6Likes
  • 4 Post By ShoelessJohn
  • 1 Post By John and Katie
  • 1 Post By KARVITK

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Windy Joe Trail - Nov 5, 2016

I wasn't sure I should write a trip report, but I remember seeing a missing PCT hiker notice at the trailhead, so I figure I'll at least post an image of that (click on the image below and see the notice at the bottom of the image):

Now that I'm here, I may as well write my trip report. Started few weeks ago where I keep lying on my bed staring at the ceiling doing nothing till noon for over a few weekends, decided I have to get out of the house. Booked myself 2 night stay at Manning Park lodge last weekend regardless of weather. (I'm glad it turned out to be one of the few places will very few rain that weekend). Got up early Saturday morning and was the first one at the restaurant for breakfast at 8am. After breakfast, I went back to bed... Seems to lost my will to do anything.

Luckily I managed to drag myself out of bed and went to the trailhead by 10am and started my hike. Forecast call for about 4 mm of rain that day (as compared to 40mm in Vancouver). The day is mostly switching from light rain to drizzle to no rain and then light rain again. So wasn't too bad.

At the first junction (about 2km in), I see people put down some message on the ground with some rocks for the PCT (runners?). Not sure what the last 2 letters meant.

After one hour into the hike, starting to few tired. I guess I have been inactive to too long. Really tempted to turn back. But after 5 min break. I kept going.

I was surprised that there weren't any snow for most of the trail.

Didn't start to see snow until way after the second junction (the PCT/Forsty Mt turn off). At about 15min to the top, I start to see some snow on the ground.

After 15 min or so, I see a toilet sign. I means I'm there.

As I was having lunch at the shelter, I was thinking I really should come back here when there are more snow and stay for an overnight. Would be awesome. I guess something to look forward to and get myself out of bed and keep my physical fitness up.

The whole morning I was the only one on the trail. But as I hike back down, I see two different couples hiking up. One of them has an air horn on his shoulder strap. I suddenly realize I should have brought my bear spray. There might still be bear looking for one last meal before hibernation. Oh well.

One nice thing about staying in the Lodge is that after the hike, I get to relax at the hot tub. Felt like I deserved it. Fighting my lack of physical fitness is easy. Fighting my mind to get myself the will to go on a hike was the most difficult part of my trip. Felt like a victory.

Anyways, I think I have enough babbling.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01050-s.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	655.6 KB
ID:	185585  

Name:	DSC01051-s.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	929.7 KB
ID:	185593  

Name:	DSC01054-s.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	185601  

Name:	DSC01055-s.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	934.0 KB
ID:	185609  

Name:	DSC01057-s.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	185617  

Name:	DSC01062-s.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	972.0 KB
ID:	185625  

Name:	DSC01063-s.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	728.4 KB
ID:	185633  

Name:	DSC01065-s.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	664.2 KB
ID:	185641  

Name:	DSC01068-s.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	740.6 KB
ID:	185649  

Name:	DSC01070-s.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	185657  

Name:	DSC01076-s.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	185665  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Scaling New Heights

were all the windows fixed?
last time i was up in september there was 1-2 broken windows by the door, however i mentioned it to the park rangers so hopefully that has been addressed before winter.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Don't see any broken window. Didn't do careful inspection. But notice the top row have wooden board covering up something that could have been an openning (for a window?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 08:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Deciding whether to sleep in or get up early for a hike can be half the battle when the weather is dreary. Good job winning that battle. Looks like it was well worth it. : )
TimeToGoHiking likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 10:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Deciding whether to sleep in or get up early for a hike can be half the battle when the weather is dreary. Good job winning that battle. Looks like it was well worth it. : )
I second that comment; It is great you pulled yourself up and got motivated to do that hike, really appreciate your writing and posting the photos, and enjoyed your report.

I was in your position about 12 - 13 years ago; poorly motivated, watching too much TV and getting too heavy.
...then I caught the hiking bug, started slow, and now I am full in when I am healthy.

K
TimeToGoHiking likes this.

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2016, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Thanks Karvitk.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 03:25 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Couldn't agree more. It is tough some days but it does feel good once you get out on the trail.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page