MV = Metro Vancouver Vancouver -> Squamish via HSCT and more - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List
Ian Robertson

42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowshoe_run_crew View Post
@[B][U][URL="https://forums.clubtread.com/member.php?u=27430"]

Thanks @Chris S. - sorry to hear about the tent! I hope you will be able to cross the HSCT off the list. It is truly a special area.
The physical and mental means of being able to conquer an extremely difficult and dangerous trail are admirable. Not even in my younger years would I ever be able to accomplish what you've done. Your story inspires others like myself. I feel as if I was with you and Ian through your writing. The challenges of starting off with less sleep than you would like, to breathing in the dust from the scree to finally being reunited with your partner after a brutal day is more than noteworthy. Such an accomplishment, thank you for sharing!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 10:56 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Ian: yup! that's the book. I hadn't actually seen that the publisher has put it up on amazon: thanks for the heads up and for making my day!
Ian Robertson likes this.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Moving in the moutains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac-van View Post
this would be such a fun project: a bushwhack exploration of the route on my map (from Deeks to Capilano) and then from Capilano north as shown here (https://backcountrybc.ca/index.php/c...st-trail-north) is definitely on the summer 2018 to-do list.
It is on my list for sure for summer 2018 as well. If you get out there I am sure many folks would be interested in hearing about it.

We had been looking at the gpx on backcountrybc.ca and the map you found as it fills in the gap rather nicely.
The routing from Deeks to Capilano provides a fairly concrete lead to .. well avoid concrete.
Ian Robertson likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2017, 04:30 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Too many lurkers not enough contributors! Awesome that you decided to give back and put up a TR! and a killer 1st TR at that!

The site sucks for TR's I know this first hand, but this website has so much info I want to try and keep it up to date as much as possible. The only way to do that is by word of mouth and hope it spreads.
tedoliver likes this.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2017, 12:53 AM
Scaling New Heights

Amazing Chris, and as usual your photos are beautiful! I really enjoyed reading this, congratulations on such an epic day!
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

@jencloss Thank-you and lovely to see you albeit electronically :-)
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 12:07 AM
Headed for the Mountains

fantastic day, what a trip. Its a beautiful area. Where did you get over the Co/Sky Pilot ridge? And how did you see it at night, or was the track on the GPS good enough?

regarding the backside of Deeks, I have gone through there and not found anything that looks like a human trail. Not to say it isn't there...
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks @oldmatt. Milling around Deeks is definitely on my 2018 radar.
“Where did yo get over the co/sky ridge”:
In terms of our path of travel, if you can see the image of the gpx track of our trip at the start of the trip report that might be more clear. Basically, we did not go up and over sky pilot or copilot, we “stayed low” on the flank until we connected to the Skyline Ridge Trail.

“How did you see it at night, or was the track on the gps good enough?”

I am not sure there was an “it”to see per say. There is no trail and while we heard afterwards there is a rope somewhere around there we didn’t did see that. We had some obnoxiously bright headlamps: we both had extra batteries and extra headlamps with yet more batteries so we could run our lights brightly with impunity (we didn’t pack lightly when came to that). We also had a gpx track. I hestitate to suggest any gpx track is that good in somewhat compleciated terrian. There is not a trail so it is a matter of responding sensibly to the terrian and using a gpx file as a support to avoid dead ends.

Last edited by Snowshoe_run_crew; 12-05-2017 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Grammar
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:18 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Hi @oldmatt ... Chris and I were aided somewhat by the fact that I had been pretty far up Skyline Ridge before, and with the addition of a GPX track could essentially sight to the pass we needed to hit, and this was pretty apparent even without daylight (though it wasn't full moon, it also wasn't new moon, so there wasn't zero light by any means.

Also, in many ways, the scree field was the perfect thing to have to cross at night, because there was zero route-finding necessary, just point and schlep, and try to keep elevation (the consistency of the scree made this surprisingly difficult).

The route we took didn't go up and over the Sky-Pilot - Co-Pilot Ridge per-se, we skirted the south sides of both. Going up and over was a possibility, and I know people have done so, but we didn't even want to consider even minor glacier travel at the end of a long day, nor carry any additional gear to do so with confidence.

We(I) did pull out the gps quite often at points just to confirm that we were on the right bearing ... we always were which is testament to the obvious route usually being the best one / the one that others would have gone also, so the GPS was a nice verification device, but most of the navigation itself was done with common sense as the driver.

There was one place right after Mountain Lake Hut that we tried to take a shortcut, and got cliffed out several times, and if we had been a bit more patient and followed a track I had saved, we could have avoided an hour of putzing about.

Given that in general, the alpine trail is a common sense one, it wouldn't require that much by way of flagging / cairning to make the trip much faster and simpler ... Those little pauses to verify GPS certainly add up significantly ... undoubtedly several hours worth over the day.

I think if the considered HSCT-North were to happen, some kind of linking trail is quite necessary, not only because the drop to Porteau Cove isn't really that fun, and the run along the road is kinda dangerous, but also because eliminating that extra distance would certainly be somewhat necessary for most to get to Mountain Lake Hut in a day, whether by the valley like we did, or via Capilano and HSCT-North.

Projecting further, the connection all the way to Whistler basically already exists, it just needs to be stitched together, and once done, it will make quite an awesome trip to do ... but also be quite accessible and safe since despite being in pretty wooly terrain, one also is never that far from civilization should something happen.
@Snowshoe_run_crew
Dac-van likes this.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:59 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
this would be such a fun project: a bushwhack exploration of the route on my map (from Deeks to Capilano) and then from Capilano north as shown here (https://backcountrybc.ca/index.php/c...st-trail-north) is definitely on the summer 2018 to-do list.
I'm in ... also want a copy of the book - feels a bit anonymous to buy from Amazon - can I do so from you and have you sign it ;-)
Dac-van likes this.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 10:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

How did I miss this TR?? I Dunno, been off line a bit .... this is an epic tale, will take more time to read it again. thanks loads for posting.
Snowshoe_run_crew likes this.

post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2017, 10:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: fiddling, hiking, climbing, dancing, photography, Tai Chi, running

Simply amazing!
post #28 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 04:32 AM
Headed for the Mountains

I tracked down the map: this October 1979 Ministry of the Environment recreational map showing existing trails and facilities shows the connector from the Deeks-Windsor Meadows to Phyllis-Marion Lakes.

Note that one could now continue more efficiently further northward via the now-dominant trail to Capilano Mountain, via Beth Lake (not shown).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3738.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	265.8 KB
ID:	248729  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3736 (2).JPG
Views:	116
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	248737  

guntis and russellcoffin like this.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
I tracked down the map: this October 1979 Ministry of the Environment recreational map showing existing trails and facilities shows the connector from the Deeks-Windsor Meadows to Phyllis-Marion Lakes.

Note that one could now continue more efficiently further northward via the now-dominant trail to Capilano Mountain, via Beth Lake (not shown).
Thanks for sharing this!!!
Dac-van likes this.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:

Great stuff! Thank you! (only 39 years ago...how badly overgrown could it be? ha ha)
I really want to try this now. Better get back in shape...
Dac-van likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page