4Likes
  • 2 Post By Chris S.
  • 1 Post By tedoliver
  • 1 Post By thecamel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Baby Munday 08-06-17

Baby Munday. Lots of stories from experienced hikers about this trail. As an avid explorer, I truly enjoy the excitement of trails I've never experienced before.

I met up with Tina, Gilberto and Andrew in Vancouver. From there we drove towards the wonders of Chilliwack and it's majestic hiking trails. I'm more than familiar with the area as I've conquered a few trails in this area before. It was also reassuring considering I would be the least fit in this group. Andrew is extremely fit, one of the fastest hikers in my Meetup group. Gilberto is also in considerably better physical condition than I am. And Tina has experience hiking all around the Swiss Alps, and when she is tired I am exhausted. Overall this was one of the most physical groups I've been with in a while, so I knew we would do quite well.

I parked right before the bridge leading to the Airplane Creek Road. What a mistake that was. At first it seemed like the branches were overgrown and I would damage my truck. If I only knew how well maintained the road was, how easy the road was and how I would only suffer a few light scratches to save us 2 hours of hiking up gravel. Now I know for next time that we'll drive right through to the trailhead, and if necessary I'll be sure to bring a chainsaw.

The trail itself is well marked, and easily one of the most diverse trails I have experienced in a long time. With different technical requirements, considerably steep descents and ascents, this is one trail that truly deserves the difficult rating. Andrew, being the fastest of us took the lead at first until we reached the river. Then I took over from there. The technical requirements to ascend to the campground from the river as for those who are really experienced and have good upper body strength. Unlike some trails I have been on, there are many places for a hiker to be easily injured due to poor footing, while there aren't as many places to risk immediate death.

Unfortunately, despite being an extremely physically capable group, we only made it to the campground. Even then, we all made a pledge to return one day to conquer this mighty mountain. This was the first time in my life I blew through 3 litres of water before the halfway mark. Even Andrew ran out of water, as did Gilberto. Tina's lack of sleep due to the fireworks and my lack of nourishment prevented us from travelling further. I pushed my middle-aged body as much as I could, being around these younger adventurers gives me a sense of feeling young again but the cramps in my quads were just too much for me to continue. I fought my body's aches and pains but eventually the sensibility returned. After all, I did have to make it back to the truck and I did have to drive everyone home. We took a side trip over to Stewart Mountain and stopped by the last remaining water source to fill up. Thanks to Gilberto for bringing a water filtration device. That literally saved us!

It was extremely humid, and the haziness of the forest fires prevented the views in the morning. By the time we were leaving the haziness dissipated enough for us to take better pictures. What didn't change were the bloody black flies. I thought yesterday's Eaton Lake mishap was bad, this was just as bad if not worse! Well, no, it wasn't worse as I truly enjoyed this experience.

The alpine area reminds me a lot of Mount Cheam. I can see how people would camp here and conquer the Cheam Range on a weekend. I must say though, it would be quite a task to bring up camping gear through the ascent past the river.

Overall, this was easily the best experience of the year. Even topping Mount Frosty (if you wish to call it the true summit or not is up to you, I don't care) and the many others I have conquered previously since I started hiking this season. We will definitely return!
Attached Images

DogOne and treord8 like this.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 11:34 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

How would you rate the climb up Mt Stewart ?
Spectrum likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 12:59 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Careful Chris, Ted is baiting you...

While I can't necessarily agree with the term conquer to describe standing on a summit, I can appreciate how crappy it is to hike in this smoke. Water consumption is doubled. Oxygen intake is halved. And no real views to speak of. But valuable lessons noinetheless.
tedoliver likes this.

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 03:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Thecamel,the Old Master Baiter strikes again. Chris ,when you say "the campground" do you mean the flat area just where you break out of the trees where there are remnants of an old campfire ,or do you mean the flat area in the high rocky basin between The Still and Baby Munday? Good luck on "conquering" the Cheam Range" in a weekend.If I go on your next Frosty trip ,is it mandatory for me to take three litres of water? Not sure if I am in good enough condition,what are the criteria?

