User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By woodland.telegraph
  • 1 Post By woodland.telegraph

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Tenquille, Black Wolf, Led Zeppelin

Can someone please solve the eternal mystery: is it Ten keel or Ten quill?

A quick + dirty Ten Keel TR from July 6-8, 2018.

Weather encountered: Mosquitos, Mud, Thunder, Hail, Rain, Cloud, Sun
Gnomes encountered: 0 (?)

Hurley Rd was a pleasure, Branch 12 first section has big + smooth waterbars (thanks for the info xj6response); Kia parked at first parking spot. 2nd portion of road was steep/rockyish, and passable in a Chevy Tracker with a few bangs. Skid plate appreciated.

On trail at 11am, destroyed by mozzies for the next 1.5 hours. At the meadows, happy muddy trails. Then thunder/lightning, hail, hiding like cavemen in the trees. Some grunting. 5 minutes from cabin, cavemen unaware.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	259806

Got to the cabin, it is beautiful like it was constructed by forest gnomes. Waiting for a break in the clouds + rain, we head out for Copper Mound around 3pm. On cue: rain gods descend. But then, a window of not-rain - an we're off!

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	966.5 KB
ID:	259808

At the saddle, we watch the dark clouds hit the mountain and peel off towards Goat Peak, so we go for it. Easy snow slopes wrap around the face and up. We left our lightning rods (ice axes) at the cabin; last little bit was steep, then we are on top.

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	707.3 KB
ID:	259810

From here, the clouds look like a Led Zeppelin album cover, so we don't dilly-dally.

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	998.7 KB
ID:	259812

Weather report for the descent: keep going. A quick slide down to meadows just in time for the rain. Nice wolf tracks in the snow.

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	964.3 KB
ID:	259814

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	259816

At the cabin, we meet 2 cool doods from Bellingham, WA. We share drinks and they regale us with hilarious stories, then my buddy spots a black wolf out the window of the cabin. Wolfie is doing the rounds from campsites over to the gray water tree, so we have lots of time to stare in awe.

Next day = rain, clearing, rain, mist. We head out and wander towards Tenquille Mountain; one of our Bellingham friends gets on his bike to go up Barbour's Draw. Try to avoid the gully from hell (close to the creek) heading up, as it was un-like-ably loose + steep.

Name:	20180707_150544.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	259818

Near the col, we head up a steep-ish snow slope and find some cairns at the top to follow as the clouds lift. After waiting out a bit more rain, we headed up and summited. I think we also ate a snickers bar; nice view of Chipmunk Peak.

Name:	11.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	787.1 KB
ID:	259820

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.45 MB
ID:	259822

Back to the gnome-house, there were alot more people there. More cheese was eaten, no wolfie sightings. Bellingham mountain biker reported lots of snow in Barbour's Draw, good on him for the effort!

Name:	13.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	1.27 MB
ID:	259824

We hiked out on Sunday, bombed down to Pemberton for coffee, swam at Alice Lake, then on the ferry back to the Sunshine Coast for 7pm.

Oh! And if you've read this far, here's the good news: the mozzies are still sleeping at the meadows and cabin, so get up there in the next little bit!
treord8 likes this.

Last edited by woodland.telegraph; 07-13-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:58 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Damn that is absolutely epic! I'm at a loss for words! What an adventure!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Oh man, what a great spot and super TR, many thanks. From my days, as forester, working that area, it's TEN-KEEL

Any more 4X4 drivability info in the 2nd part of the BR 12 rd? My trailhawk goes just about anywhere but as its' a 2015 and still very pretty. I'm too candy-ass to let it get pin striped. That said, I'll do pretty much anything to avoid hiking on roads.

What a great spot

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Great report! I agree with Xj6, it's TEN-KEEL.

