User Tag List

6Likes
  • 5 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 11:17 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Iceberg Lk-Skywalk Trail - Whistler

Spent a nice sunny day this week hiking up to Iceberg Lake via the new and old 19 mile trail from the Mountainview Drive trailhead north of whistler. This trail tracked out at 8.12 km one way from my jeep to the rocky outcrop above the lake. A difference in elevation from TH to the outcrop was about 2750 ft. For the dayhikers among us, this is a moderately strenuous hike with a few sections (first 1 1/2 km and latter few km) involving steady climbs. The fieldwork done on this trail by the RMOW crew is first rate. Although their efforts are still underway the trail is now becoming a local fave. The alignment, creek crossings and pathway are in very good shape notwithstanding a few muddy sections particularly in the last km before the subalpine meadow.

A word of warning, on the way up in the cool morning we encountered no bug life. On the way down, in the warmth of day, we were assailed by mud wasps in two locations. Horrible little buggers, stung me five times, my wife twice and a fellow hiker's dog, many times. There is a notably large cedar tree a km or so along the new section from the intersection of the flank trail. It is in this area where these aggressive Daubers dwell. Be careful.

A few pics:
The last 1 1/2 km up in the subalpine looking back across the valley, up to north side of Rainbow Mtn and the lake itself

Pics along the trail

The route
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small23.jpg
Views:	3850
Size:	357.2 KB
ID:	180385  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small19.jpg
Views:	2042
Size:	456.8 KB
ID:	180393  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small21.jpg
Views:	1967
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	180409  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small27.jpg
Views:	2081
Size:	394.3 KB
ID:	180417  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small28.jpg
Views:	1944
Size:	444.2 KB
ID:	180425  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small12.jpg
Views:	1980
Size:	443.7 KB
ID:	180433  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small14.jpg
Views:	1932
Size:	482.9 KB
ID:	180441  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small17.jpg
Views:	2012
Size:	471.6 KB
ID:	180449  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small11.jpg
Views:	1963
Size:	486.7 KB
ID:	180457  

Name:	route.jpg
Views:	2037
Size:	242.8 KB
ID:	180465  

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small20.jpg
Views:	3815
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	180473  

Last edited by xj6response; 10-01-2016 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 01:17 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

Either I am getting old (most likely) or the bridge with the railing just went in as I don't remember that when I was up there a few weeks ago.

And yes a few of us and the dog got bit/stung also.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can

Last edited by TimeToGoHiking; 10-01-2016 at 01:20 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
Either I am getting old (most likely) or the bridge with the railing just went in as I don't remember that when I was up there a few weeks ago.

And yes a few of us and the dog got bit/stung also.
Having not been that way before I can't say how recent the bridge is but it's not been there long, to be sure. The bridge building guys were at the subalpine meadow when I was there, putting in more crossings.

They told me about the new "Kevin's run" trail that loops back from the lake over a ridge to the north east and back down to the main trail. Very recent as well.

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:07 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Thanks for the wasp warning! That hike was on the short list for this weekend but things didn't pan out.

TTGH, That bridge was there in 2014 so it's been there at least a couple of years.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Thanks for the wasp warning! That hike was on the short list for this weekend but things didn't pan out.

TTGH, That bridge was there in 2014 so it's been there at least a couple of years.
Thanks for that about the bridge. Those whistler trail folks are doing a great job ... this nice little span was a recent addition, crossing a stream near the sub-alpine meadow below Iceberg lake.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Iceberg_lk_whistler2016_small22.jpg
Views:	1742
Size:	544.8 KB
ID:	181161  

msulkers likes this.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 12:31 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Just a note. The Skywalk Trail system was built by volunteer labour by the Alpine Club of Canada-Whistler Section. The last bridge placed last week was built by the RMOW. The RMOW has supported the ACC-Whistler crew with some funding, technical support, and liaison with land managers, first nations, etc.

The bridge with the handrail (long bridge) was originally built in the first year of work on the trail and has been there since 2014. Kevin's Home Run, the new trail back to long bridge, is this year's trailbuilding effort...Enjoy..
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post
Just a note. The Skywalk Trail system was built by volunteer labour by the Alpine Club of Canada-Whistler Section. The last bridge placed last week was built by the RMOW. The RMOW has supported the ACC-Whistler crew with some funding, technical support, and liaison with land managers, first nations, etc.

The bridge with the handrail (long bridge) was originally built in the first year of work on the trail and has been there since 2014. Kevin's Home Run, the new trail back to long bridge, is this year's trailbuilding effort...Enjoy..
Thanks for that info, very informative. More importantly a sincere thanks to ACC whistler and RMOW for this excellent infrastructure.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 02:32 PM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post

We hiked Kevin's Home Run probably less than a week after it 'opened'. We were lucky enough to meet a park ranger at Rainbow Lake the day before and he told us about it. This is a fantastic trail and we loved how 'new' and fresh everything was looking.

Mitch, how far is the Screaming Cat Lake from upper Kevin's Home Run? We hiked clockwise from Iceberg Lake, passed Long Lake (was blown away by the beauty of it) and then continued towards Kevin's Home Run and back down to the connector trail.

p.s. I said it before, both here and on Instagram, you guys did an amazing job with this trail. Kudos to everyone involved in building this beautiful trail!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by kore View Post
We hiked Kevin's Home Run probably less than a week after it 'opened'. We were lucky enough to meet a park ranger at Rainbow Lake the day before and he told us about it. This is a fantastic trail and we loved how 'new' and fresh everything was looking.
Wow, now you make me really want to get up there and give that "Kevin's HR" section a try. The bridge builder fellas we ran into at the subalpine meadow were very enthused about the new trail and suggested we try it. Will do that ASAP.

Last edited by xj6response; 10-05-2016 at 06:27 PM. Reason: spelling

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page