H/FC/C = Hope / Fraser Canyon / Coquihalla Mount Hatfield from Eleven Mile Creek Valley - May 28 17 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

4Likes
  • 4 Post By simonc

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: 10%
Default Mount Hatfield from Eleven Mile Creek Valley - May 28 17

Justin (Just B) had checked out the new logging road on the north side of Eleven Mile Creek a couple of days before so when we headed up there he'd packed a few tools. Access is off Eight Mile Road (1km up) which branches of Highway 3 before the Hope Slide. The road has been heavily cross ditched and requires high clearance with a low range. Justin's 4Runner did fine with the tow hitch dragging numerous times. Getting to about km 3 we encountered the first obstacle - a landslip area. We jumped out, grabbed some long pry bars and got to work moving boulders (prying and rolling along with a bit of rubble digging) out of the way for 20 minutes or so to make it just barely passable (good to have a spotter).

The road gets pretty steep in places and loose but we continued on to around km 6 where a couple of trees were blocking things. Out comes the chainsaw and that's soon cleared. We can see the snow on the road a little further up and decide to continue to there. A rather shallow ditch didn't look like a problem but it did have 8 inch shear sides on the right so he stuck more to the left but we spun out on the loose bed coming out of it. Backing up he went a little too much on the uphill side of the ditch into pooling water and suddenly we were tilted at a pretty crazy angle. We got out for a look - not good. Front left wheel buried 3/4 into a quagmire (recent snow melt and running water had left the road bed in the ditch saturated) and the rear right wheel off the ground.

A pickle.

He did have a strap and come-along but this was a fresh cutblock and there's nothing nearby to tie off to. We tried extending things using my climbing rope but as it is dynamic, all it did was stretch out when we tied off to a bunch of logs (visible in picture above). Now what? Luckily, we did have cell service so Justin started to make some calls. It took a few but a friend in Hope just happened to own a RZR Side by Side and it was sitting on his trailer ready to go. 40 minutes later he roars up the road, takes stock of things, hooks up the tow strap and with no effort at all he yanks us out. Lone Wolf is his name on CT and we were heavily in his debt and very thankful.

Hooked up and ready to pull.

Lone Wolf and his Side by Side - cool machine.

After he takes off, we park the truck and continue up the road on foot for about half a km to a good sized creek. It's around noon by now so we probably won't have time to try for Manson but we're okay with that. We start to ascend through spindly forest which has a good portion of snow cover with minimal post-holing. We keep the sound of the creek on climbers right as the snow becomes continuous to reach a bowl and things flatten out for a while. We're trending more to the right but if you went left it would give good access to the southeast ridge of Macleod.

Another steepish section on soft snow (good for kicking in steps and not quite soft enough to require snowshoes) got us up to the upper bowl where things were opening up so we took a break here. Beyond that the views were getting good as we continued upwards to reach the southern ridge of Hatfield at a pleasant flat spot. Snowshoes and a few other items were dumped here. Once again we'd took the snowshoes but didn't end up needing them (like on Mount Coulter a few weeks before).

Upper bowl area with Macleod behind Justin.

The route ahead up the south ridge of Hatfield.

Looking down the other side of the ridge to Kippan Lakes, the Sowaqua Creek Valley along with Tulameen and Davis.

The south ridge of Hatfield is rated as class 3 and that was how it went - on snow and on rock (one steep snow section probably class 4 because if you slid it would be down the east side cliffs). A very enjoyable scramble gaining around 250m elevation. The crux is a muddy chimney guarded by a bush with snow then loose rock above but it went well.

Justin coming through that area.

After that part and a bit more scrambling we cross a large snow patch and ascend the last section up to the summit with it's wooden sign. Pretty good views from up here and we can make out Golden Ears to the west. We settle in to what would become over 1.5 hours up there enjoying the views, warm temperatures and taking a lot of pictures.

Southern view along Manson Ridge with Outram at left, Silvertip area rear right and Johnson nearer right.

Macleod Peak just west of us. Grant and the Cheam Range way back left with the Old Settler way back right.

Zooming in on Outram (trail comes up right skyline) with Mount Manson lower right. Marmot then Jack in the background with part of Hozomeen visible too.

Zoom on Brown and Silvertip all the way around to Forddred. Johnson near right. Bonus points if you can name the 2 peaks way back right.

2227m elevation summit shot.

I dug around in the summit cairn and found a pipe tube that was totally waterlogged. One bagged piece of paper was beyond recovery but a more recent one was dried out (some familiar names from the past few years) and we added our names before putting it in a new ziploc and back in the pipe. It hadn't taken us that long to reach the peak from the road but time was getting on and the beers were down there so we packed up and started down.

Justin and upper mountain.

We couldn't get enough of these views.

Snazzy, Snass, Dewdney, Ford and Outram.

Justin coming down the crux.

The crux was descended easily but we did face in and make good use of the ice axe on a couple of steep snow sections. Back to the flat rock on the ridge we dumped everything but cameras and went south up a small bump to get better view of where we'd just been.

Mount Hatfield. We basically went straight up to the upper snow patch then right.

A happy Justin with a backdrop of Outram and Manson.

The continuation of the ridge towards Manson and beyond.

