Guanaco Peak 08-12-18 - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 11:28 AM
Scaling New Heights

It's hilarious to see old school users of this site complain about it's slow demise, then watch them chastise a new forum contributor for the mis-use of the word conquer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2018, 06:38 PM
Banned

^ Ya I'd have to agree. Does it really matter if he uses the word "conquer". Geez. Whether it's the right word or not, his Tr's are useful for those who hike in that area and are written without hubris, and certainly aren't done just for "the Gram" or whatever social media wankers are using these days. Plus he's helping keep the site alive for the lurkers and peepers who use the info here.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 03:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
^ Ya I'd have to agree. Does it really matter if he uses the word "conquer". Geez. Whether it's the right word or not, his Tr's are useful for those who hike in that area and are written without hubris, and certainly aren't done just for "the Gram" or whatever social media wankers are using these days. Plus he's helping keep the site alive for the lurkers and peepers who use the info here.

I agree with this.

BUT this topic about conquering has been going on for awhile now with him and isn't something new. He's fine with still using it, and certain people including myself are fine with pointing it out. This is nothing compared to the days of when Time2Climb was around and the stuff that would get said lol!
tedoliver likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 04:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Guanaco is a beautiful peak,it would be fun to get a group together and remove that cable and other junk so it could be "conquered" by fair means,I would be interested in helping. It's interesting to note "The Conquest of Everest " later had the title changed to "The Ascent of Everest ". Maybe a reflection of post war,post colonial thinking? What ct needs is a no holds barred forum where people can slag and curse each other without restraint,the thin skinned among us can always avert their eyes. In the grachman/Time2Climb days a trip up Grouse would garner 2 pages of response,now Drew's excellent Waddington report only managed 8 replies. Waddington. Shit.
""
post #20 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:16 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Thanks for the trip report Chris and keep conquering your mountains.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #21 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Meant to say Vicuna instead of Guanaco in my above reply.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 05:43 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
Thanks for the trip report Chris and keep conquering your mountains.

+1. woodland and CandySack made excellent points too

Continuously ridiculing immigrants that have English as 2nd language is narrow-minded and just plain ignorant. Core values of this country are something totally different.

Please don't let few dumb comments discourage you Chris; most of us enjoy reading about your adventures. Looking forward to more of your mountain conquests.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 08:34 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
+1. woodland and CandySack made excellent points too

Continuously ridiculing immigrants that have English as 2nd language is narrow-minded and just plain ignorant. Core values of this country are something totally different.

Please don't let few dumb comments discourage you Chris; most of us enjoy reading about your adventures. Looking forward to more of your mountain conquests.
Excuse me???? I was not ridiculing him but supporting him. I have no problem at all with him using the word conquering and that is why I used it. And if you have any doubt of that please PM Chris as I sent him an email of support.

post #24 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:10 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
Excuse me???? I was not ridiculing him but supporting him. I have no problem at all with him using the word conquering and that is why I used it. And if you have any doubt of that please PM Chris as I sent him an email of support.

No, you didn't understand. It was obvious you were supportive; my comment was targeted towards earlier posts on page 1.
It is great you sent him PM of support, and thanks for doing that
TimeToGoHiking likes this.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2018, 09:13 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
No, you didn't understand. It was obvious you were supportive; my comment was targeted towards earlier posts on page 1.
It is great you sent him PM of support, and thanks for doing that

My apologies, I misunderstood the target of your comment as you had quoted me. Sorry about about that.
zeljkok likes this.

Last edited by TimeToGoHiking; 09-13-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 05:13 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Okay I"ve said enough on the subject, I'll save it for the next time this comes up.

Last edited by Spectrum; 09-14-2018 at 11:35 AM.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2018, 11:00 AM
Banned

Yo Spectrum, as you said before, it's 2018. There's offensive things everywhere. But with all the chaos, suffering and insanity going on in the world and in our own communities, and all the BS spread through social media, that you would bully someone on an obscure hiking website like CT over a rather innocuous choice of words is pathetic.

Ted that's an interesting point about the post-colonial use of the word blah blah blah. But of all people, are YOU really going to call people out about being politically correct?! Ha!
tedoliver, solo75 and Tenderfoot like this.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 10:52 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: bushcraft, survival, hiking
Default conquer input

Hi,

Just wanted to point out that I agree with the post's about a certain group being all over certain things on clubtread which does not lead to a community spirit.

My hiking partner and I often discuss the people on clubtread who post from a very Elitist point of view. Perhaps forgetting that some people are new, beginner's, or not boundary pushing Mountaineers - in this case lets face it for some on here that is ALL YOU GOT going for you. In every other social circumstance you would be the bullied person.

We often discuss - "Hey guys it's just hiking" in terms of some of the perspectives on here. Like cool it.

I agree 100% that this is a dying website and Chris S is likely one of the few that keep it going. But in my opinion it is dying because people are afraid to post and do not want the ridicule from the "LEADERS" on this site.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page