• 1 Post By KARVITK
  • 1 Post By Masiar
  • 1 Post By Elkaholic

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2017, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar
Default Little Diamond Head (June 11, 2017) - Elfin to Alice Lake

Wanted to connect a nice loop today and it looked like I was going to have nice weather. It took me 3hrs to get from the Elfin Lakes trail head to the Elfin Hut - the snow line was what I've been seeing everywhere 1100m.

I was a little uneasy traveling alone all day after seeing a giant black bear first thing in the morning and getting growled at from a tree by something else (cougar perhaps).

After a bite to eat at the hut I made my way to the Columnar / Gargoyles col. The snow was isothermic and wet and cornices hung so high I pretty much had to summit the Gargoyles to find a suitable way down.

After that, the weather moved in and I was felt completely disorientated with no visual reference points for a while. I had to keep looking back but at some point it didn't matter. It was white literally everywhere with no sight line - it feels entirely unnatural and you're grasping for anything to give you a clue.

I kept moving up slowly and surely and then finally saw dark stone, a bit of melted ridge. I hugged that thing like a life line up and down, it was the only thing saving me from a white abyss. The last 200m to the Little Diamond head summit were snow free and it was a sandy, rocky, fall-apart texture. I couldn't see anything except that I was on a knife ridge with a drop offs on either side.

I didn't exactly want to linger and there was an unknown route ahead of me to figure out. So I hugged the line making sure not to go too close in case of the cornices and descended towards what I thought was Alice Ridge.

The snow was soft and moving was fine in the upper alpine although navigation was tough in the white out. I followed the natural terrain down and right until finally I could see Squamish far below. I was at least heading towards civilization!

Before me I could see a logging road, I just had to get to it. A bit more contouring, a couple creek ravines, some tree weaving back and forth and eventually I got to my road. It was NOT the paradise I had hoped for. Instead I was met by an alter grove of spring loaded trees which made bashing through exhausting and slow moving.

Finally things opened up to a road which I could tell at some point had been skied. I descended and sure enough at 1100m I was back on rock.

Bears seem to use this road, I saw lots of droppings. The road keeps going and going and going and going and going. After 30km, I was ready for it to be over and so were my very wet feet. In the lower aspects I was happy to start seeing some of the mountain biking trails and signs of other people Job done! For the record I think Alice ridge is more work than the Elfin Lakes route.

Distance: 35km
Elevation Gain: 1605m / 5,265ft
Elevation Loss: 2100m

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9602.jpg
Views:	4475
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	207954  

Name:	IMG_9611.jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	207962  

Name:	IMG_9599.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	207970  

Name:	IMG_9614.jpg
Views:	1197
Size:	376.8 KB
ID:	207978  

Name:	IMG_9618.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	207986  

Name:	whiteout.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	207994  

Name:	IMG_9646.jpg
Views:	1196
Size:	340.1 KB
ID:	208002  

Name:	IMG_9647.jpg
Views:	1189
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	208010  

Name:	IMG_9655.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	208018  

Name:	IMG_9659.jpg
Views:	1210
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	208026  

Name:	IMG_9662.jpg
Views:	1207
Size:	682.4 KB
ID:	208034  

Name:	IMG_9663.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	208042  

Name:	IMG_9665.jpg
Views:	1168
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	208050  

Name:	IMG_9668.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	334.9 KB
ID:	208058  

Name:	IMG_9673.jpg
Views:	1186
Size:	516.6 KB
ID:	208066  

Name:	IMG_9677.jpg
Views:	1211
Size:	845.4 KB
ID:	208074  

Name:	IMG_9683.PNG
Views:	1251
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	208082  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for this report. I've always wondered if Alice Ridge would make a good bike 'n hike, sounds like not unless there is another trail on the ridge.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 08:48 PM
Summit Master

How interesting. I've been to Gargoyles etc but never crossed my mind to try this loop.
Alder pics are surreal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2017, 11:41 PM
High on the Mountain Top

35 km and thousands of feet in elev gain/loss in one day, with none too much in the way of good weather. Ouch! Have you been munching on those rum+raisin chocolate bars, the ones with WAY too much rum ... That aside, what a great TR. Do you carry a Locator Beacon or similar device?

That's a serious snow pack that could flatten tough, springy alders like that.
Masiar likes this.

Last edited by xj6response; 06-14-2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: missed words
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-15-2017, 12:16 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Great trip Masiar; and very much enjoyed your TR writing and pictures. That is one serious loop. I have been to Little Diamond Head via Elfin Lakes and returned the same way. Really appreciate the effort you put in with shortage in the 'views' department.

K
Masiar likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 AM
Hittin' the Trails

whats that app???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

@xj6response Oh you know me so well Rum and Raisin Ritter Chocolate...hmmmmmm! Really I feel I got tricked, I mean did you see the nice morning picture?! I could even see Garibaldi, all was looking swell. Then in a sinister manner it lulled me closer and closer...I got as high as the Gargoyles pass before the clouds moved in. Alas days like that I lie to myself and call "training days".

As for the beacon, yes absolutely! After returning at like 2am once from Marriott and freaking out my family I never go out without my InReach now Especially if traveling solo.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 01:31 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

The app is called Gaia and I highly recommend it. It runs on your phone and you don't need cell signal. It has many many trails on there because it's an open source map and it's excellent. I now run all GPS routes in parallel...Garmin 60CX + Gaia + paper map
aspersa likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2017, 07:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

The first picture in your report is very classy, it really catches the mood of a June hike.
Masiar likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 01:16 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Very interesting trip! I have planned a similar trip for the summer season. There used to be a trail along Alice Ridge to the Little Diamondhead. In those days I could take my motorcycle up the logging roads to the trailhead.I once hiked to the Little Diamond Head and then followed a creekbed down to the trail to Opal Cone. As I remember it, the trail stayed on the Cheekeye River side of Alice Ridge and went through a forested area with pretty big evergreen trees. That portion has probably been logged off. I have attached a track partly recorded and partly fabricated at gpsies.com. If you open with Google Earth you can see a faint line that could be the trail.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Track_Alice Lake to Diamondhead Proposed.gpx (96.3 KB, 18 views)
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2018, 01:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

This has renewed my interest in the Elfin Lakes area. I've snowshoed Elfin Lakes once about two year ago, making it to the shelter. I didn't see much because of the weather conditions. I was surprised to see Park Rangers monitoring the trail. I was in above average fitness at the time, and I still found it a bit long and boring of a snowshoe experience. I did plan on returning and conquering Opal Cone as an overnighter, before my overnight gear was stolen. Seeing this makes it seem possible to head out to Opal Cone and back to the beginning of the Elfin Lakes trail in one day during the summer. Anyone try this out yet?

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page