User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By pr0ccy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 09:05 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Pinecone Burke - Munro Creek Trail

Hello All.

Thanks to a few posts on this board I was able to find the old water pit on Munro Creek on Burke Mountain. I didn't take very many photos but if there is interest I can post some in the future.

How to get here : Take Quarry Road all the way to the SEC gate. Park near the bridge. From here I've been just following the creek until there is an old tree fort which was built in the middle of the creek. This would be impossible during any medium-high creek flow, in which case you would have to approach the forest closer to the actual gate and climb above the creek. The bush isn't terrible and the distance isn't long. A new trail section here would be fantastic and not difficult to build.
Once you reach the tree fort area, depending on your approach, you will find the old path. It runs above the creek on the right hand side. It is slightly overgrown but very quick to follow. Soon it will lead you to a very short cliff section with an obvious line through. My visits have undoubtedly helped the path become more clear! You can follow this a little farther until you see the first cascades, split in the center and splashing down the rocks on either side. Here you can drop down to the creek to explore the water pit, or just keep going up the path.

If you drop off the path here to the bottom of the cascades. To the very left of this you will find the water pit. There is metal crap everywhere. You will see basically a mine opening. You can climb above this to the top of the pit and look down into it. It is huge and super creepy. If you are looking down into the pit, you are now above the falls. I explored the very top of the falls and found some harness material tied to a tree, right above one of the waterfalls. It didn't look very old at all. Has someone been rappelling down the falls recently haha? This is where I followed the creek shortly and saw a big waterfall in the distance, so I climbed back up the right side and re-met with the old path.

Keep going and you will begin to approach the next waterfall. If you want to visit it, you have to leave the path, dropping down, and hike up the creek again. So far this is my favorite spot. There is a pool and a spot to jump in below the falls. Old growth trees dot the inside of the canyon up here. It is truly paradise on hot summer days like this. I could hang out here all day. You could too if you can stand being stalked by the odd horsefly.

After some swimming and sunbathing, I went back to the path. It keeps going. The next waterfall is again, visible through the trees in the distance and obvious where to access. If you explore here you will notice very steep cliffs on both sides, and the creek takes on beautiful running watercarved features over massive slab as opposed to the bouldery mess it normally is. The next fall is also amazing but the bottom is stuffed with deadfall and you can't swim. So I turned around and went back to the old path, again!
Here it gets pretty steep. This is actually where I first saw some flagging. I huffed it up the hill pretty good, and came to some rock features. It gets quite steep. I was above the last waterfall but the terrain changed to steep and I could no longer re-enter the creek. There is probably a route through but I have yet to go beyond. Satellite pictures show 2 more (huge) waterfalls beyond but topographic maps suggest it would be very very difficult to access the pools. This is my 10th~ time in the area and I will be going back obsessively.

I know at least 1 person who has hiked this route all the way to Munro Lake, so that is possible.

A truly beautiful and secluded place, very seldom visited, and directly in our back yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_120650.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	260644  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180728_120347.jpg
Views:	731
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	260646  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 10:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice shots! I live just around that area and yet I've never hiked in Coquitlam!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page