Xj6, I had the new-ish truck / pin-striping dilemma a few years ago. Think of it like jumping into a cold tarn at this time of year, hesitation at first but once you get in there it's great and you don't have to worry about it any more!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 06:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Great report! I agree with Xj6, it's TEN-KEEL.

Xj6, I had the new-ish truck / pin-striping dilemma a few years ago. Think of it like jumping into a cold tarn at this time of year, hesitation at first but once you get in there it's great and you don't have to worry about it any more!

Aaarrgghh .... no! My old Grand Cherokee looked like an SOS pad LOL, so scratched up, poor thing. This Cherokee Trailhawk climbs like goat but it's so pretty, just can't bear to scratch it up, yet ... one day, maybe

post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Oh man, what a great spot and super TR, many thanks. From my days, as forester, working that area, it's TEN-KEEL

Any more 4X4 drivability info in the 2nd part of the BR 12 rd? My trailhawk goes just about anywhere but as its' a 2015 and still very pretty. I'm too candy-ass to let it get pin striped. That said, I'll do pretty much anything to avoid hiking on roads.

What a great spot
When I was there last, which was some time ago, in the beginning there were some overgrown trees but nothing enough to reach out and scratch your paint like Baby Munday or Vicuna Peak. I think the biggest concern would be the very deep waterbars, and in all of the 4x4 roads I've encountered only Mount Cheam was worse than Tenquille Lake. My vehicle, "Friends With Benefits" is a 2004 F-150 FX4, crew cab with a 5.5" shortbox and a 3-inch level. I'm not sure what the ground clearance at the differential is as I've never measured it, but it's enough to get me practically anywhere and everywhere, although it did complain at Tenquille Lake. As mentioned on a previous post, I beat up the hitch and the dual exhaust. If your Trailhawk doesn't have skidplates I wouldn't attempt to drive all the way to the trailhead.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 01:08 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
When I was there last, which was some time ago, in the beginning there were some overgrown trees but nothing enough to reach out and scratch your paint like Baby Munday or Vicuna Peak. I think the biggest concern would be the very deep waterbars, and in all of the 4x4 roads I've encountered only Mount Cheam was worse than Tenquille Lake. My vehicle, "Friends With Benefits" is a 2004 F-150 FX4, crew cab with a 5.5" shortbox and a 3-inch level. I'm not sure what the ground clearance at the differential is as I've never measured it, but it's enough to get me practically anywhere and everywhere, although it did complain at Tenquille Lake. As mentioned on a previous post, I beat up the hitch and the dual exhaust. If your Trailhawk doesn't have skidplates I wouldn't attempt to drive all the way to the trailhead.
Excellent info, thanks much. My Trailhawk has heavy duty steel skid plates which have been mightily beaten up and proved their worth. I'll give that TEN-KEEEL route a go some time this summer.

BTW, The toughest 4x4's I ever owned were Ford F150 pickups. Excellent, under-rated off road trucks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
I think you are good to go Andy... the 2nd section of Branch 12 is steep with a few burly sections, but I can't recall any serious pin striping spots. You gonna spend a few days up there and ramble around?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 12:30 AM
Summit Master

Which Led Zepp album cover has clouds on it?????
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Which Led Zepp album cover has clouds on it?????
Must have been this one

Name:  Led.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  135.6 KB
treord8 likes this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodland.telegraph View Post
Must have been this one

Attachment 260048

LOL! Can't believe you made the effort to edit the text. Must be quite a Led Zepp fan Stairway to Tenquille!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I think you are good to go Andy... the 2nd section of Branch 12 is steep with a few burly sections, but I can't recall any serious pin striping spots. You gonna spend a few days up there and ramble around?
Hey, thanks for that. Yup, sometime this season I'd like to get there and scamper a bit. Anything i can do to reduce time walking on old roads is a major goal as well

post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 11:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Must have been this one
That was really well done ... But it should say LED TEN-KEEL LOL

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Very nice, my kind of hike....

Great rambling country, love those ridges and slopes.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page