S2S = Sea to Sky Brandywine Meadows & Alpine- Eeek, Cal-Cheak! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 1 Post By grousegrinder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:07 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Brandywine Meadows & Alpine- Eeek, Cal-Cheak!

Well, Saturday was a beautiful day to be up in the alpine. We stayed overnight Friday at the local Cal-Cheak FS campground to get a decent start
and of course a getaway from the urban hustle. Right on the Cheakamus river, a beauty site. Sounds good except that its so hard to believe that
in 2018 people still have so little appreciation of the outdoors. People arrived and set up tents in random forest spots near people who paid for sites
had already setup? How low can you go? There's more, next door to us were 2 guys who literally spread out all their groceries on a blanket and
left them in the open the whole day(bags of stuff like oranges, bread, hotdogs, chips) there fully exposed to wildlife. After 6 that day I stopped
one, made up a story about a blackbear and 2 cubs in the area with a warning from the site operator and then they backed their card down and
loaded up the trunk. Saturday night, 8 people showed up to camp at their site and the other side of us saw the quiet tent owners rolling out speaker
cables and connecting to the sound system in their pickup! So much for nature and respect for flora and fauna. Just stay home folks, you'll be eaten
or beaten with this mindset!(we packed up)

Sorry, I digress, Brandywine Meadows is a rough drive up for sure but the fact that if your vehicle has the clearance and rubber(one crazy cat
drove his Ford Escape right to the trailhead about 2 km from the snowmobile cabin parking area,, high risk damaging not worth it). You are less
than an hours walk from spectacular meadows, awesome glacier views and an alpine plethora of above tree line exploration options!
We were a group of 4 with 2 dogs. 3 of us went up to what i would call the "grassy west ridge" and that was about 1.5 hours once you reach the
meadows "mouth" or 2.5 hrs from the car. Out 4th person had the wheels to go up to the "rocky west ridge" above us and get the fab view into
the next valley below. Its the one you see below and behind Mt Brew.

The Meadows are easy access but make no mistake, Brandywine Mtn is a long haul, steep, challenging and includes crossing snowfields so not to
be underestimated! I've seen 5 hour one way estimates and I believe it if you are spry or longer and grueling if you are not.

The wildflowers are out, the mosquitos are NOT, a few late afternoon descending but minor discomfort. Lots of water still coming down so the falls
are huge and in concert! One of the few hikes I am always open to repeating.
Attached Images

treord8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 11:54 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Awesome pics! We were up in Tricouni around the same time; similar meadows and views, and one that we always want to go back to as well. Brandywine is on our list as well. Too bad about the campsite, but at least you made the best of it.

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2018, 05:07 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Nice report and that's a crazy story about the car camping, Maybe they should have car camping licenses and if you pull stunts like that, they revoke the license? I guess they already do that with boats and it doesn't seem to keep the crazies away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 01:35 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Great trip report! I snowshoed Brandywine Meadows a few years ago, it would be great to return during the summer. A lot of uneducated and unethical urban dwellers ruin nature. I don't see it so much in regards to camping but I do see it a lot in many of the trails I visit, where I see rubbish from fly tippers on or around the trail. Chilliwack is the worst area of all.

I would like to experience Brandywine Mountain, and I do hear that it is quite difficult. Unfortunately I do not believe there is an actual established trail from the meadows to the peak.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Yes, Tricouni is also one of the few hikes that I repeat east side and west side accesses. I haven't summited from the meadows though, only the stream side trail but what a view! I think we counted 11 lakes you can see from Tricouni! That whole area is awe inspiring as you can stay high for days meandering ridges and peaks as so many are connected.
treord8 likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Yeah, Chilliwack valley is a garbage dump wherever there is parking nearby. It's boggling that people who say they "enjoy" the outdoors would then litter it so badly without an iota of responsible conscience. That said,trails like McGuire, Flora, Radium, Frosty, & Windy Joe are all clean up high thanks goodness!
You are right about Brandywine Mtn, you pick your route though I think its generally obvious that route choice is clear, maybe 2 ways as the rest are daunting and require 4 legs with hoofs! I haven't topped it yet but an early start for sure and highly worth it. To think we have glaciers so close on foot is really something. Like Cypress Peak, heck of a nice hike(and Brew too).
treord8 likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

I don't often camp but this Forest service one is no where at the level of the provincial park sites. Those I have visited are pretty good and supervised to uphold the nice camping experience day and night. Lesson learned.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page