Paton Lookout/Coliseum Mt. - May 31st, 2018 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Paton Lookout/Coliseum Mt. - May 31st, 2018

We arrived at the Seymour water treatment plant parking lot around 7:30am and walked to the trail for almost 2 hours. In hindsight, a bicycle would've saved us a lot of time and an unpleasant walk back. We went up the trail and reached the fork going to Paton Lookout and Coliseum Mountain. The original plan was to go to Coliseum and we took that path but as we got closer we saw the snow starting at around 950m. That and the bad conditions for what we were packing made us turn back and go to Paton Lookout. There's some few patches of snow at the lookout but none of them gets in your way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4060edited.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	825.0 KB
ID:	253393  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4183edited.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	635.7 KB
ID:	253401  

guntis, treord8 and russellcoffin like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 03:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Nice to see a TR as a first post!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2018, 07:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.

Any flying insects biting yet up there?

Every journey begins with one small step.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 11:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Cool pics! I've been wanting to do Coliseum for some time and I didn't know which way to approach it. I was originally considering taking the Headwaters Trail to Coliseum. This seems to be an alternate. Thanks for sharing!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

interesting alternative to hike Coliseium. nice to see your first post as a TR as stated earlier, welcome to CT.

k

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 12:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default the flys are bad

I was at Paton yesterday and the small flies are bad, I have seen them worse but yesterday they were swarming and some biting. Given where the snow line is (starts at about 1000 m) lots of moisture for them to hatch.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
Cool pics! I've been wanting to do Coliseum for some time and I didn't know which way to approach it. I was originally considering taking the Headwaters Trail to Coliseum. This seems to be an alternate. Thanks for sharing!
Hey Chris, I 100% recommend taking this route if you have a bike. It saves roughly 1.5-2 hours of walking along the trail to Norvan Falls, and is a less traveled approach. I would only recommend taking the Norvan Falls route if you 1) haven't been to NV falls, and 2) you would prefer the extra walking.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 06:52 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: What can I say, I love the outdoors. Backpacking, canoeing, hiking, fishing, a little cycling and so on and so on.
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddosdall View Post
I was at Paton yesterday and the small flies are bad, I have seen them worse but yesterday they were swarming and some biting. Given where the snow line is (starts at about 1000 m) lots of moisture for them to hatch.

That's what I figured. Will only get worse now for the rest of the year up until fall. Was thinking of actually overnighting up above in the snowy Coliseum/Burwell col area. Wondering how bad it's getting for bugs up there at present. Sometimes up above in the snow they won't migrate for awhile but this is the northshore however.

Every journey begins with one small step.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 12:00 AM
DWW
Hittin' the Trails

Is the bike path paved? Could you do it on a road bike or do you need a mountain bike? Thx
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2018, 09:46 PM
Hittin' the Trails

paved most of the way(first 10 km) and then its .6 km up gravel road which is mostly easier to walk anyway as it has lots of blow down anyway and steeper grade for last half (.3 km).
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2018, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
Nice to see a TR as a first post!
Yup! Been lurking for a while and thought this would be helpful haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidetrip View Post
Any flying insects biting yet up there?
It was terrible on the road to the trail, but on top at least for me it was fine. Might be worse now. Been thinking about doing that same overnight that you mentioned (with Lardethac maybe) but I still have to figure it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
I'm pretty sure this path is the most direct one (less elevation loss).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWW View Post
Is the bike path paved? Could you do it on a road bike or do you need a mountain bike? Thx
It's all paved until the half km section leading to the trail head. It's very good for biking, lots of other bikers too.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 03:50 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Any TR is helpful, it gives people pics of snowline and trail conditions etc etc. Good stuff.
guntis and zeljkok like this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2018, 02:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

What @Spectrum said. I still look to see what's going on, despite my inactivity. Coliseum is one of my favourite areas, so I appreciate seeing info on it.

Hoping to contribute again soon. 4 days pain free now (rehab sucks).
treord8 likes this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 02:11 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
What @Spectrum said. I still look to see what's going on, despite my inactivity. Coliseum is one of my favourite areas, so I appreciate seeing info on it.

Hoping to contribute again soon. 4 days pain free now (rehab sucks).
Get well soon guntis; Your reports are missed!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2018, 12:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Paton Viewpoint / Peak description from the book:

Route
• Start at the Seymour Valley Trailway parking lot. Bike, skateboard, run, or hike just over
9 km along the trailway, over the Stoney Creek bridge and past the 9-km marker
on the left.
• Continue along the trailway for another 250 m to a hard-to-see gravel road to the
left that cuts back upslope from the trailway. Go up this. There are several places
to hide and lock your bike. (If you arrive at the intersection of the trailway and the
closed to the public Seymour Dam road, you’ve gone too far.)
• At the end of the short gravel road (less than 1 km), and at the edge of Stoney Creek,
you will find the trailhead, which should be marked with a series of cairns and tape
flagging. The trailhead is to the right, across a ditch. Punch into the dark forest.
• Proceed up an initial steep patch past some giant cedar trees on a narrow but
well-trodden trail. Bask in the dappled sunlight along this section if the weather is
nice.
• As the trail ascends, you’ll see a sheer cliff down to Seymour Trailway on your right
and the sharp hanging valley of Stoney Creek on your left.
• At 580 m you will start seeing pleasant views out over the Seymour Valley. Also
straight down, so be careful.
• At 620 m, use your hands to climb up along an exposed slab of rock. The well-defined
trail continues, with good views looking south to the Needles ridge.
• At 775 m, come to a welcome flat bench that traverses the east side of a rocky knob.
There is a candy-cane-twisted cedar tree here.
• At around 800 m, there is a fine view of the sheer cliffs below Paton.
• After a short and rooty rise to the right of a rocky knob, take care not to continue
too far rightward, as the trail does an easily missed dog’s leg to the left, back into
the knob proper.
• After ascending the rocky bluff, punch out to another flat bench with a pleasing
view to the north over the Seymour Valley. Then come to a gentle and twisting
climb with boulders emerging from the rooty duff. The flagging continues as the
trail climbs.
• At 997 m there is a rocky patch where the trail splits. Take the right-hand path,
up to Paton Lookout (the left trail goes straight across towards the trail up to
Coliseum). The going here is steep and rocky and hands are occasionally needed,
but there is no exposure.
• Be sure to walk to the northeast end of the flat Paton Peak for fine views of Seymour
Lake.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page