled at 'em a couple times and it eventually left for good and I managed a few hours of sleep.
In the morning I enjoyed a beautiful sunrise and took some pics of northern Stave.

Name:	DSC_0436.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	270006

Name:	DSC_0842.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	662.1 KB
ID:	270008

I left camp around 7:30am heading towards the summit. Nice views along the way and I was lucky enough to spot a mountain goat from afar. It's incredible how good of vision these things have. He saw me WAY before I spotted him. I kept pushing and eventually came to the class 4 crux of the trip. Very tricky manoeuvring required here. I didn't have any type of climbing gear with me, I did this all free hand. It's definitely not for someone with a fear of heights. I can also see why this is the point where most hikers get turned around. It's a very dangerous spot and pictures don't do it a justice.

Name:	20190820_130404.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	270014

Name:	DSC_0909.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	270012

After reaching the saddle I made my way along the top ridge walk to the radio tower and made the final push up the summit block. Epic views in all directions. My grama just passed away on Saturday and I shed a tear for her at this point. Not that you folks need to hear it, but it's stuff like this that will keep her and this trip with me forever. So damn gorgeous up there!

Name:	DJI_0018.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	270016

Name:	DJI_0017.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	270018

Name:	DSC_0931.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	270020

Name:	vlcsnap-2019-08-21-15h36m55s666.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	270022

When I reached the summit I took the opportunity to launch my drone. What a way to get that truly epic summit shot. The wind gusts made it somewhat dangerous to fly, but in the end it worked out and the drone didn't crash into no-mans-land. There's so much more to see in the You Tube video I made. Here's the link if you'd like to check it out. Happy trails everyone.

What next you ask? I wouldn't mind bushwacking my way to the crashed bomber above Widgeon Lake...

martin, KARVITK, treord8 and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 03:49 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat_hiker View Post

When I reached the summit I took the opportunity to launch my drone. What a way to get that truly epic summit shot.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/bcparks/faq/

Quote:
An unmanned air vehicle (UAV), better known as a drone, is a power-driven aircraft of any size that is designed to fly without a human operator onboard and that may be remotely controlled or may have automated flight capability.
Transport Canada (TC) and the Canadian Aviation Regulations regulate UAV use in Canada’s airspace.
UAV operators must obtain permission from BC Parks to take-off and/or land in any park or protected area.
TC's federal flight requirements for use of UAVs include distances from people, buildings, built-up areas, and animals (both domestic and wildlife), meaning there are few, if any, locations in BC Parks where permission to fly UAVs can be granted and the pilot would still able to meet the current federal flight requirements.
sidetrip and John and Katie like this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Scaling New Heights

That's insane man! Great video too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 12:35 PM
Banned

I was wondering how you got those summit pics on a solo trip. Thought maybe you were a really fast runner....

Cool trip and great photos, despite assumptions people make weather or not you got permission to fly your toy around empty and obscure airspace.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 02:36 PM
Summit Master

Great stuff; I enjoyed video as well. You got perfect conditions too; there are many reports out there with summit ridge in cloud and "ok, this is Robbie Reid. Could be anywhere". Very cool sunrise shot over Stave lake
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Wow, truly personal and epic sharing with us thank you. The Video is wonderfully complete in giving highlights of your journey, awesome pictures and video footage.

Thanks

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 12:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I watched your video of Mt. Robie Reid. it was well done and it seems you've figured out how to use a drone to shoot great video once you had reached the top of Mount Robie Reid or ahead of the time. Your trip report, especially the video was very well done.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:59 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Great trip - very well documented. The drone photos and good edits definitely added a perspective to a trip that not many have enjoyed. Responsible drone use is an amazing photographic tool. I only wish parks had the funding and initiative to stop spewing regulations they seem unable to enforce - dogs in Taylor Meadows, fire pits all over Mt Seymour for example. You could have used your drone to photograph that mountain goat but you chose not to. THAT is applying good judgement and respect to the mountain environment - not blindly obeying regulations.
martin likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page