User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By Demian Brecht

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering
Default Wedgemount Lake (Garabaldi)

First off, this hike just killed me, as you'll see by start/end times. Many breaks taken along the way. Apparently my legs need a little more time to recover than a day in between Evans Peak and this (with a 30lb pack on this time).

Now, that aside, this was an absolutely brilliant hike, filled with multiple viewpoints and really getting samples of pretty much every type of terrain imaginable (especially after the rain/snow/ice rain over night). If there was one thing I would have changed, it was the number of people. There was rarely a five minute period where we weren't passing by someone. Not that it's a horrible thing and is definitely better for bear encounters, but I personally prefer trails that are a little less busy.

On the way up, we passed through a couple rock slides. This one in particular was a great spot for lunch.

Some great views all around as you get higher up.

Most of the trail is a steady incline with one flat'ish section as we got closer to the end. There's a pretty good scramble section just before you hit the lake, which was the last section before we reached our destination.

All told, there must have been close to 40 tents pitched up there. Lots of day hikers as well, which made for a really busy lake. Surprisingly, we were able to find a tent pad. Unfortunately, we didn't walk down to the lake first to check pads around there. There was one right beside the lake that would have been an incredible spot, but at that point neither of us wanted to tear down and build camp back up again. Next time, I'll take a look at the lake spots first. Incredible views all around. We took a walk up to the glacier on the far side of the lake (snow patches are well trodden, no spikes needed to the base of the glacier), took some time for pictures, got back to our tent, made dinner, relaxed a bit and called it a day.

It got REALLY cold over night. This was my first sub alpine overnighter and the cold and weather changes caught me a little by surprise. It also highlighted the fact that my layering system needed some work. Thankfully we both had sub-zero bags and good mats, so warmed up fairly well midway through the night.

Learnings this time around:

- BP lasagna isn't very good. Like, at all
- Recovery time is a Good Thing.
- Have a completely dry layer set for after all hiking and exploring (I bought a puffy shortly thereafter for exactly this: https://www.backcountry.com/the-nort...wn-jacket-mens)
- Never, ever leave shell pants at home figuring you're not going to need them because the weather report says things should be clear. Things change up there really fast. Bring All The Things that will keep you dry (thankfully I brought my jacket, but definitely regretted not bringing my pants the next morning)
- If you don't have a Buff, you probably should. They're great (although I have yet to test mine)
KARVITK, Joe Mojo and treord8 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:48 PM
Summit Master

Nice report. Yes, recovery time is a good thing -- Evans is brutally steep.

Suggestion for next time: Explore further. Mt. Cook is walk-up from Wedgemount Lake -- some years back I've done it as day hike from parking lot. Weart is a bit longer, but fit people have done that one as day trip as well. Both can be nicely done on overnight trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 02:49 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Did you go on the weekend or was it during the week that there were so many people?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 04:37 PM
Scaling New Heights

Stunned by photo #6 and the lack of glacier! Especially around the lower south side. Haven't been there for a few years and it will be a sad experience on the next hike up there for me, so maybe I'll go in the winter if I can find someone to help break trail. The winter should mask some of the glacier disappearance, but then I'll miss the blue lake.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Excellent Demian, well done for getting up there. Thanks for the photos, have not been there for some years, and really like to get back up there soon and check out that glacier.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Scrambling, Mountaineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Nice report. Yes, recovery time is a good thing -- Evans is brutally steep.

Suggestion for next time: Explore further. Mt. Cook is walk-up from Wedgemount Lake -- some years back I've done it as day hike from parking lot. Weart is a bit longer, but fit people have done that one as day trip as well. Both can be nicely done on overnight trip.
I was eyeing Cook, but thought it was a little late in the day once we got camp set up, especially with the state of my legs. I definitely felt the draw though. Weart looked fun too. I'd definitely love to do them both on an overnighter that I was properly prepared for

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwmbm View Post
Did you go on the weekend or was it during the week that there were so many people?
It was a weekend trip.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page