Me on a diving board rock. Old Arsenal jersey worn as they partially made up for another mid-season meltdown by winning the FA Cup the day before.

Justin and I had a good trip to Tulameen Mountain 7 years ago (taken at the flat rock area).

Back down to the flat rock for another quick break then we packed up all the gear and started downwards. I had the snowshoes out and the snow was softer but it was easy enough to travel in boots so I put them back on my pack once we got lower down. Just a matter now of retracing our uptrack back to the logging road and soon we're back at the vehicle pulling a couple of cold ones out of the cross ditch creek. Total time wasn't much over 6 hours even with our extended summit stay. If you have a narrow h/c 4x4 with low range (and don't get stuck) this puts a few peaks very nearby. If not, the road is about 7km so the walk isn't that long.

Idea of the landslip area around km 3. The big boulder near left took some effort to wrestle out of the way.

Hope is nearby where we grab some McDonald's and head back to Justin's place to enjoy along with another beer to wind down a good day out.

Map of area and idea of route. Note that this new road does not show on Google Maps (except the first part). It does show on Bing Maps in satellite view.

Chainsawing with Manson and Outram in the distance.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/justinbr...68439843366939
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of IMG_20170528_100723.jpg
Views:	2933
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	205905  

Name:	Resize of IMG_20170528_111847.jpg
Views:	905
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	205913  

Name:	Resize of IMG_20170528_112312.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	584.2 KB
ID:	205921  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4647.jpg
Views:	871
Size:	821.0 KB
ID:	205929  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4650.jpg
Views:	883
Size:	945.8 KB
ID:	205937  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4653.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	825.0 KB
ID:	205945  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4663.jpg
Views:	881
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	205953  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4670.jpg
Views:	838
Size:	982.2 KB
ID:	205961  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4673.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	929.3 KB
ID:	205969  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4677.jpg
Views:	772
Size:	785.2 KB
ID:	205977  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4684.jpg
Views:	807
Size:	879.1 KB
ID:	205985  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4705.jpg
Views:	832
Size:	790.4 KB
ID:	205993  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4724.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	446.8 KB
ID:	206001  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4720.jpg
Views:	720
Size:	744.7 KB
ID:	206009  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4731.jpg
Views:	759
Size:	818.2 KB
ID:	206017  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4735.jpg
Views:	785
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	206025  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4743.jpg
Views:	812
Size:	745.3 KB
ID:	206033  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4752.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	883.1 KB
ID:	206041  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4754.jpg
Views:	802
Size:	786.9 KB
ID:	206049  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4759.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	601.7 KB
ID:	206057  

Name:	Resize of IMG_4767.jpg
Views:	800
Size:	727.1 KB
ID:	206065  

Name:	Resize of IMG_20170528_192324.jpg
Views:	842
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	206073  

Name:	hatfield2.png
Views:	797
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	206081  

Name:	Resize of IMG_20170528_094100.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	206089  

KARVITK, Mr. B, Redbeard and 1 others like this.

Last edited by simonc; 06-07-2017 at 08:18 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice to see you are back. Good work!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Excellent. Simon, good to see you back here and posting your epic trip reports, and awesome photos.

Very much enjoyed your report as always, an excellent and engageing read.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

A stuck 4Runner! That's not supposed to happen.... Well earned.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 05:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Your insistence on climbing new peaks serves you well once again. Too bad the road has already started to fall apart, though it sounds like an easy walk up.
I'm wondering if the route from this side, intersected with the one from Kippan Lakes, and if so, did Justin think the top section was easier once free of snow?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

The road is in good shape apart from that landslip area (and cross ditches but there's a reason for those). Justin had reached the high col (south ridge) from Kippan Lakes and I think from what I've heard it's a bit easier without the snow as we had a couple of steep snow sections.

I went back up that way yesterday but not with a capable vehicle so I parked at km 1.2 and walked. Not much more than an hour to where we parked the week before.

Last edited by simonc; 06-06-2017 at 03:21 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Mountaineering

Those are a couple of fine looking peaks Simon. How far up the road can you drive assuming you don't end up in "Brown's Bog"? Will there much bush once the snow leaves, I don't like bush?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2017, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblair View Post
Those are a couple of fine looking peaks Simon. How far up the road can you drive assuming you don't end up in "Brown's Bog"? Will there much bush once the snow leaves, I don't like bush?
The landslip area around km 3 has made a couple of other people nervous and they parked there but from there to where we left the road is under an hour. Manson is really close from the end of the road (just about snow free from what I could see last weekend). The spot where Justin and I went up didn't seem too bushy where there was no snow. Last weekend I was up there again, took an hour to walk the road to Brown's Bog (ha ha) from km 1.2

The snowline had receded and the exposed bush wasn't too bad (not much in the way of leaves yet). I can't say how it is in the lower to upper bowls but I'd say go right now as the snow is consolidated but soft enough to kick in steps when needed.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2017, 02:40 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Anything outdoors

I couldn't have said it better myself KARVITK !!

Excellent. Simon, good to see you back here and posting your epic trip reports, and awesome photos.

Very much enjoyed your report as always, an excellent and engageing read.

K

Thanks for sharing this new fsr with closer access to so many big peaks!!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page