• 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By J.Seidl
  • 1 Post By Jaaklucas
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 05:13 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Petgill Lake - May 26th, 2019

One of the lesser known, but well traveled lakes that can be done straight from the Sea to Sky highway. Trail starts from the ever busy Murrin Lake Provincial Park lot, and winds its way up through new growth, logging roads, and finally some old growth at the end by the lake.

The four of us got to the lot at 1 PM on a hot Sunday. I would recommend for people to do this hike early as the lot fills up fast with people staying at the lake by the parking lot. We ended up finding a spot at the viewpoint 1.5km down towards Britannia Mine but before the steep hill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	00000IMG_00000_BURST20190526174658408_COVER.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	266606

The route starts off a bit steep, and then keeps going all the wall to the lake a decent grade. Total elevation gain appears to be more than listed online due to the ups and downs. It took us 2 hours at a leisurely pace while chatting and carrying fishing rods. It was nicely shaded for a good part of the trip which was nice as well. Lots of recent logging activity in the past five years up there.

The lake was very nice and after no success fishing (and no fish surfacing) we went in for a well deserved swim. Water was cold but more manageable when the sun came out. We swam for twenty minutes before drying off. The bugs were out but not terrible and made for a good time at the top. Not much shoreline to hang out on at all, but there was a makeshift dock from cedar shakes that was convenient to hang out on.

Name:	IMG_20190526_153957.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	266612

Name:	IMG_20190526_150930.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	266608

Name:	IMG_20190526_150932.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	2.55 MB
ID:	266610

There is also a nice viewpoint near the lake that we didn't go to, but would recommend checking out. Some other nice viewpoints on the way down. Overall, a fun trail that is good for groups and is intermediate.
martin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I have not been to Petgill since I was 18 ... when i had a large collection of 8-track tapes and cassettes, pretty much back in the stone age LOL ... what's the elevation difference from trailhead to the lake? I take it the route was entirely free of snow?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
I have not been to Petgill since I was 18 ... when i had a large collection of 8-track tapes and cassettes, pretty much back in the stone age LOL ... what's the elevation difference from trailhead to the lake? I take it the route was entirely free of snow?
That's awesome! Sure the area has changed quite a bit since then. The elevation difference is supposed to be ~650 meters. It was definitely snow free and probably had been for at least a month.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 02:57 AM
Summit Master

Great to see some Petgill shots

Russell - come back in August & continue to Goat Ridge. Its one of trips I remember most from my coast hiking days.

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...oat-ridge.html

You are fit guy & can hack it in a day. But consider taking overnight gear. It is amazing alpine up there
russellcoffin likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

Russell - come back in August & continue to Goat Ridge. Its one of trips I remember most from my coast hiking days.

You are fit guy & can hack it in a day. But consider taking overnight gear. It is amazing alpine up there
Right after I posted this I went a read your report of that trip. Looks like a ton of fun, definitely will try to get up there this summer.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 12:42 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, climbing, snowboarding, Tea

Good to know the trail is still there after the logging. Its a shame about lack of parking at Murrin park there. I did a quick overnight and camped at the lookout just above Petgill lake years ago and liked it. The old growth forest after the logging roads was a treat.

Just read zeljkok's report and quite liked the pictures and terrain. I'll add that to my ever growing "to do" list. It may be awhile to make that distance with two hikers in training in tow.

- Justin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:19 AM
Summit Master

Justin, yes I was lucky to hike to Petgill while logging was still minimal. Re 2 hikers in training in tow -- do overnight. Tons of lakes just below Goat plateau; set a base camp & go exploring
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2020, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post

Nick and I went and tried a winter ascent of Goat Ridge yesterday. We made it to 1400 meters before we inevitably turned around due to waste deep powder. Snowline started at 600 meters, and by 800 meters there was solid 2 feet deep snow. Trying to navigate the 40 degree slopes from 1100 to 1300 meters was brutal in the waste deep snow and once we finally made it on the ridge we saw the storm coming in and turned around. Snowshoes with heel lifts and rail crampons were a godsend and a must.

Name:	PXL_20201229_193438500.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	283150

I can definitely say that I will be coming back here in the summer as the views were incredible and the trail was thrilling. For anyone going up there, note there is one part at 1120 meter elevation that has incorrect flagging. The proper turn point is to the right, but flags lead up ~75 meters to the left up steep terrain. Not sure if this was the old route but backtracking this was demoralizing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 03:53 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
I can definitely say that I will be coming back here in the summer as the views were incredible and the trail was thrilling. For anyone going up there, note there is one part at 1120 meter elevation that has incorrect flagging. The proper turn point is to the right, but flags lead up ~75 meters to the left up steep terrain. Not sure if this was the old route but backtracking this was demoralizing.
Several years ago I went up Goat ridge in the summer to explore how close to Sky Pilot I could get in a day trip. Its a very long haul to the crest of that ridge which is just east of the Copilot. Yes, the flagging is confusing in the upper sections and on the way back we followed some flags and next thing you know were heading down to Brittania creek side. It was flagged for a while...Ended up fording the raging creek and hitching a ride back from Brittania Creek to the car at Murrin..
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 05:25 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Nick and I went and tried a winter ascent of Goat Ridge yesterday. We made it to 1400 meters before we inevitably turned around due to waste deep powder. Snowline started at 600 meters, and by 800 meters there was solid 2 feet deep snow. Trying to navigate the 40 degree slopes from 1100 to 1300 meters was brutal in the waste deep snow and once we finally made it on the ridge we saw the storm coming in and turned around.

This is report of recent snowshoe trip up Goat Ridge, all the way to the end. With such a short amount of daylight and steep snow, very high level of stamina is required for winter trip but obviously not impossible. Winter wonderland up there seems quite special.

I still stand by my initial assessment that best way to experience Goat Ridge is summer backpack, with camp by one of these lakes as you break into the alpine. Then that vast beautiful terrain can be explored (and photographed) in leisure with day pack only.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page