User Tag List

4Likes
  • 2 Post By hikingthecascades
  • 2 Post By Norgie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

martin and Cousin Herb like this.

Last edited by hikingthecascades; 07-18-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-22-2018, 10:41 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Being outside as much as possible

It was such a fantastic day! Great write-up! What's next??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2018, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks Norgie! It was one of my favorite outdoor experiences. Scimitar is next!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 01:14 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Wow, what an incredible trip report! It looks like you basically bushwacked to the summit using GPS waypoints you preset prior to your trip. I wish I could do the same, however my outdoor survival skillset is not at a level where I would feel confident to undertake such a task. I have the trail to the Three Falls area off Strawberry Flats, however there seems to be no actual trail to Red Mountain that I know of. You also mention the dangers of Three Falls, can you clarify this? I have not been able to locate any information regarding dangers of this area. Thanks again for the awesome trip, I wish to be able to accomplish something like this in the future!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Hi Chris, there is not much information about this area. It's probable that back country skiers go this way in winter because we found some sort of ski binding not far from Three Falls.

We knew we had to avoid the Three Falls gorge, and as we hiked we judged the terrain accordingly. We were willing to circle around difficult terrain etc. The more common route to Red is via the Skyline 2 trail and then when the trail veers off to Mowich camp on the west side of Lone Goat, you continue route finding along the ridge to Red. We decided to take a more direct route but had only an estimate of what lay between Three Falls and Red. Ingrid and I have been doing more and more route finding over the years, so maybe that gave us the experience we needed and intuition about difficulties that might lie ahead.

The Three falls area is a gorge that cuts through the forest and heads north west-west towards Nepopekum and Shawatum peaks. I could see that on various maps and Google Earth. The closer you get to the gorge, the more cliffs you may encounter. We aimed for the broad flat area leading to Red, Lone Goat, and Snow Camp. We managed to travel at a good time when even though the water was high in the creeks, there were snow bridges to help us cross.

Maybe you could try route finding on shorter less critical hikes and work up to larger expeditions? That's been my method of learning. I hope that helps.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 03:40 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Looks amazing!
Could you suggest some trails that is doable with microspikes? I won't mind some snows on the trail.
I am thinking of Elfin lakes or Joffree lakes.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-24-2018, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Probably Elfin Lakes right now. Joffre Lakes is too busy.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:10 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingthecascades View Post
Hi Chris, there is not much information about this area. It's probable that back country skiers go this way in winter because we found some sort of ski binding not far from Three Falls.

We knew we had to avoid the Three Falls gorge, and as we hiked we judged the terrain accordingly. We were willing to circle around difficult terrain etc. The more common route to Red is via the Skyline 2 trail and then when the trail veers off to Mowich camp on the west side of Lone Goat, you continue route finding along the ridge to Red. We decided to take a more direct route but had only an estimate of what lay between Three Falls and Red. Ingrid and I have been doing more and more route finding over the years, so maybe that gave us the experience we needed and intuition about difficulties that might lie ahead.

The Three falls area is a gorge that cuts through the forest and heads north west-west towards Nepopekum and Shawatum peaks. I could see that on various maps and Google Earth. The closer you get to the gorge, the more cliffs you may encounter. We aimed for the broad flat area leading to Red, Lone Goat, and Snow Camp. We managed to travel at a good time when even though the water was high in the creeks, there were snow bridges to help us cross.

Maybe you could try route finding on shorter less critical hikes and work up to larger expeditions? That's been my method of learning. I hope that helps.
Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. I've done some route finding before but nothing like what you've accomplished here. That looks like quite the adventure! Thanks again for your help, I'm eager to hear about your next adventures!

Chris S.
Organizer
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 01:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikingthecascades View Post
Probably Elfin Lakes right now. Joffre Lakes is too busy.
I agree. Joffre Lakes is like the Quarry Rock of Pemberton. I've done it twice, once in the summer on the new route and once in the winter on the old route. I'll never do it again, there are far better hikes just down the road.

Elfin Lakes will be busy as well but definitely worth it. I plan on hitting that area myself in a few months.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Your welcome!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page