• 1 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By frankhardly
  • 1 Post By Lenagen

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing
Default Castle Towers scramble September 3, 2017

We scrambled Castle Towers west summit with kids during the long Labour Day weekend on September 2-4, 2017 (three days, two nights). We did not bring any glacier walking gear or ropes on the trip and still made it to the summit and back safely.

I was a bit frustrated to find the summit register empty with a big round hole punctured on one side. It was the first time I saw the summit register violated this way. I would have brought a new register myself had I known this earlier. I was also a bit surprised that we did not meet anyone on the Castle Towers ridge and mountain despite the fact that this was a long weekend and the weather was perfect. We could have missed someone on the huge boulder field though, as I did feel some funny smoke smell close to the summit. I am curious to know if anyone actually scrambled Castle Towers on the same day as we did - September 3, 2017, or was it a wildfire smoke?

The full trip report with pictures is here.
Photo album

Below are some pics

Last edited by Lenagen; 09-26-2017 at 02:53 PM. Reason: adjusting pic links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 02:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

After a such a dry summer the glaciers still look a whole lot healthier than 2015...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 03:13 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
After a such a dry summer the glaciers still look a whole lot healthier than 2015...
Helm glacier surely looked ugly - all dirt, ice, and crevasses, but fortunately, you do not have to walk on glaciers to reach Castle Towers summit, so who cares even if they look ugly and crevassed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

really enjoyed this TR and you doing it with two kids. That's they way to instill a spirit of adventure in them, well done!. Great pics, haven't been that way for many years.

You see crowberry often way up in the Rockies and Purcells, but I've not spotted them much on the coast. High elev rocky tundra in the Purcells near Jumbo Pass, we'd collect a bunch and make jam after a lot of boiling, but lousy jam , sometimes mixed up in the Rockies with bearberry. Em (upon) Petrum (Rock)

Any chance of you posting your GPS track? Always useful in case we haul ourselves up there.
Lenagen and Omallley like this.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
really enjoyed this TR and you doing it with two kids. That's they way to instill a spirit of adventure in them, well done!. Great pics, haven't been that way for many years.

You see crowberry often way up in the Rockies and Purcells, but I've not spotted them much on the coast. High elev rocky tundra in the Purcells near Jumbo Pass, we'd collect a bunch and make jam after a lot of boiling, but lousy jam , sometimes mixed up in the Rockies with bearberry. Em (upon) Petrum (Rock)

Any chance of you posting your GPS track? Always useful in case we haul ourselves up there.
The Google Earth map below is based on GPS track - the blue marker is a way there and red marker is a way back. All the tips on how to stay on the right track are in the TR.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great read, pics, and well-documented... impressive all the more with a couple Billy Goats in tow.
Lenagen likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 05:56 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenagen View Post
The Google Earth map below is based on GPS track - the blue marker is a way there and red marker is a way back. All the tips on how to stay on the right track are in the TR.
Thanks much, yes, your TR is nicely descriptive and that's a very helpful screen grab.

Hope you post more TR's. In an era when parents barely let their kids play on monkey bars at school, your adventures with your children are inspiring.
Lenagen likes this.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-26-2017, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Thanks much, yes, your TR is nicely descriptive and that's a very helpful screen grab.

Hope you post more TR's. In an era when parents barely let their kids play on monkey bars at school, your adventures with your children are inspiring.
Thanks! I will post a few TRs later, but there is nothing as adventurous as Castle Towers among our latest trips. Sorting out and uploading pics/videos takes a lot of time.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 12:59 AM
Scaling New Heights

Nice TR. A group of us were actually up there that weekend but took a really stupid wrong turn off the end of Gentian Ridge which scuppered our plans. Live and learn... I'm 100% going back next summer!

Question: what's the blue route near the area where you gain Gentian Ridge on the Helm side? I really did not enjoy it that section up or down and the blue route looks less steep (maybe?).
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Lenagen

What an awesome trip, and to do with kids. Hard to believe someone would damage the summit register, ??

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:02 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything mountain related

Thanks for sharing this incredible trip report. Really inspiring to see you taking your kids on this and them doing it.
Lenagen likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMagBumper View Post
Nice TR. A group of us were actually up there that weekend but took a really stupid wrong turn off the end of Gentian Ridge which scuppered our plans. Live and learn... I'm 100% going back next summer!

Question: what's the blue route near the area where you gain Gentian Ridge on the Helm side? I really did not enjoy it that section up or down and the blue route looks less steep (maybe?).
Please ignore the blue route near the Gentian/Helm ridge - it shows our pathfinding error - an ascent to the ridge on the very steep and loose scree between Opal Cone and Helm Glacier. You should follow the red route and gain the ridge near Helm Peak and Helm Horn - this route is also steep but it is covered with grass and is easier to ascend. Once you gain the ridge just walk it towards the saddle leading to Gentian Pass. You can see Castle Towers from this saddle and it is pretty obvious how to gain the Polemonium ridge to Castle Towers from there. Please let me know if this helps.
TheMagBumper likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2017, 11:36 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Absolutely incredible! Those pics are awesome! I was thinking of doing Castle Towers via Panorama Ridge as a 2-day excursion, of course next year. Thanks for the inspiration, those views are stunning!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page