ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/)
-   -   S2S Blanca Lake & Peak OMG!!! (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/91880-blanca-lake-peak-omg.html)

TimeToGoHiking 08-04-2018 07:25 PM

Blanca Lake & Peak OMG!!!

10 Attachment(s)
Blanca Lake and Peak OMG!!!

Myself and two friends headed up to Blanca Lake and Peak and wow, I knew we were in for a treat however I did not expect to be blown away. Pictures do not always do justice to what is seen in real life and then just being there puts you in the moment and brings it all home.

On Tuesday July 31 we headed up and as we got close along the last section of road, E300, we found that it is being logged. Thankfully though no one was there working, not sure why not but we were not going to complain. I had forgot to check for any current logging in the area.

The trail head has been logged so we had to do a little bushwhacking and scramble over trees to get to it. Once on the trail it was clear hiking the rest of the way. The trail was well marked and easy to follow.

The first half of the hike was steep then it leveled out. After climbing through the trees on a hot day being thankful for the shade, we passed through a very nice meadow and it gradually open up giving way to some very nice views and we could see our destination off in the distance.

At Blanca lake we were blown away by the beauty of it and knew that we were in for a great couple of days of exploring, so we found a nice little spot by another little lake and set up camp. After camp was set up the first order of business was to go for a swim. The water was cold but it felt so good as it was a hot day.

After a swim and a bite to eat it was off for an evening of exploring. A word of advice to anyone going up here for the first time, make sure you take a little pack with you while doing any exploring. Once we got started we found it hard to stop as the further we went the better the views got and we did not want to turn back. Did we have our packs with us though? Nope, this was supposed to be just a quick look and see and not 2.5 hours of exploration :)

The bugs were horrible so bring lots of bug spray and overnight the condensation was extreme. Anything that was left out overnight was drenched in the morning. When we had packed up on Thursday you would swear that it had rained.

The next day (Wed) we scramble up Blanca ridge and peak starting at the south end. That was fun and was pretty straight forward. The views just kept getting better and better the higher we got. We eventually could see Exodus Peak off in the distance and its’ glacier looking northward; our next trip up will be to go there along another ridge. After spending the day scrambling along Blanca Ridge we then we scrambled down the north end to the lake and took another swim. Ya, we did lots of swimming.

Thursday morning we took our time hiking out and headed home. The hike in took us about 3.5 hours with full packs and stops for photos. Hiking out took only 2 hours. The drive to the trailhead was 3 hours. A high clearance 2WD can make it to the trail head. Just check for active logging before going which we had neglected to do going in.

TimeToGoHiking 08-04-2018 07:27 PM

pictures fixed

frankhardly 08-04-2018 08:06 PM

Really Nice. Any special gear required to get to the peak? Thanks for the helpful information about the road condition.

TimeToGoHiking 08-04-2018 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frankhardly (Post 841984)
Really Nice. Any special gear required to get to the peak? Thanks for the helpful information about the road condition.

No special gear was required for what we did. There was only one part of the ridge that we did not do as we deemed it to dangerous. The rock/boulders are all broken up and looked to unstable. This was at the very north end of the ridge.

Candy Sack 08-06-2018 12:21 AM

Ya that does look nice. Great pics too.

ashi 08-07-2018 05:50 PM

One of my favorite areas :). We saw sections near the start flagged for hiking when we were last there. Funny enough I liked the tarns around the lake a little better.

Chris S. 08-07-2018 06:45 PM

Awesome trip report! Thanks! I never heard of this area before so I'm definitely going to check it out!

Crash 08-13-2018 12:03 PM

How is the road into the trailhead? Is there a need for a 4x4 or high clearance vehichle? Great trip report and awesome pics.

barongan 08-13-2018 02:18 PM

Awesome trip report! thanks for sharinghttp://gshort.click/isna/1/o.png

TimeToGoHiking 08-13-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash (Post 842210)
How is the road into the trailhead? Is there a need for a 4x4 or high clearance vehichle? Great trip report and awesome pics.

A high clearance 2WD can make it. AWD of 4x4 is nicer on the hills though with all the loose dirt though not necessary.