Last edited by tedoliver; 08-09-2017 at 03:59 PM. Reason: wrong wwording
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamel View Post
Careful Chris, Ted is baiting you...

While I can't necessarily agree with the term conquer to describe standing on a summit, I can appreciate how crappy it is to hike in this smoke. Water consumption is doubled. Oxygen intake is halved. And no real views to speak of. But valuable lessons noinetheless.
I look at these outdoor excursions as goals that I conquer. Be it kayaking, hiking, rock climbing or anything else that puts me out of my comfort zone. I only started hiking 2 years ago, and ClubTread was one of the best sources of information for me. I only joined recently as I felt it was time for me to contribute to others. I have a great sense of accomplishment when I complete, or conquer these goals. And even more importantly, there is a great sense of friendship and bonding when sharing the experience with awesome friends. I've done enough of the solo hiking, and nearly killing myself on Mount Outram a while back was a hard lesson learned.

Honestly the smoke wasn't that bad when were hiking, and the same goes for Eaton Lake the day before. But you are correct, we did not account for the smoke affecting our abilities. I'm excited to make another attempt in the future, although it will likely be next year.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 02:25 AM
Off the Beaten Path

that's a long one.. Especially if you do not camp at the Trail head. Good effort.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Well done, and a great report Chris. I totally concur, a great sense of accomplishment and the joy of sharing and bonding with others in completing these adventures. Your reports are very enjoyable reads, lots of great detail.

Thanks

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice job. That trail is brutal. Did you find blueberries at the campsite? Last I did it, we spent a good while gorging ourselves.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewBaldwin View Post
that's a long one.. Especially if you do not camp at the Trail head. Good effort.
Many people I have spoken to have done the Baby Munday in one day. While we only made it to the campground, I can see ourselves tackling it although we would have to be better equipped and better rested. As stated, the group who I was with are all very experienced and extremely fit, much more than I am. I also made the mistake of parking at the gate instead of driving all the way up. I didn't feel like pinstriping my truck, so next time I'll bring my trusty chainsaw.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Well done, and a great report Chris. I totally concur, a great sense of accomplishment and the joy of sharing and bonding with others in completing these adventures. Your reports are very enjoyable reads, lots of great detail.

Thanks

K
Thanks! I post these as I feel obligated to support ClubTread since I lurked here for so long. Everyone who posts their trip reports have helped me so much over the past 2 years, I can't put into words how much I've gained and the experiences I felt whether it was solo hiking in the beginning or group hiking currently. I'd love to share these experiences with other ClubTread members as well, as I think we have an awesome community here. I feel like I don't have enough time in my life to explore the outdoors around Vancouver with so many awesome trails. I think it would literally take me years before I get to experience them, and that's just within a few hours drive of Vancouver.

Thanks for your support, it means a lot to me when others appreciate my efforts. I dedicate all of my trip reports to those who have and are currently sharing their trip reports with the rest of us to enjoy the wilderness.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick View Post
Nice job. That trail is brutal. Did you find blueberries at the campsite? Last I did it, we spent a good while gorging ourselves.
I didn't really find it brutal until the the ascent after the river. From that point when we were scrambling I took the lead and I felt at home, as scrambling is where I really shine. But it truly is quite a hike, and very technical! We found edible berries but they weren't blueberries. Unfortunately I'm not familiar with the names of plants/animals/edibles so I can't tell you what the name of the berry was. We gorged ourselves as well as we were all quite hungry. It was a long night as we chilled at a local pub right after, and then I drove everyone else home. I think I finally arrived home around 11:00PM or so!

Chris S.
Organizer
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2017, 01:22 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

So wonderfully said, exactly is how I love to share info with others in this great communityi.

thank you Chris.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2017, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
So wonderfully said, exactly is how I love to share info with others in this great communityi.

thank you Chris.
Thanks for recognizing my efforts! It's the least I could do to help the community after lurking for so long!

Chris S.
Organizer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page