S2S = Sea to Sky I Almost Died, But it was Totally Worth It - Blackcomb Peak - Jul. 19, 2017 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By Redbeard
  • 3 Post By Redbeard
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default I Almost Died, But it was Totally Worth It - Blackcomb Peak - Jul. 19, 2017

I've deleted all my content. I can't accept Vertical Scope's (the site owner) terms of service and can't stand their use of advertising, particularly the viglink service which inserts links into my posts without my permission. I'm sad to leave the CT community and thank all of those who have contributed over the years.
VSDM likes this.

Last edited by Redbeard; 12-04-2017 at 12:49 PM. Reason: Formatting
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I've deleted all my content. I can't accept Vertical Scope's (the site owner) terms of service and can't stand their use of advertising, particularly the viglink service which inserts links into my posts without my permission. I'm sad to leave the CT community and thank all of those who have contributed over the years.
xj6response, treord8 and VSDM like this.

Last edited by Redbeard; 12-04-2017 at 12:49 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 05:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Geez, sounds like the flu contributed to you going into some minor shock after your fall. It's an awful enough feeling without it happening on a mountain. Cool trip though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 08:09 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Smoking trip but yikes, very nasty to feel so weakened when you were up top. A bug maybe but that's an awful lot like very low blood sugar mixed in there.

Have you ever hiked up/ride down Blackcomb on the new trail from the village up to the rendezvous?

Last edited by xj6response; 07-31-2017 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Smoking trip but yikes, very nasty to feel so weakened when you were up top. A bug maybe but that's an awful lot like very low blood sugar mixed in there.
Winner winner chicken dinner imo.

Considering the op had been battling the flu and hadn't eaten much in the previous 36hrs he probably was a bit hypoglycemic and dehydrated as well so his body was saying feck this, I need to stop. Glad it worked out for you ok and you made it down on your own power, but helicopter rides are always fun. Anyway, a good lesson for anyone that reads this thread is to make sure you're well fueled and hydrated if you plan to head out for a full day in the mtns.

ps - I'm not a doctor, I just play one on the interwebz
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 05:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Geez...make me look like a selfish peakbagger or what! Leaving you to suffer while I meander over to Spearhead! Had no idea you were feeling that rough but the queasy look on your face whilst forcing some function junction ale at the end of the day spoke volumes!

Seriously though. Awesome day out.
Attached Images

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
My first sign that things weren't going great for me was a comment from Cody: "That breeze sure feels nice and cool!" Nice? Cool? I was just thinking how cold and uncomfortable it was. Oh, well! Onwards!

The next sign was a bit bigger. I stepped on a loose rock and took a small tumble, straining my left tricep and scuffing up my arm and hip. I sat there for a minute to regain my composure. I don't often fall in such straightforward terrain, so I figured maybe I had pushed my luck for the day. I scampered up a short section to gain the ridge and tell Cody to go on and not wait for me and Cam.

Very soon after delivering my message, I started shaking uncontrollably. I stopped to put on my puffy jacket and sat down to try to get my body temp back up. It took a while.
The heavy shivering mounds more like adrenaline reaction from the fall compounding the issue. You can get the shakes like this even without being cold.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2017, 01:27 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Redbeard.

This is an epic trip report. huge amount of effort putting together all the great narratives and the photos. A very fun read and enjoyed going through.

You did great to accomplish what you did despite the flue. An epic hike to be sure.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Last edited by Redbeard; 12-04-2017 at 12:48 PM.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2017, 03:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Thanks for the comments, all!

Oh, and xj6response, I haven't yet tried the new trail up from the Blackcomb base to the Rendezvous. Since I ended up getting the season pass this year, while I have it, I'm going to try to take advantage of it and do a few of the Whistler/Blackcomb area peaks with the bonus of taking the chairlifts up. Maybe next year I'll try out the new trail!

Patrick
I went up that new Blackcomb ascent trail last year in October, although it was incomplete and the chairlift was not running. Now, it's all done and you can hike up to Rendezvous, explore the alpine all day, then ride down, for $15.00. A nice way to power up a good hike but save your knees hiking down. Here's a link to my report:

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...ent-trail.html
Redbeard likes this.

Last edited by xj6response; 08-03-2017 at 03:43 PM. Reason: missed words

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page