S2S = Sea to Sky Sigurd Peak Hike - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Sigurd Peak Hike

My husband and I attempted to do the Sigurd Peak hike yesterday (7/5/18). He had completed it two years ago on the hottest day (we think) of the summer - it was the day of the Squamish 50 mile run if anyone remembers that day. He ran out of water (3 liters went fast) and there was nothing on the trail to refill, so we came more prepared this time. Oh, and he lost his wedding ring that day, so if you're ever out there and see a squirrel looking like a mob boss, let us know.

First surprise since last time: the final two bridges are closed (see photo). Not a big deal because you can walk over the bridges and it's only a short distance to the trailhead from there. I was hoping they were only closed to cars, not pedestrians, too.

The hike up to the fork where you decide to go to Osso or the Peak was as expected. It was damp and full of mozzis (the whole way) so lots of slipping and no stopping for too long. After that, it got expectedly super steep. I really appreciated how well marked the trail was with ribbon but still had to hunt a bit in places to stay on track.

But then we got to a part, about 3 miles in, where it looked like a giant played a game of pickup sticks, his/her opponent didn't show up and he/she left in a fit of anger. We had to do a questionable scramble up some rocks and make our way across several large trees that had fallen over the path. Not for the faint of heart. Getting over and around and up and past all the fallen trees and debris probably cost us an hour.

Around 4 hours and 4.5 miles, I gave up. My husband thought we were almost to the clearing, and went on for about 10 minutes, but we weren't that close so he came back to find me covered in all the clothes I had in a cloud of citronella and lemon eucalyptus oil, hiding out from the mosquitos.

I didn't stop to take many photos because of the difficult going and the mozzis.
Maybe next time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_163607.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	259348  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180705_105235.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	259350  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 01:57 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the trip report, sorry to hear that you weren't able to find the ring or get to the peak. I hiked this last year, unsuccessfully as the snow appeared shortly after the cable assisted foot bridge. I'm surprised that the road is blocked off, I'm curious why they would do that. I'm hoping to return there sometime soon.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:55 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
I hiked this last year, unsuccessfully as the snow appeared shortly after the cable assisted foot bridge.
There is no cable assisted foot bridge on Sigurd Peak (aka Rose) trail. You have it mixed up with Ossa approach trail. Sigurd branches off way before you get to BCMC log bridge over Sigurd Creek.

thegarage, Sigurd is tough. Water can be found at couple of tarns just above treeline (filter needed). There is also large possibly permanent snow patch just before the summit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 05:26 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
I'm surprised that the road is blocked off, I'm curious why they would do that. I'm hoping to return there sometime soon.
The base/foundation of the first bridge is washing away. Another strong run off might take it out. There is a hydro electric dam up there so it will most likely get replaced when the risk of more flooding is done.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks for all the extra info (re water and the bridge). The hardest part really was all the trees down - really tired me out and slowed us down. Cheers! Caryn
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:58 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
There is no cable assisted foot bridge on Sigurd Peak (aka Rose) trail. You have it mixed up with Ossa approach trail. Sigurd branches off way before you get to BCMC log bridge over Sigurd Creek.

thegarage, Sigurd is tough. Water can be found at couple of tarns just above treeline (filter needed). There is also large possibly permanent snow patch just before the summit
Ah, yes! My apologies, thanks for the correction. I am planning in returning to this area later in the year under better conditions. Permanent snow patch? It must be a very high elevation.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page