FV = Fraser Valley Ford Mountain hands me my ass July 28 2017 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

6Likes
  • 6 Post By idealistic74

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, cycling, traveling, movies, trying new places to eat
Default Ford Mountain hands me my ass July 28 2017

Parked at the Casade Recreation Area parking lot and started the hike at 7am.

Mount Ford = 2,108m
Elevation gain = 1,480 m
Time it took to the peak = 6 hours
Time it took down = 7 hours (note: in large part because I am sketched out going down steep loose terrain)
Plus a 45 min break up top.

Walked along Dewdney Trail for just under 3 kms (flat). There were sections it was overgrown by cow parsnip, thimbleberry and devils club. Horse poop every so often.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4425.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	283.3 KB
ID:	219762

Before a scree and a point where you could view Dry Lake on the right side, saw a forested area that looked like the way, so started heading up. It was VERY steep. Soon after saw some flagging tape and knew this was the right way. There were no bugs at this point. Reached a point where it broke out into the open. Decided to follow what appeared to be a goat trail, side stepping was not fun at all. Had enough of that, so went up a gully (very much a steep scramble and dodgy for me!) reached the ridge, then followed it to the trail that goes up Ford Mountain (straightforward path up).

The wild flowers were spectacular and in full bloom. Just amazing.

The views from the top of Mount Ford were amazing, 360 degree views of mountains everywhere. flying ants, flies and mosquitoes everywhere.

Name:	IMG_4450.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	219850Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4460.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	320.6 KB
ID:	219842Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04046.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	247.4 KB
ID:	219770Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4483.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	219834Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04029.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	311.3 KB
ID:	219778Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4444.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	171.8 KB
ID:	219858Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4528.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	229.3 KB
ID:	219786Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4511.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	219810Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4494.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	219826Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4503.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	219818

No water source, except for a couple of snow patches.

Decided that I was not going down that steep gully that had been the route up, so dropped down into the meadows after descending Mount Ford with the goal being to find a trail on the side of the mountain... had to cross three gullies, and the side stepping really sucked and was very slow going (especially slow because I am not confident on that kind of terrain and was totally sketched out. Probably won't be a problem for others), not to mention the insane amount of mosquitoes!

Name:	IMG_4518.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	219802Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4524.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	277.3 KB
ID:	219794

Finally found a goat trail. Ran out of water (had gone through just under 4 litres) Then descended the steep forested area (very slow going and sketched out). So tired, slipped a bunch of times. At the bottom, put a flagging tape around a tree (so others are clear that this is the way up). Got water on route back to the car (river to the left). Bottom of my feet were messed up (hurt every step), ripped my hand open holding my walking sticks so tightly (I do not recommend doing this steep trail without walking sticks!!)

Made it back to the car just past 9pm.

Glad I successfully completed this hike, but I'm never doing this trail again! unless there is some way up that bypasses steep dodgy sidestepping the mountain for so long. Respect for those who have done Mount Ford and Dewdney Peak in a day! (John and Katie!)

Last edited by idealistic74; 07-30-2017 at 10:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2017, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Lyda, admire you as you are indeed a strong one to start and complete such an endurance hike.

You got some beautiful amazing meadow photos. ... beautiful

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Well done and nice flower pics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:38 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Last summer I went back for a second hike of Ford and was disappointed that other people had added to the flagged route. In fact they had gone off the wrong direction to the left, leading me further into the gulley. Since I'd found the goat trail on my previous trip, it was possible to correct course, find it, and make my way up.

On the way down I followed the trail past where it joins the flagging. To my surprise there were sawn logs, a distinct trail bed and a clear path all the way down to the main trail. It was somewhat amusing to re-join the Dewdney trail less than 100 feet from the not so marvelous flagged route. I can't believe you went straight down that hellish gulley. At least something like that makes you appreciate trails all the more.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Elkaholic: why did you go back for a second hike of Ford ?

and did I get your post right?... you found a proper trail the whole way? Or you just talking about the forested part in the beginning before breaking out into the open?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 10:23 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealistic74 View Post
Elkaholic: why did you go back for a second hike of Ford ?

and did I get your post right?... you found a proper trail the whole way? Or you just talking about the forested part in the beginning before breaking out into the open?
The reason I chose Ford that weekend was to find a mountain that wouldn't have any other hikers on it. Mt little black Miniature Schnauzer came along and wasn't very impressed.

A couple different people had told me of the trail to the Ford/Dewdney col. I can confirm it does exist, starting about 30 metres past where the flagging starts. The start of it is hidden, probably intentionally. In the past I'd done a TR on Ford, my directions clearly describing how to follow the ribbons, which in retrospect was bad advice. Please accept my apology
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2017, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Any reason why the proper trail to Mount Ford is "hidden" intentionally?

If anyone knows of a safe, traumatic free route to Mount Ford, it would great to find out!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2019, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealistic74 View Post
Any reason why the proper trail to Mount Ford is "hidden" intentionally?

If anyone knows of a safe, traumatic free route to Mount Ford, it would great to find out!

I hope to find out this coming Monday, given enough hiking buddies who want to be guinea pigs, just in case we hit shared pain..

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page