Crown Mountain - Oct. 6, 2018 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Crown Mountain - Oct. 6, 2018

I've been meaning to do the hike to Crown Mountain for quite some time now. This year I've also made a point of trying to only do hiking trips I've never done in the past.
It was great to see sunshine on Saturday, and even better to be hiking in it.

I started out around 8:45am at the bottom of the Grouse Grind. Lots of people around, but not too crazy. 1hr 10min for the grind.
I stopped around the lodge area for a few minutes to check out the grizzly bear brothers. A few hours later I was at the top of Crown Mountain.
Here's a few pics I took while out there and a link to a YouTube video I made of the trip.

My trip was 7 hours, 12.7km, and over 4000 feet elevation gain. Lots of class 3 on this one!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-10-06-20h24m47s433.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	455.3 KB
ID:	263518  

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-10-06-20h23m40s606.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	263520  

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-10-06-20h37m08s357.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	263522  

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-10-07-21h39m57s774.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	882.1 KB
ID:	263524  

Name:	vlcsnap-2018-10-07-21h38m26s243.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	998.0 KB
ID:	263526  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-08-2018, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

oops! Looks like I posted this in the wrong place. Any way a mod can move this into the Trip Report section for me?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/10...rown-mountain/

They just got him down... a musician from the UK. Anyway, glad your trip wasn't as eventful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
https://www.citynews1130.com/2018/10...rown-mountain/

They just got him down... a musician from the UK. Anyway, glad your trip wasn't as eventful.

WOW! I wonder what he was doing way out on that cliff face? Oh well, at least the guy is OK!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2018, 07:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by uboat_hiker View Post
WOW! I wonder what he was doing way out on that cliff face? Oh well, at least the guy is OK!!
He was probably had an app that uses the Openstreetmap / Openhikingmap data, which shows a "trail" down that rock face.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 01:32 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
He was probably had an app that uses the Openstreetmap / Openhikingmap data, which shows a "trail" down that rock face.
Yes. Just watched report on Global and this is exactly what happened. They also said something along the lines of "phone app got him in trouble, but phone also saved him because he was able to flag, and stay in touch with, rescue"

IMHO yet another example of questionable role of modern technology when it comes to outdoors, and how it will never be substitute for proper research, common sense and experience
Spectrum likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 03:18 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post

Correct - using an app that used the OSM dataset, which renders hiking trails the same as climbing/mountaineering/scrambling routes (as do the apps that pull their data from OSM). A known issue that has caused two recent rescues. More info here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/searchandre...openstreetmap/

-Ryan
martin likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 12:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan.in.yaletown View Post
Correct - using an app that used the OSM dataset, which renders hiking trails the same as climbing/mountaineering/scrambling routes (as do the apps that pull their data from OSM). A known issue that has caused two recent rescues. More info here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/searchandre...openstreetmap/

-Ryan

I think the known issuse are those two people were quite dumb and clueless. I'm sure alot of other people have used the same apps and programs and managed to hike Harvey & Crown the hikers way.
tedoliver likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 08:19 PM
Summit Master

uboat_hiker, how much is Grouse download these days? (On video you say "It's 10 or 15"). Last time I took it it was $10, wondering if it went up in the meantime
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2018, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
uboat_hiker, how much is Grouse download these days? (On video you say "It's 10 or 15"). Last time I took it it was $10, wondering if it went up in the meantime

It was $15 for a ride down. A small price to pay to save my knees
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 06:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

I5 bucks to make your knees worse? The best things for knees are deep barbell squats and walking downhill,and don't let any"experts"like doctors or personal trainers tell you otherwise. If you cant walk downhill you won't be climbing many mountains. Nice report,Crown is a nice peak.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 08:41 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedoliver View Post
I5 bucks to make your knees worse? The best things for knees are deep barbell squats and walking downhill,and don't let any"experts"like doctors or personal trainers tell you otherwise.

I would like to understand this reasoning a bit better. Joint wear and tear accumulates with years, no? I hike 35+ years and find that managing strain (hiking poles, descent speed, hydration, etc.) has impact. After full day of effort -- Grind up, Crown in and out on quite demanding terrain -- giving your knees bit of break by not forcing them to drop 840m in 2km would not be such a bad thing?
russellcoffin likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 10:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I would like to understand this reasoning a bit better. Joint wear and tear accumulates with years, no? I hike 35+ years and find that managing strain (hiking poles, descent speed, hydration, etc.) has impact. After full day of effort -- Grind up, Crown in and out on quite demanding terrain -- giving your knees bit of break by not forcing them to drop 840m in 2km would not be such a bad thing?
Hiking downhill creates a lot of shear force which act on the knee especially when you consider the weight of your body, heavy pack and irregular ground act to destabilize the knee joint. Muscle like the quadriceps, gastrocnemius and hamstring help stabilize the knee so exercises aimed to strengthen and develop those muscles will benefit. Hiking poles also lessen the forces on the knee by absorbing a lot of the shock on the arms and wrist.

Not all climbers/hikers etc are susceptible to joint wear however overuse injuries can occur which causes cumulative damage to the tendons, ligaments and cartilage.

I do squats & other exercises at home, use hiking poles and take smaller steps when descending and find that helps a lot.
tedoliver likes this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Hiking downhill creates a lot of shear force which act on the knee especially when you consider the weight of your body, heavy pack and irregular ground act to destabilize the knee joint. Muscle like the quadriceps, gastrocnemius and hamstring help stabilize the knee so exercises aimed to strengthen and develop those muscles will benefit. Hiking poles also lessen the forces on the knee by absorbing a lot of the shock on the arms and wrist.

I do squats & other exercises at home, use hiking poles and take smaller steps when descending and find that helps a lot.

Agreed. But this just speaks in favor of taking Gondola ride down after bone jarring exercise descending that slope above Crown pass.

I have personal interest in the topic. I have no problems walking in the city, park, etc. But after day in the mountains on descent sometimes my left knee acts like it is going to buckle, and I have to stop and take few baby steps before I can continue. On descent only, and only after I've been hiking 5hrs at least. This is fairly recent, last 2-3 years. Signs of age I guess
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2018, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Great trip well done.

Did that hike once including part on snow. Looks it was a great day to chilll out on the summit.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page