Mount Frosty 07-23-17 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Mount Frosty 07-23-17

I've been planning Mount Frosty for quite some time. I've heard many things about this hike, primarily how long the hike is. While most would classify Mount Frosty as difficult, I would realistically call it intermediate. The only thing that makes it difficult is the possibility of injury or death while scrambling the steep section to the lookout point, and of course if you wish to truly make it to the top then you have to traverse a ridge walk over to the main peak. With so many awesome hikes around Vancouver, Mount Frosty is on my list of "Must Do" hikes as well as one of the few that I would actually do again in the future.

I met up with Gilbert and Amy at the Chevron Petrol Station in the morning. We carpooled over to Manning Park, my second favourite hiking destination after the Coquihalla. The weather at first was a bit cloudy but when we arrived the sun finally broke through and the weather warmed up. The trail, like many other trails in Manning Park (except Silverdaisy) was well marked and well maintained. We did encounter a few other hardy travellers, but it's nothing packed like the horrid mess that Joffre Lakes is. Every group I take out has a different dynamic and this was my first time hiking with Gilbert and Amy. Amy has the same fitness level as me, and Gilbert is in better shape than I am. He and I took turns taking the lead, and we didn't stop much other than to take pictures of the beautiful surroundings.

Along the way we did meet up with an older couple who mentioned that there was a mountain goat on the main ridge area. We were excited to see this, as none of us have ever seen one in person before. As always, we carry a can of bear spray for protection but I wasn't sure how effective it would be against a mountain goat.

As we reached the campground we stop to take a rest, eat a quick lunch and continue. The campground itself looks to be in poor shape and has been vandalized over the years. The outhouse was quite rancid, although I would say it isn't anything like Wedgemount which was horrible it can change your lifestyle. We continued on past the small creek and up towards our goal. The terrain was actually quite easy, and we saw glimpses of our final destination in the distance.

Eventually we made it up to the area where we had to scramble. Right at the top was the lone mountain goat, and it was right on the trail. It didn't seem to be concerned about the human presence, and actually travelled down the trail. We had to step aside to make way as we knew that if he rammed us we would be in serious trouble. By then a number of adventurers were backlogged on the trail waiting for the goat to leave. When it did, we finally made our way to the lookout point. After realizing that the lookout point wasn't even the true summit, we decided to make our way to the ridge walk section and have our lunch right at the top. I never like to semi-complete something, and I've been looking forward to this for a long time. While it can be dangerous and is better left for experienced scramblers, it's nothing like deathly like Brunswick Mountain. We made it to the top, basically leaving all the other adventurers behind. We did meet up with another small group when we reached the peak. Unfortunately for me, in all the excitement in the parking lot, I forgot to bring my full lunch and my extra water bottle. I finished up both bottles of water and all of my food. I remember on my way back I was going as quick as my body would let me, despite being dehydrated and hungry. Thankfully Amy and Gilbert shared what they had with me. I was tired but we did refill ourselves at the Tim Horton's back in Hope.

Finally, we did it. After hearing about Mount Frosty for some time, I can finally say I have completed it and have shared it with two awesome people. For more pics, check out my Meetup group!
Attached Images

WildernessMan and treord8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Nice report and great pics!

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:50 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Chris.

Awesome report, great pictures, and very fun read. Thanks for posting your first trip report, and a great beginning for more accounts of your meetup adventures.

Excellent picture of that mountain goat, and he or she was not camera shy either.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by treord8 View Post
Nice report and great pics!
Thanks! I'm planning on providing trip reports for every outdoor excursion I have on my Meetup group. I thought it was time I contributed since I've been lurking on here for 2 years!

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 09:42 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
Chris.

Awesome report, great pictures, and very fun read. Thanks for posting your first trip report, and a great beginning for more accounts of your meetup adventures.

Excellent picture of that mountain goat, and he or she was not camera shy either.

