SC/GI = Sunshine Coast & Gulf Islands Mt Dick - Texada Island - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By jspitfire

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Mt Dick - Texada Island

Hey folks, just spent 3 days kayaking around Lasqueti Island! I took the passenger ferry into False Bay and started paddling eastbound from there. My goal for the first night was Mt Dick, a series of rock bluffs in South Texada Provincial Park.

There's very little info on this hike online, so I really didn't know where the supposed trail starts. I chose a beach to aim for while crossing Sabine Channel, and hauled all of my gear up on shore. There was definitely no trail from the beach I chose, but it was fairly easy bushwhacking through to some gently sloping bluffs. About half way up the route finding got a little more difficult, as there were quite a few small cliffs that I needed to find a way around. I managed to stay away from any real climbing, and reached the top in an hour 20, where I finally found a solitary piece of flagging! GPS said 510m at the top.

I set up the tent on a nice level patch of dirt, and thoroughly enjoyed a view which includes Lasqueti, Vancouver Island, and the Sunshine Coast all the way back to Vancouver.

On the way back down in the morning I followed the flagging tape, which while not much of a trail underfoot, proved to be a well marked and easier route. I took a guess on where to break off for my beach, and of course ended up getting it wrong! Another 15 mins of back tracking got me back to my kayak, for a time of 1:20 down as well.

After that it was onwards to Jedediah Is and one more night of camping at the West end of Lasqueti! Just a few pics of the hike for now, I can post a few more of kayaking later.

Jason
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page