S2S = Sea to Sky Tricouni Meadows via Chance Creek FSR - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Cool Tricouni Meadows via Chance Creek FSR

Led by my 12yr old son, followed by my 14yr son, and accompanied by my partner we headed to the meadows for a quick overnighter under the stars and Tricouni Peak this past weekend. The weather was as forecasted, ....fantastic, and the bugs were moderate. The temperature does drop significantly in the evenings, so if staying overnight, be prepared with layers.....

The Alpine flowers were in full bloom, and the blueberries looked to be a few weeks or a month away from ripening. This is the first time all four of us had been in the meadows.... and only the 2nd time back country camping without amenities. Everyone had a fabulous time, and the views were spectacular.

We accessed the area via spur roads climbing off of the Chance Creek FSR (watch for traffic and other recreationists trying to park at Lucille Lake at the bottom!) and found the roads to be in good condition.... up to a washout, where the brush encroaches the surface, and the road is rough and tight. A good clearance 4x4 has no problem with the conditions.... we were in a Tacoma (club cab, short box, 4x4 sport model) With the ability to navigate the road, we parked in the highest spot and eliminated the majority of the climb one would typically have to get into these areas. (that said, parking where the road starts to get rough would only add a couple more kms to the hike along the old road). We arrived at our parking location at 12ish and had some lunch with a pleasant view of Cloudburst Mountain to the south.

There is a well established foot trail leading from the western extent of the road where we parked.... and hikers are in the alpine meadows within minutes.... maybe <250m of hiking from the road! In just about an hour, we arrived at our planned camping location near the lake nestled under Tricouni Peak and had first pick of spots.... (three other small groups that we were aware of came afterwards).

I highly recommend this route for day trippers and for beginner back country enthusiasts.... you are not far from civilization and cell service is available in some surrounding locations, (ie the ridge to the north-east overlooking Road Creek and across to Mt. Brew). Be prepared with back country essentials, and remember you are likely to encounter some wildlife along the way.... but a relatively short climb can ease the discomfort or burden for someone just starting out.

Happy Trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tricouni_Route.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	364.2 KB
ID:	269368  

Name:	export-Lake-Heather.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	269370  

Name:	Export-boys-Lake-Peak.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	527.2 KB
ID:	269372  

Name:	export-meadows-cloudburst.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	744.8 KB
ID:	269374  

Paulimus and Cousin Herb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks Jon, for this excellent Trip Report. I was up at Brew hut/lake at Brew Mountain, about 10 days ago. While up there I looked across the valley and decided to head over to Tricouni some day soon. Your report has provided added inspiration. The access detail and trail update is exactly what makes CT function. Thanks again.

Question. What was the distance from the washout to your camp spot? Do you have a GPX you could post?

good stuff!
Jon Moore likes this.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:05 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Never thought about trying to get there via the chance creek fsr, does this bypass that "mud mile" that you have to trudge through if one is coming from the squamish valley road?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Scaling New Heights

Great TR! Can't believe it's <250m to the meadows from the truck! How is parking before the rough sections? I have a 4x4 Patriot so I doubt I could make it too far but ~3km to the meadow still sounds amazing.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 02:45 PM
Hittin' the Trails

That looks great. Will add that to my list of places to take the kids. Thanks for taking the time to share this information.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Sorry for the delayed response(s)... busy at work and not checking in frequently.... I'll try and post GPX info shortly that should allow anyone interested to explore the route. Parking is good prior to the washout... lots of room roadsides, albeit there is active basalt rock mining areas nearby.... so perhaps check in with their office(s)...looks like there might be one located at the first major switchback above Lucille Lake (snowmobile staging area in the winter). I dont have any contact info, so if Users here reading this thread could share, that would be helpful.

Mon-Friday access should also be aware of potential industrial forest activities. Ministry of forest, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Developement (Sqaumish District office) may have specific info on that.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/g...al-development

Cheers,

Happy hiking!
dcc_028 likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:06 PM
Summit Master

This is a bit different than the normal Tricouni Meadows hike - most guidebooks refer to it as Tricouni East. It doesn't really bypass the "mud mile", it goes to a different destination Probably possible to connect the two via a scramble over Tricouni Peak, however.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

GPX is from Last year... but the route and information is the same as my recent Trip Report. Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Toporama - 092G14 - Cheakamus river, British Columbia.gpx (390.5 KB, 112 views)
dcc_028 likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 06:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Moore View Post
GPX is from Last year... but the route and information is the same as my recent Trip Report. Cheers!
Awesome, many thanks ... must get back there ASAP

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 08:03 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowChaser View Post
This is a bit different than the normal Tricouni Meadows hike - most guidebooks refer to it as Tricouni East. It doesn't really bypass the "mud mile", it goes to a different destination Probably possible to connect the two via a scramble over Tricouni Peak, however.
Oh I see now, thanks for that
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:16 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, mountain biking, camping, hammocking, being outside!

Looks like a great place! I guess you don't have any photos of the washout or after it?
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 01:09 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Lot's of room to pitch tents would you say?

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I read a report on facebook today that a pair of two hikers got bluff charged by a grizzly on route to Tricouni last weekend. As this is an active Grizzly area, please ensure you follow precautions.
Jon Moore likes this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
I read a report on facebook today that a pair of two hikers got bluff charged by a grizzly on route to Tricouni last weekend. As this is an active Grizzly area, please ensure you follow precautions.
Wow that is scary.

Always wanted to do this hike for years, not too sure I want to chance it with Grizzlies around.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Lot's of room to pitch tents would you say?
Yes, there are several rock"pads" that others have altered to make room for tents.... and plenty of natural, dry, flat spots if you wander around and scope them out.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page