K
Thanks, I like to put effort into writing these adventures, although words can not truly reproduce the experience regardless of one's imagination. That mountain goat was not shy and certainly wasn't scared of humans. I think us adventurers kept a distance as being rammed off a steep scramble area would not be a great way to end a weekend. He did happen to take a dump in front of us, and I did take a picture but I don't think posting it would be appropriate. Last year on the Heather Trail to Three Brothers Mountain we ran into two grizzly bears on the way back to my truck! And the year before I found mountain lion tracks when solo hiking up Needle Peak. There is some serious wildlife out there!
treord8 likes this.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

Reading the report,I'm not entirely convinced you guys made the true summit.How could a kilometer long ,somewhat exposed class 2 scramble on loose rock be easier than the 100 meter ridgewalk on Brunswicks summit? Some summit pics would clear the matter up.Nice pictures ,especially the goat one.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:08 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedoliver View Post
Reading the report,I'm not entirely convinced you guys made the true summit.How could a kilometer long ,somewhat exposed class 2 scramble on loose rock be easier than the 100 meter ridgewalk on Brunswicks summit? Some summit pics would clear the matter up.Nice pictures ,especially the goat one.
I think what he's saying is that they went from the point where the two trails meet on the ridgeline, on to the east summit. Not to the true (west) summit.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 09:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Yeah,that makes sense. I assumed he meant the West summit.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 11:48 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Yeah,that makes sense. I assumed he meant the West summit.
I dunno, it sure sounded like Frosty West the way it was written.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2017, 01:46 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A picture of them on the West summit would clear the matter up.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
I'm not familiar with your physical capabilities or your experience. For me Brunswick Mountain was more terrifying and more physically brutal than ridge walking over to Mount Frosty.

Chris S.
Organizer

Last edited by Chris S.; 08-09-2017 at 08:04 PM.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
A picture of them on the West summit would clear the matter up.
Not a matter to anyone other than you. Believe what you will, all three of us shared an experience that is difficult to describe beyond words or pictures. I don't entertain to bragging rights, I do this because I enjoy sharing experiences with friends.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 10:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Chris ,I'm not trying to put down your experience in any way. I am merely pointing out that the summit you made it to was not the true summit of Frosty. The lower summit is still a fine day out and the one the vast majority of hikers stop at.Check Fred Beckeys Alpine Guide re Mt Frosty if I have not clarified this matter,or have a look at some of the trs on clubtread .Well worth the extra hour or so to get to the true summit,when do you plan to schedule it?
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Chris ,I'm not trying to put down your experience in any way. I am merely pointing out that the summit you made it to was not the true summit of Frosty. The lower summit is still a fine day out and the one the vast majority of hikers stop at.Check Fred Beckeys Alpine Guide re Mt Frosty if I have not clarified this matter,or have a look at some of the trs on clubtread .Well worth the extra hour or so to get to the true summit,when do you plan to schedule it?
1. You've sent me several private messages requesting confirmation about the true summit and our final destination, then you speak as if without your approval my words are falsified. I don't post on ClubTread to boost my ego or to gain acceptance from anyone. I have been lurking on this forum since I started hiking 2 years ago, and I felt that it was time to contribute by posting my own trip reports. If one person can benefit from my trip report, then that's all that matters to me. That's why I joined. I have absolutely no concern whether or not you read/believe/approve/accept anything that I post. You comment that Brunswick Mountain is much easier than Mount Frosty. You were not present when I conquered either mountain, and you're not familiar with my physical capabilities and/or limitations, as well as those individuals who joined me during those times. You constantly speak of requiring "clarification" as if this is some sort of critical "matter". If you it bothers you so much, go do it on your own and post your own trip report.

2. Are you the same guy named "Al" who sent me a message on my Meetup group? If so then don't bother signing up for anything as you're not welcome to join me. My Meetup group is my medium for bringing people together. The day that we conquered Mount Frosty (or lied about it) we were all strangers. By the end we were all friends. It's not easy to make friends here in Vancouver, especially for many other people who are from different areas of the world. Being an Organizer of a Meetup group allows me to use different events to bring people together to share experiences. I don't care what anyone's background is. I care not about their ethnicity, sexuality, religion, gender identification, age, financial status or what not. Everyone is welcome to join as we make friends and that is the only purpose of my Meetup group. However you are not welcome as I have no interest in entertaining to someone such as yourself.

3. I'm not able to delete your posts, but I won't be responding to any of your trolling messages. Do not send me anymore private messages as I will not respond to them. Do not bother replying to any of my trip reports as I will ignore you. To make this mutual I will also disregard any of your trip reports and I won't post in your threads.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2017, 08:44 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm not Al ,but I guess I'm not welcome on your next Frosty trip?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page