User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By outdoors guy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors
Default *Little Diamond Head* Sept 15 2017

After kicking around several ideas including tenting or staying in a hut, it was decided to do a long day hike. I have been having some knee issues so figured a non-technical hike with plenty of distance would be a good test. The goal of the day became Little Diamond Head (LDH) was to be the goal for the day.

After a long but traffic-free drive in the dark, we arrived at the trailhead and got moving around 7:15 am. There was a bus in the parking lot and a notice at the trailhead saying 52 students were staying at Elfin all week. I guess we were lucky that we didn't stay there the previous night.

Off we went. We soon passed a group on bikes coming down from a night at Elfin Lakes. The first part of the hike went quick, with a few extended breaks to munch on the abundant blueberries. The views toward our destination under Atwell Peak appeared and we soon saw a couple more bikes coming down. After a quick chat we learned they had ridden their fat-tired bikes all the way from Squamish to Elfin in 4.5 hours. Damn. I have to give biking to Elfin a try sometime!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04289.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	231641

Nearing the lake we started passing some of the students marching out after spending 4 nights at Elfin. Their packs looked huge on their small body frames. They were all friendly and cheerful but seemed glad to finally be heading home. One girl mentioned hiking to the saddle near the gargoyles (our route as well) in around 1.5 hours from the hut. We came across the rest of the students stretching and packing up their tents on the pads as we arrived at Elfin. I guess it has been some time since I had been there because I don't remember the food hang cables or tent pads. We stopped to peek in the hut and have some snacks on one of the tent pads as we took in the views.

Name:	DSC04305.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.00 MB
ID:	231633

On the road again... The hike to the saddle between the Gargoyles and Columnar is pretty straight forward, with a few loose steps here and there - and lots more blueberries. Yum. A trail-running couple flew by us like we were standing still and made the ascent to the saddle in no time. I envied them for a second and then realized at that speed they wouldn't be stopping for blueberries or even see them for that matter - more for us! Once at the saddle I thought about going up the gargoyles, but figured I would leave it for the way back if I had the energy. From the saddle it was a bit of a drop in elevation before the long ascent on talus to LDH.

Name:	DSC04311.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	231625Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04321.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	231617

Halfway to LDH we looked back and could see 2 people ascending The Gargoyles from the saddle. This is also about where the trail runners went flying by us once again, already on their way back from LDH. As we approached the ridge leading to our high point the views toward Sqamish opened up. Great views towards Sky Pilot from here... The Chief looked tiny. On the ridge I dropped some extra weight from my pack for the final push to the summit. The final ascent was fairly easy (a bit sketchier going down). The GPS read 17km distance once at the top, so this would be one of the longer day hikes either of us have done. While having a long lunch break up top and taking in the views of Atwell, glaciers, Opal Cone etc. we saw a solo hiker made his way up to us. Turns out he was one of the 2 we spotted ascending the Gargoyles. Apparently his friend had had enough after reaching the first gargoyle and went back to Elfin Lakes. They had biked in to the hut from the parking lot that morning. Man I wish I had a bike at the hut to ride back on. We finished our lunches, took a few more pictures and headed down. It was now around 2:30 having spent about an hour at the summit.

Name:	20170915_150203_Pano.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	231649Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04356.jpg
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	231729Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04363.jpg
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	231721Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04365.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	231713Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04381.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	985.5 KB
ID:	231697Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04386a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	231689

The way back to the saddle was basically just a beeline across the field of rocks/boulders.

Name:	DSC04380.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	995.4 KB
ID:	231705

The lighting was starting to change so we frequently stopped to take more photos of the same views we had on the way in. Once at the base of the ascent back to the saddle I picked up the pace as I was going to scoot up the Gargoyles on the way back. This went faster than I thought and in no time I was on the top. I made my way across the narrow ridge of jagged rock as far as one can go, passing a cairn along the way. A few more pictures here and I headed back. The way down to the saddle from the Gargoyles is the only sketchy part really as the slope is steep with loose sand and tiny pebbles. Back at the saddle again...

Name:	DSC04417.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	829.5 KB
ID:	231681Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04421.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.06 MB
ID:	231673

From the saddle it was basically hike, eat blueberries, fill up water at the lake and trudge back along the trail/road to the parking lot.

Name:	DSC04462.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	231665

As it got closer to dark we passed many groups heading up to spend the night at Elfin. A couple told us they had just passed a mother bear with cubs near Red Heather shelter. We were both on alert as we passed that area, but saw nothing. One guy coming up was an old friend from way back that we hadn't seen in ages. Small world... if you're reading this, let's make plans for a hike sometime. The last 20 minutes to the car was very dark, but we were both too lazy to take out our lights. Got to the car at 8:15. A dark, busy drive back to Surrey with a stop for some food and that was that. Over 34km and 13 hours on the trail including breaks. I guess my knees passed the test.

Name:	Screen shot 2017-09-16 at 2.26.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	284.1 KB
ID:	231657

Last edited by outdoors guy; 09-17-2017 at 05:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 01:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Wow if your knees can handle that, you're in good shape. Nice day you guys had.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

That is a long day! A bicycle certainly saves time from car to hut. Also, it's a pretty good trip on skis!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 12:49 AM
Summit Master

Fantastic images; you had great light. That lake on saddle between Gargoyles and LDH looks magical
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2017, 10:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the trip report and the awesome pics! I've done Elfin Lakes twice, however it was only up to the shelter and both times it was in the winter with snowshoes. It is unreal how it looks like in the summer with no snow.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 01:59 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Awesome Shawn, and enjoyed your TR a fun read. Your pictures are awesome and cover your hike nicely.

I plan on going up in that area next good weekend; perhaps Oct. 7/17. to do Mamquam Lake as a day hike.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2017, 03:12 AM
Scaling New Heights

thanks! did you check if the propane cookers were working in the shelter?

thanks!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 09:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing

Awesome pics! Well done in one day! We thought about Little Diamond Head this summer as a family trip, but Elfin Lakes shelter is constantly overbooked in summer and doing it as a day hike with kids would be hard. Thanks for posting pics and TR - we will definitely do it in the future.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors

Thanks for the comments...

geminihc - saw signs in the shelter saying the propane cookers are not working. I believe there was a sign at the trailhead as well.

Lenagen - I have enjoyed reading your trip reports and based on those I think Little Diamond Head would be an easy day hike for your family. In fact after some of your adventures it might be a little boring...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2017, 03:10 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors guy View Post
Thanks for the comments...

geminihc - saw signs in the shelter saying the propane cookers are not working. I believe there was a sign at the trailhead as well.

Lenagen - I have enjoyed reading your trip reports and based on those I think Little Diamond Head would be an easy day hike for your family. In fact after some of your adventures it might be a little boring...
We did Panorama Ridge (~32 km) as a day hike with them a few years ago, so I guess they should be fine except for an alpine start - that does not sit well with them at all! :-)
Hikes near Garibaldi Mountain cannot be boring by definition, as views there are epic! It is also quite exciting to start walking the ridge to Atwell peak to see what it looks like. I wonder if there is some fresh snow near Little Diamond Head now..

Last edited by Lenagen; 09-29-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: correction

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page