• 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By frankhardly
  • 2 Post By frankhardly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything mountain related
Default Hanes Valley

Was itching to do a longer hike today and having done Coliseum and Crown in the past, I wanted to connect the dots. The trail from Lynn Headwaters to Grouse via Hanes Valley is officially closed, but the only reason is the accumulation of snow still above Crown Pass and Dam and down to Grouse. The East side of Dam and the trail from the notch of Goat still has lots of snow and requires an ice axe and knowledge of how to use it. Fortunately I had crampons and ice axe (didn't use the crampons or micro spikes), but the axe was essential esp a tiny tricky area at the top of Hanes Valley near the top of Crown Pass. The log crossing over Lynn Creek had no issues and the water wasn't terribly high. Trail is well marked all along except for the Grouse to Goat Mountain trail where some of the markers are still under snow. Old melted footprints helped periodically. Temps were perfect today and the snow was soft enough to kick steps where needed except for the 10 to 15 feet near the crest of Crown Pass.
RickB, russellcoffin and leanoliv like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:32 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for the conditions update frankhardly..

Have done that route once without snow...

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the little trip report! Gotta love Hanes Valley.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 03:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

One day when I am in better condition and more experienced, I will conquer this trail. Thanks for the trip report! I always thought this was a summer only route!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Hi Chris. Its a long route with the sting near the end if you start from Lynn Headwaters. My daughter and I did it in 5 hrs 20 min to the Grouse Chalet. I'm 57 and in reasonable shape, but we like to hike fast. This included a 20 min lunch break below the Goat Mountain junction to Crown pass. If you stick to the 103 hikes recommended 8 hours, it would be a very easy going hike. Unless you are really familiar with the terrain from the Chalet to Crown Pass, I would avoid doing it in the snow. When I was a reckless 15 year old, me and a couple of school buddies would head up into the area in the middle of winter without much equipment and knowledge on multiple occasions. Lucky we didn't kill ourselves. I remember belaying myself from branches in the area where they now have chains when it was a snow gully. Cool thing was that there were some nice flowers blooming on the valley floor right now. Bunchberries and Red Columbine and some white flowers that looks like a type of Lilly.
xj6response likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 06:52 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhardly View Post
My daughter and I did it in 5 hrs 20 min to the Grouse Chalet.

That's pretty good time. I did Hanes in August when everything was dry, but I took side trip to Crown summit before heading to Grouse. Can't remember exactly but I believe it took ~9hrs.
frankhardly likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

That's a good trip to include the summit. Its a bit unfulfilling to say you just hiked a valley without bagging a peak. Would have been too much for us that day with the snow etc. But did get a good look at the Widowmaker Arete from below. Maybe for another day.
RickB likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 03:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Hi Chris. Its a long route with the sting near the end if you start from Lynn Headwaters. My daughter and I did it in 5 hrs 20 min to the Grouse Chalet. I'm 57 and in reasonable shape, but we like to hike fast. This included a 20 min lunch break below the Goat Mountain junction to Crown pass. If you stick to the 103 hikes recommended 8 hours, it would be a very easy going hike. Unless you are really familiar with the terrain from the Chalet to Crown Pass, I would avoid doing it in the snow. When I was a reckless 15 year old, me and a couple of school buddies would head up into the area in the middle of winter without much equipment and knowledge on multiple occasions. Lucky we didn't kill ourselves. I remember belaying myself from branches in the area where they now have chains when it was a snow gully. Cool thing was that there were some nice flowers blooming on the valley floor right now. Bunchberries and Red Columbine and some white flowers that looks like a type of Lilly.
That's crazy! If that happened these days then a child would be taken away from their parents, and their parents labelled as being "unsuitable" for parenting. Strange how we look back at our youth and the "normal" things we did would be considered "out of control" by today's standards!

Thanks for the information, I'm planning on researching this trail more before I head out. I'm middle aged with decent conditioning. My issues are joint pains on descents, my speed is average but endurance above average. I'll likely explore this area somewhat before I take on this route. Thanks again for the awesome trip report and detailed information!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 08:21 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Hi Chris. Its a long route with the sting near the end if you start from Lynn Headwaters. My daughter and I did it in 5 hrs 20 min to the Grouse Chalet. I'm 57 and in reasonable shape, .
Your daughter, she is an adult I take it, in pretty good shape? I ask because my daughter, who is 26, wants to do a north shore grunt with me when she is home from England in August. Hope the snow is toasted by then. I haven't been to Lynn headwaters for a long, long time but the idea of a dad/daughter trip sounds pretty good. Your time seems quite good, I'd probably be a bit slower than you on that trip.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2018, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Your daughter, she is an adult I take it, in pretty good shape? I ask because my daughter, who is 26, wants to do a north shore grunt with me when she is home from England in August. Hope the snow is toasted by then. I haven't been to Lynn headwaters for a long, long time but the idea of a dad/daughter trip sounds pretty good. Your time seems quite good, I'd probably be a bit slower than you on that trip.
My daughter is the same age and she's my hiking buddy. Great thing to have in common.
RickB and TimeToGoHiking like this.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 09:04 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: running, hiking, climbing, telemarking, biking

Nice report. You have reminded me of what a good trip this is, even though I have not done the Hanes Valley part for about 15 years. Crown Pass and Crown summit or the Camel is our more regular route.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page