MV = Metro Vancouver Vancouver -> Squamish via HSCT and more - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List
Ian Robertson

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:28 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Sweet find with the trail map! FYI, in the post 2000's entries in the Lost Lake logbook there is a report of a group heading north-west from the hut and then following this/trail ridge shown on the dotted lines to Deeks Peak. They mentioned there were the occasional old, weathered flags along the way, however it was with snow on the ground so they couldn't tell if there was a footbed. Also, in some of Wildman's old reports he mentions he had made it from Deeks Peak to Marion/Phyllis lakes in his younger years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3125.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	664.6 KB
ID:	248777  

Dac-van and WildernessMan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 06:49 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Great stuff! Thank you! (only 39 years ago...how badly overgrown could it be? ha ha)
I really want to try this now. Better get back in shape...
The route on the north-east side of Deeks is horribly overgrown, and I highly doubt a trail ever existed. Sunday, we tried and failed heading up and offer a few pieces of advice to those who are going to try navigating this area.

1. This area has been logged at least twice since that "trail" existed. This has resulted in a complete change of the area and horrible terrain. A mix of steep ravines, cliff bands, logging debris, and trees spaced a foot away from each other is the norm.

2. Stay north west from all of the creeks coming down from Deeks Peak. These appear small on the map, but in reality are extremely steep, and completely rocky.

3. Don't follow what appears to be hiker's flagging tape, this is all logging tape and leads you no where.

4. Mick Range scaled this area in the 90's and said it was the same. No Fun.

5. We also looked for the trail up the west side of Capilano to Gordon Lake. Couldn't find anything and this is the exact same logging mess with brambles in between. Follow the logging roads up if you are going to try going up this route and don't take shortcuts.

While I highly believe we would have eventually succeeded if we had came down from Deeks Peak, I don't think it's safe at all and a trail will probably not work in this area. The entire valley has sharp cliffs that are extremely hard to navigate.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6587.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	260042  

Name:	Webp.net-compress-image.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	811.0 KB
ID:	260044  

post #33 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2018, 09:00 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Hey this is timely, just wondering if the gate for the lower road was still closed at the golf course? I was thinking about heading up Capilano soon. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Hey this is timely, just wondering if the gate for the lower road was still closed at the golf course? I was thinking about heading up Capilano soon. Thanks.
Hi Martin. The gate is unfortunately closed permanently. They are currently heli logging, and just recently replaced the bridge over furry creek, so there is a small chance that the gate will be open when you arrive to the trailhead. If you see it open, I highly do not recommend driving in as it will most definitely will be locked at the end of the day. The logging road is in excellent condition however and highly would recommend the bike and hike option. The old downing creek logging road is overgrown so it will not be easy to bike up that.
martin and Cousin Herb like this.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Moving in the moutains

Thank-you @ Russellcoffin. T'is the season for exploration : )
We all appreciate you sharing the info from your recon.
russellcoffin likes this.

Last edited by Snowshoe_run_crew; 07-20-2018 at 11:34 AM.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2018, 12:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Looks like some healthy tools would be required to reactivate the North section ... hopefully BCMC comes through with its plans to construct that HSCT North route!
post #37 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 01:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

I'll be posting more info soon … but we can add one more route to Deeks now, the route from Phyllis Lake on up will (with the addition of a couple of ropes) also go … short circuiting things to get to Capilano (and even moreso when a route gets sorted coming directly from the West instead of wrapping around the North).

The route needs 1x 10-15' rope, 1x15-20' rope - both of these are necessary to actually aid the climb/descent of some minor rock climbing, and then best also with two guide ropes just to give a bit of security on an exposed descent, both a bit shy of 15m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1904867997
and
https://www.strava.com/activities/1917536227
martin and guntis like this.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 02:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robertson View Post
I'll be posting more info soon but we can add one more route to Deeks now, the route from Phyllis Lake on up will (with the addition of a couple of ropes) also go short circuiting things to get to Capilano (and even moreso when a route gets sorted coming directly from the West instead of wrapping around the North).

The route needs 1x 10-15' rope, 1x15-20' rope - both of these are necessary to actually aid the climb/descent of some minor rock climbing, and then best also with two guide ropes just to give a bit of security on an exposed descent, both a bit shy of 15m.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1904867997
and
https://www.strava.com/activities/1917536227
Hey Ian,
thanks for sharing your updates - I'm following along!
post #39 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2018, 03:04 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Annotated photo album here ... a proper trip report is still forthcoming when I have time:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JT2zJxKZh1WEMoky7
And the photos uploaded onto a map to see what was where is here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HQ...Ds&usp=sharing
GPX Files are here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=12s...CgLFKXt9q6D7HL
post #40 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:41 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post

While I highly believe we would have eventually succeeded if we had came down from Deeks Peak, I don't think it's safe at all and a trail will probably not work in this area. The entire valley has sharp cliffs that are extremely hard to navigate.
not so hard now, eh Russell :-)
post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:11 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mind the gap --> Mend the gap

The gap between DNE2 and DNE3 (we need better names for these) has been crossed ... so the HSCT to HSCT North connection is now basically doable.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2019, 04:23 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Robertson View Post
not so hard now, eh Russell :-)
Haha I should eat my own words. I was right tho that coming down would be easier to navigate!
post #43 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 12:19 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Haha I should eat my own words. I was right tho that coming down would be easier to navigate!
Easier, yes, but ironically, we navigated best the first time we went up and stuck to the ridge better ... so thats what I used mostly to create the master GPX file below.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1q9...Gx&usp=sharing there's the route.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page