Mount Nutt (South) - May 4, 2019 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Rex

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.
Default Mount Nutt (South) - May 4, 2019

I have some history with Nutt... I have been up here lots, but I consider it a "B" grade destination and usually just use it as a training hike... and for many reasons over the years I have never finished Nutt proper (North Peak)... so I thought I would punish myself and get it done... but the weather and rotten snow had other plans for me.

The trail after it branches off East Canyon to the Lake is hideous and peppered with a large number of unsustainable route decisions, but you don't care to hear my unsolicited opinions so I will stick to the beta... once you are above the lake you enter older growth and it becomes increasingly a more and more soul healing beautiful old forest with a well built trail.

After a while ascending the shoulder of Nutt you will come on two separate lookouts, one west and one east... and then the trail continues until you come to the actual "End of Route" sign with another lookout avec dramatic drop off facing north... this is not the peak. This is just where the Ridge Meadows Hiking club have stopped work on the trail.

If you wish to proceed you need to backtrack slightly and find a safe route down a ways, bush wack across and up again to the South Peak... and then rinse and repeat for the actual North Peak. I would classify this as difficult in that its often steep, requiring route finding and physically demanding as you loose and gain 100's of meters of elevation numerous times.

I finished the South Peak with heavy fog rolled in so with not being able to make intelligent decisions about the safest, most efficient line to the North Peak, I called it.

I posted a few photos to give you a sense of the terrain and current conditions... the old forest ramp up the shoulder is gorgeous and that alone makes it worth it if you only have an afternoon to kill.

Moving Time: 4:30 hrs
Total Time: 6:45 hrs
Distance: 12.5 km
Cumulative Gain: 1200 m

Stay safe, have fun and maybe I will see you out there.

Regards,

Rex
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1968-02.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	440.4 KB
ID:	266254  

Name:	IMG_1977-03.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	663.7 KB
ID:	266256  

Name:	IMG_1964-01.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	266258  

Name:	IMG_1983-04.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	266260  

Name:	IMG_1996-06.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	434.7 KB
ID:	266262  

Name:	IMG_2006-08.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	502.6 KB
ID:	266264  

Name:	IMG_2009-09.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.30 MB
ID:	266266  

Name:	IMG_2018-11.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	266268  

Name:	IMG_2023-12.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	543.9 KB
ID:	266270  

Name:	IMG_2025-14.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	266272  

Name:	IMG_2028-15.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	677.1 KB
ID:	266274  

Name:	IMG_2031-16.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	266276  

Name:	Nutt-South-2019-GE-01-17.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	490.0 KB
ID:	266278  

solo75, zeljkok and Paulimus like this.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Last edited by Rex; 05-07-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm not a fan of the trail to the lake either. My only reason is the dull second growth forest...there is no life to it.
I am surprised to hear you haven't made it up the north peak after so many attempts, considering your mountaineering history. I have no doubt you will get soon, though.
The rest of the route from the south peak is the most difficult; in terrain, steepness, bush and routefinding. Good luck next time, Rex. : )
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for the report Rex, I haven't been up that way yet, but every time I look at the map I wonder how bushwhacking direct up the SW ridge to Nutt north would go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for the report Rex, I guess in order to gain the good part of the trail, one needs to experience the starting section up first.

Are you still leading Meetup group trips ?

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Rex
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, scrambling and mountaineering.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

@John and Katie - its just one of those areas of Golden Ears that I don't really care about to be honest lol.... just use GE mainly for quick and easy access place to break a sweat, I know the place like the back of my hand and I still occasionally find things I was not aware of... and I look forward to seeing the place evolve... there is some strong interest from various local groups to help build it out... hopefully that all gets more traction over the next few years... there is so much potential but somewhat hampered by large swaths of land on the lower flanks of Alouette that are unaesthetic second growth where the forest floor seems to have not really recovered or even began to recover from the forestry practices.

@martin - Yes, that is definitely doable, but I would suggest winter - lots of undergrowth, devils club, etc... better to do this on a layer of snow.

@KARVITK - No, I collapsed the meetup almost 2 years ago now.

Photos: Flickr
Journal: Livetrails

Nothing worthwhile is easy.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page