• 3 Post By guntis
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things
Default Jane Lakes Loop

Oct 22, 2016

It's shoulder season and things are slow in ClubTread land. People are eyeing snow lines and resorting to reading GVWD board meeting minutes for fun. I wanted a good workout, but didn't feel motivated enough for a full day of postholing or bushwhacking. Jane Lakes has been on my mind for a while as I haven't been there since university days.

There is parking next to the playground at the Cheakamus Crossing (Whistler Olympic Village) development. From here, it's a long FSR walk to the lakes!

Along the way:

A couple of giant puddles on the road blocked my way a few times, but I mostly managed to bypass them. At last I reached West Jane Lake. It's nice, but a lot of effort for an only mildly interesting reward.

I had a quick look at the small westernmost lake, but the trail was a bit bushy and wet, with an elevation drop, so I decided to skip it. The route to East Jane Lake appears to be infrequently travelled. There were a few more wet obstacles along the way.

The east lake has a small but nice flat area to hang out. Some boulder hopping required.

It's 2km from the East Jane Lake to the Black Tusk Microwave Road. Considerable work has been done on this trail. I was very impressed and enjoyed being able to pick up my pace through this section. Nicely graded, with wooden bridges to cross all the creeks.

All that was left was the long walk back to the car. I left the Westside Main road to walk the nicer bike trail LSD for a while. Finished things off with a warm coffee and fresh baked goods in Function Junction.

STATS
18.8km, 750m cumulative elevation gain
(I did run about 1/2 of the route, thankfully I didn't bring my bike as the Jane Lakes connector is not really suitable)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jane_Lakes_Route.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	506.9 KB
ID:	184401  

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	552.6 KB
ID:	184409  

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	2438
Size:	488.4 KB
ID:	184417  

Name:	DSC_9390.jpg
Views:	803
Size:	666.7 KB
ID:	184425  

Name:	DSC_9389.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	574.6 KB
ID:	184433  

Name:	DSC_9382.jpg
Views:	1064
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	184441  

Name:	DSC_9379.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	184449  

Name:	DSC_9376.jpg
Views:	813
Size:	326.2 KB
ID:	184457  

Name:	DSC_9373.jpg
Views:	856
Size:	418.5 KB
ID:	184465  

Name:	DSC_9392.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	574.8 KB
ID:	184473  

Last edited by guntis; 10-23-2016 at 11:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 04:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Jane Lakes are pretty on a sunny but at least they're low elevation. wow, that's a long walk along the road. We last did that area in 2014. We also went there a month or so ago but the road has brushed in too much and I was chicken to get my fancy-ass jeep cherokee all scratched up. I was too lazy to road walk it. There was also active logging on the road, where the truck driver wasn't using his VHF radio to call his position (We have a commercial VHF radio for BC logging roads). Pi$$ed me right off and I told him off, where upon he turned his radio on...

was the logging still active?

Our access was similar but really for the lazy among us
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	jane lakes.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	313.9 KB
ID:	184633  

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 05:48 PM
Hittin' the Trails

WORCA trail crew did the new work from Black Tusk to east lake end of the summer, there's 2 more seasons of planned work too for more brushing, maintenance, and re-routes on the existing system and hopefully some development of new trail on either end to connect Jane Lakes to the Interpretive forest network and maybe back down towards the Sea to Sky trail too so it would be a complete loop of trail rather than so much road.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Jane Lakes are pretty on a sunny but at least they're low elevation. wow, that's a long walk along the road. We last did that area in 2014. We also went there a month or so ago but the road has brushed in too much and I was chicken to get my fancy-ass jeep cherokee all scratched up. I was too lazy to road walk it. There was also active logging on the road, where the truck driver wasn't using his VHF radio to call his position (We have a commercial VHF radio for BC logging roads). Pi$$ed me right off and I told him off, where upon he turned his radio on...

was the logging still active?

Our access was similar but really for the lazy among us
I didn't come across any vehicles, but road looks well travelled. The road definitely gets rougher at the turn off where you parked (in previous report). A good 4x4 would make it, but there would definitely be some pinstriping!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
WORCA trail crew did the new work from Black Tusk to east lake end of the summer, there's 2 more seasons of planned work too for more brushing, maintenance, and re-routes on the existing system and hopefully some development of new trail on either end to connect Jane Lakes to the Interpretive forest network and maybe back down towards the Sea to Sky trail too so it would be a complete loop of trail rather than so much road.
Great news. If the trails are extended at the same level of quality, I'll definitely be back. My original plan was to bring a bike (glad I didn't). Is the intention for this to be mixed use?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 06:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post

Great news. If the trails are extended at the same level of quality, I'll definitely be back. My original plan was to bring a bike (glad I didn't). Is the intention for this to be mixed use?
Really have to give WORCA, the Alpine Club, RMOW etc some serious credit for excellent Trail Construction in the Whistler area... It really is very good and far ahead of almost any other area. Once completed Jane Lakes would be a great early or late season hike ... or bike?
susied likes this.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 10:22 PM
Off the Beaten Path

The BOMB squad up here in Powell River also deserve some serious credit for their continuous work on the Sunshine Coast Trail (and other trails in the area). Thank you to trail builders/maintainers everywhere.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:29 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by susied View Post
The BOMB squad up here in Powell River also deserve some serious credit for their continuous work on the Sunshine Coast Trail (and other trails in the area). Thank you to trail builders/maintainers everywhere.
yup, spot on ... and i might mention the Summit Trail Makers in the Columbia Valley from Kimberely to Golden, outstanding trail work in the Purcells and Rockies. Hmmm ... guess this is all a little off topic

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 11:52 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
I didn't come across any vehicles, but road looks well travelled. The road definitely gets rougher at the turn off where you parked (in previous report). A good 4x4 would make it, but there would definitely be some pinstriping!

It will definitely be the same flavour of the new work and it is non-motorized mixed use and the work is being done with the support of the RMOW and ACC Whistler
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 12:39 AM
Summit Master

I like the pics, what cam was that?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
I like the pics, what cam was that?
Thank you. I hauled my Nikon D90 along this time. Conditions were a bit challenging, with wet shrubbery, sun in the eyes, and I'm out of practice. But my phone would have done a terrible job on a day like that.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page