Elaho Wanderings - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

 5Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Default

So heres where the major washout is.When you get to it head in the direction the road would appear to continue though it looks like a banged up streambed.Not the obvious road up to the west though it will take you close to the proper road/trail eventually.Flagging eventually.Take some pocket clippers,I broke as many branches as I could.The "road/trail"past here is pretty overgrown.
We drove after Peaches and Cream for a half an hour then got on our bikes with our packs as we encountered a creek flooding the road..Could easily cross the first couple of creeks in our vehicle but used the bikes since we had them.If you bike take a bear-bell strapped to your bike.Alot of fresh scat but berries probably done now down low.Took us 2 and a half hours hike to Bug lake trail turn-up I think from the washout.If your in shape and motivated another couple of hours up to Bug lake but prepare to suffer from our quick recon up!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Washout.png
Views:	278
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	262462  

jverschuyl likes this.
Jaaklucas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 11:10 AM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaklucas View Post
So heres where the major washout is.When you get to it head in the direction the road would appear to continue though it looks like a banged up streambed.Not the obvious road up to the west though it will take you close to the proper road/trail eventually.Flagging eventually.Take some pocket clippers,I broke as many branches as I could.The "road/trail"past here is pretty overgrown.
We drove after Peaches and Cream for a half an hour then got on our bikes with our packs as we encountered a creek flooding the road..Could easily cross the first couple of creeks in our vehicle but used the bikes since we had them.If you bike take a bear-bell strapped to your bike.Alot of fresh scat but berries probably done now down low.Took us 2 and a half hours hike to Bug lake trail turn-up I think from the washout.If your in shape and motivated another couple of hours up to Bug lake but prepare to suffer from our quick recon up!
I wonder if this washout can be crossed in a 4x4? I was planning a trip to Outrigger and this is the last bridge before starting to climb up the FSRs...
vdg is offline  
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 02:04 PM
Scaling New Heights
 
TimeToGoHiking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: North Shore
Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography
Posts: 84
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdg View Post
I wonder if this washout can be crossed in a 4x4? I was planning a trip to Outrigger and this is the last bridge before starting to climb up the FSRs...
I would confirm this before you go however I recall reading late last year on a 4x4 forum that the washout has been cleared as they are now logging up there again. I'll see if I can find the post.

It did used to be crossed by BIG 4x4's though.

Edit: Found the posting
May 8/18
Elaho main line past 45/46 is now a go for stock 4x4s. Went up there today and an excavator has cleared a path. I guess there was a sudden rush to get tree planters up there by next week.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can

Last edited by TimeToGoHiking; 04-09-2019 at 02:45 PM.
TimeToGoHiking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2019, 05:26 PM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
I would confirm this before you go however I recall reading late last year on a 4x4 forum that the washout has been cleared as they are now logging up there again. I'll see if I can find the post.

It did used to be crossed by BIG 4x4's though.

Edit: Found the posting
May 8/18
Elaho main line past 45/46 is now a go for stock 4x4s. Went up there today and an excavator has cleared a path. I guess there was a sudden rush to get tree planters up there by next week.
That bridge that I was referring to(marked on the map above) is on the G Main FSR, not on Elaho Main line...so it does not apply to me
Thanks anyway..
TimeToGoHiking likes this.
vdg is offline  
post #20 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2019, 02:47 PM
Scaling New Heights
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdg View Post
I wonder if this washout can be crossed in a 4x4? I was planning a trip to Outrigger and this is the last bridge before starting to climb up the FSRs...
No. There was a 4x4 stopped at the circled place on my posted map for the few days we camped there. Our first hiking there was in the late afternoon of our arrival, the west logging road heading up. We thought this was the way through. It would have worked for hiking but we were tired and returned to the circled campsite to re-think. If you could drive that it could get you a little closer to the upper south flank of Outrigger. Not sure on the route up to Outrigger, skis up the creek?
So we got back to the circled area to camp and after looking at the washout we found the main road carrying through right where the road seems to end, now a broad stream-bed choked with slide alder that you would have to log to drive through. And after that it gets into the after affects of the Elaho fire,huge burnt trees have come down the sometimes steep base of Outrigger. Doubt it will get fixed as theres no logging there now! Unless the Sunshine coast Third crossing folks get their road....
Jaaklucas is offline  
post #21 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 01:17 PM
Hittin' the Trails
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaaklucas View Post
No. There was a 4x4 stopped at the circled place on my posted map for the few days we camped there. Our first hiking there was in the late afternoon of our arrival, the west logging road heading up. We thought this was the way through. It would have worked for hiking but we were tired and returned to the circled campsite to re-think. If you could drive that it could get you a little closer to the upper south flank of Outrigger. Not sure on the route up to Outrigger, skis up the creek?
So we got back to the circled area to camp and after looking at the washout we found the main road carrying through right where the road seems to end, now a broad stream-bed choked with slide alder that you would have to log to drive through. And after that it gets into the after affects of the Elaho fire,huge burnt trees have come down the sometimes steep base of Outrigger. Doubt it will get fixed as theres no logging there now! Unless the Sunshine coast Third crossing folks get their road....
Was up hunting on the G Main on Saturday. The Sims Creek area is now undergoing tree planting, and the road is now clear and open and accessible to 4 x 4 all the way to Sims Creek, and over it to the foot of Mount Wilson. There is one moderately deep creek that will require driving through, and another lesser creek that you can sprint through along a shallow area. Caution: the bridge over the little creek between Bierman and Outrigger Creeks (the one with the Grizzly Bear / No motor vehicle access between Apr. 1 and Jun 15 sign) has a chain link gate that gets locked every day by the tree planting company at 4:30. Four years on, the level of devastation caused by the fire in the area is jaw dropping. There were, however, some terrific views of the broad fen straddling the Elaho at the confluence with Sims Creek; the tree planters said it is common to see moose down there from up on the mountainside.
copperloss is offline  
post #22 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 11:21 AM
vdg
Headed for the Mountains
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: vancouver, BC, Canada.
Posts: 284
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by copperloss View Post
Was up hunting on the G Main on Saturday. The Sims Creek area is now undergoing tree planting, and the road is now clear and open and accessible to 4 x 4 all the way to Sims Creek, and over it to the foot of Mount Wilson. There is one moderately deep creek that will require driving through, and another lesser creek that you can sprint through along a shallow area. Caution: the bridge over the little creek between Bierman and Outrigger Creeks (the one with the Grizzly Bear / No motor vehicle access between Apr. 1 and Jun 15 sign) has a chain link gate that gets locked every day by the tree planting company at 4:30. Four years on, the level of devastation caused by the fire in the area is jaw dropping. There were, however, some terrific views of the broad fen straddling the Elaho at the confluence with Sims Creek; the tree planters said it is common to see moose down there from up on the mountainside.
Thanks a lot for the update!
vdg is offline  
post #23 of (permalink) Old 05-27-2019, 03:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 6
Default

that looks incredible!thanks for posting
bertha is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome
 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1