5Likes
  • 2 Post By frankhardly
  • 3 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything mountain related
Default Golden Ears Summit

So my daughter and I had in mind to do Golden Ears today and the weather looked iffy, but at best it would be cooler than previous days. We decided to go ahead anyway as I've not hiked in this area and it was on our to do list. We did it as a day trip. Left the car at the West Canyon parking lot at 7:55 am and got to the emergency shelter at noon. Made the summit around 1 pm and didn't linger. Back at the emergency shelter at 2 pm and back to the car at 5:15 pm. Altogether about 9 hours 20 min. I would rate this hike as one of the more grueling day hikes I've done due to the combined 1800 meter elevation along with 24 km round trip. As with many West Coast hikes, the horizontal slog on either a relatively flat trail or logging roads makes me consider accelerating my desire to find a used downhill mountain bike that I intend to put an electric motor on to get quicker to the good stuff. Anyway I digress. The hike is great, and the weather was modestly cool without too many bugs. The only downside is that once we reached the shelter, visibility was no more than 10 meters which made it challenging for route finding. Could see some old glissade tracks that helped and I had a map from Alltrails that showed our position along with altimeter in my gps. Used crampons and ice axe to get to the summit ridge, but lack of visibility made it hard to see where we were going. Fortunately at the top of the steep snow slope I could discern a faint trail off to the edge of the snow on the right. Ditched the snow/ice gear after we got on the ridge as the path was snow free and the intermittent flagging helped. It didn't alleviate the disappointment of a couple of false summits, but eventually there was no more elevation to gain and a couple of memorial plaques along with grad graffiti indicated we were on top. I'm sure the view is spectacular, but I'm not going back again as I've ticked this one off my list.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cool tree.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	808.2 KB
ID:	260110  

Name:	Emergency Shelter.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	260112  

Name:	Golden ears sign.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	739.7 KB
ID:	260114  

Name:	Ladder.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	629.4 KB
ID:	260116  

Name:	Summit Heather.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	951.5 KB
ID:	260118  

Name:	Summit Photo.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	336.1 KB
ID:	260120  

martin and treord8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:50 PM
Summit Master

Good going and congrats to both father and daughter. This is not easy considering total distance, cumulative elevation and type of terrain. I remember doing it in 2010; started at 11:30 am from West Canyon and was back to the car around 10pm; last couple of hours from Alder Flats with headlamp on return.

Too bad about the clouds; view is quite nice from up there. Here's one of my all time favorite pics from BC Coast I took around 5pm just before heading back:

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 9.43.57 PM.png
Views:	100
Size:	934.0 KB
ID:	260122
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Thanks for the reply. Beautiful photo of yours. Its a fantastic shot. Any idea what the little lake below the peaks is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 12:02 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardly View Post
Any idea what the little lake below the peaks is?

Yes. It is Raven Lake. I've seen reports of people getting up there, basically by following East Canyon Trail for ~10 km, crossing Gold Creek (as for going to Hector Ferguson) then bushwhacking from the other side. It was horror bushwhack, but he/they made it:

Name:  Screen Shot 2018-07-19 at 10.04.03 PM.png
Views: 479
Size:  542.2 KB

Here is link to full report I found on CT:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-brit...24-2011-a.html

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-20-2018 at 12:06 AM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Very nice, it is been a while since seen a recent TR on Golden EArs.

Superb you completing it and sharing.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 12:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Awesome trip report! You are in incredible shape to have completed that in such short time. I was hoping of conquering that trail one day. In my current condition I must do it overnight possibly camping at Alder Flats. I've never hiked the Golden Ears before, and I'm surprised you'll still need mountaineering equipment to get up there despite the extremely hot weather.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2018, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Hi Chris. Thanks for the reply. I like to err on the side of caution wrt equipment. In our case, in the near white out condition, it seemed prudent to have the crampons and ice axe. The final bit was steep and not really seeing where you are going made it seem slightly less daunting with the extra grip and protection. The snow slope wasn't as soft as I would like not to have crampons and axe. In full sun, I imagine that with sturdy hiking boots it would have been perfectly ok to just kick steps where needed. But with lightweight equipment, its nice to have the luxury of taking them along just in case.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page