User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By ryanmck
  • 1 Post By TimeToGoHiking

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Tamihi FSR access to Mount McGuire

On Monday, we drove to the high point of the Tamihi FSR to have a go at McGuire. The road is a bit overgrown, but otherwise in decent 4WD condition. There were a few narrow points:

Rainy weather and a poor route finding decision meant we didn't make it to the top of McGuire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180702_164312.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	259258  

treord8 likes this.

• We shall not cease from exploration...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmck View Post
On Monday, we drove to the high point of the Tamihi FSR to have a go at McGuire. The road is a bit overgrown, but otherwise in decent 4WD condition. There were a few narrow points:

Rainy weather and a poor route finding decision meant we didn't make it to the top of McGuire.
I'm going to tackle Mount McGuire in about 2 weeks. Thanks for the trip report, this came in quite handy. According to my GPS, you take the Tamihi FSR past a small bridge, then at the following fork in the road you make a left, the second fork you make another left, and shortly after another left fork that ends abruptly. I could be wrong, this will be an exploratory hike for me. I hope Friends With Benefits will fit through that rock, that seems quite narrow! I believe that's a Toyota RAV4.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180704_193245.png
Views:	197
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	259264  

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

It's a 4runner... A RAV4 would have no problems.

The drive up is fairly obvious, just follow the main road and if you come to a fork you're not sure about, go left. Near the end of the road there's a branch where the left fork looks like it's blocked by a clump of dirt/stumps. Drive around the stumps and continue up to the highest point possible. From there, hike up the gully on climber's right to get up to the ridge.

• We shall not cease from exploration...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 01:05 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmck View Post
It's a 4runner... A RAV4 would have no problems.

The drive up is fairly obvious, just follow the main road and if you come to a fork you're not sure about, go left. Near the end of the road there's a branch where the left fork looks like it's blocked by a clump of dirt/stumps. Drive around the stumps and continue up to the highest point possible. From there, hike up the gully on climber's right to get up to the ridge.
Thanks so much for the clarification! I'm looking forward to tackling this in 2 weeks!

Chris S.
Organizer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 09:50 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
Thanks so much for the clarification! I'm looking forward to tackling this in 2 weeks!
Chris, just an FYI, at the start of the hike, go up the boulder field. I did this last year and this was the only route finding issue that we had. At the start of the hike there had been a trail in the bush that took us elsewhere so we lost a few minutes otherwise we found things straight forward.

The views up top are very rewarding!

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 02:09 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
Chris, just an FYI, at the start of the hike, go up the boulder field. I did this last year and this was the only route finding issue that we had. At the start of the hike there had been a trail in the bush that took us elsewhere so we lost a few minutes otherwise we found things straight forward.

The views up top are very rewarding!
Thanks for your help! I'm really excited to return to Chilliwack for their awesome hikes!

Chris S.
Organizer
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:49 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

They have taken out the gate for the main Tamihi FSR, which swings around McGuire on it's Western Flank, then follows Tamihi Creek on the South side of the mountain to a point below Spencer Peak.
At one point in time this was a reasonable way to get up Spencer. We also hiked in to Tamihi Lake a few times and ascended Mount Tomyhoi from this road.

That being said, I'm pretty sure the other posters on this thread aren't talking about an approach from the South, but rather the North East ridge. I'm planning on doing McGuire later this summer, so would like to know if the tight rock squeeze is on the drive to the North East ridge.

Sorry Chris, the "start point" on your map is not going to lead to success. You'd have to ford Tamihi Creek, then hike up a v-shaped drainage with about 10 creeks coming in from the sides of the valley.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 09:09 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post

That being said, I'm pretty sure the other posters on this thread aren't talking about an approach from the South, but rather the North East ridge. I'm planning on doing McGuire later this summer, so would like to know if the tight rock squeeze is on the drive to the North East ridge.

Sorry Chris, the "start point" on your map is not going to lead to success. You'd have to ford Tamihi Creek, then hike up a v-shaped drainage with about 10 creeks coming in from the sides of the valley.
Yes take the NE route

Elkaholic likes this.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page