User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things
Default Skyline Ridge (Squamish) Loop

Sep 25, 2016

I've wanted to connect this loop since last year, and finally got to it. Thanks to @zelkjok for his inspiring report.

Our conditions were somewhat less optimal, but it was an interesting trip nonetheless. My route plan came out nearly exactly the same as the result, so that was good.

From the service road gate, we headed straight toward Stadium Glacier, touched it just because, and then hooked right, contouring up easy ledges. This part was the most enjoyable section of the trip. Even little Otto could do it.

One step required us to assist the dog, but I think we could have contoured around to avoid this bit.

Co-Pilot was barely visible. We traversed below its base and up some scree to access its northern ridge. From here, we had to walk around to the steep western ridge. There's a really intimidating gully to look at - don't go in there! The route then drops down the treed slope. We were guided by occasional boot tracks and sparse flagging. In wet weather, it would be better to ascend this way, as the vegetation can make it slippery. But we didn't know this. There were a couple of spots where we had to coax and carry the unhappy dog. He just wouldn't do it unassisted (and didn't have hands to hold onto things).

Although kind of ugly, it's a very short section and provides the opportunity to create a loop trip. Looking back, Co-Pilot is cloaked in fog:

Skyline Ridge is indeed very nice. Otto soon began to relax, and happily trotted alongside us for the rest of the trip.

The only criticism of this loop is that approximately 12km of it was along old road. Great trail running territory, but we were happy to finally get back to the car.

STATS
20.6km
1,515m cumulative elevation gain
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	1352
Size:	656.3 KB
ID:	180233  

Name:	Skyline Ridge Route.jpg
Views:	2958
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	180241  

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	1434
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	180249  

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	601.4 KB
ID:	180257  

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	1319
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	180265  

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	1338
Size:	551.9 KB
ID:	180273  

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	1382
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	180281  

Name:	005.jpg
Views:	1364
Size:	595.2 KB
ID:	180289  

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	1395
Size:	515.0 KB
ID:	180297  

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	458.3 KB
ID:	180305  

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	1321
Size:	396.8 KB
ID:	180313  

Last edited by guntis; 09-27-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Summit Master

Aha!
Thank you for this. I never got around doing it. Very good to know technical part is easy so even little Otto (or myself for that matter) can do it.

I hike in the Rockies these days, but look with great longing to Squamish area in particular all that wonderful alpine above Sea-to-Sky gondola.

Too bad weather was not ideal, but it is reason to return some other time
guntis likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:38 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I did the loop yesterday as run & hike but Skyline trail to sky pilot trail passing under Co-Pilot.
guntis likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:39 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice to see the stats, did this yesterday with Michelle, but in the opposite direction, i think starting off on Skyline would be easier route finding.
guntis likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 10:40 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle h View Post
I did the loop yesterday as run & hike but Skyline trail to sky pilot trail passing under Co-Pilot.
Beat me to it!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 11:03 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeeto View Post
Nice to see the stats, did this yesterday with Michelle, but in the opposite direction, i think starting off on Skyline would be easier route finding.
Yes, I also thought so because you climb the trickiest part
I was only not sure about the bit when you circle around Copilot, but it seems to be a non-issue

Most tricky bit in that area in terms of non-summit (i.e Co-pilot) hiking is Skyline - Goat Ridge connection; it was discussed several times on this forum if memory serves me well.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Most tricky bit in that area in terms of non-summit (i.e Co-pilot) hiking is Skyline - Goat Ridge connection; it was discussed several times on this forum if memory serves me well.
I think I've read about every thread on this topic and don't recall any clear route description. It's begging for someone to pioneer.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 02:31 PM
Summit Master

ecarter1 has good description in his report
https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-traverse.html

Quote:
We continued towards Goat summit by ascending the main obvious gully. It was steep gravel with much kicking steps into dirt and pulling on bushes. We were very worried about kicking rocks on each other and a tumble here would be a long was down an unpleasant slope. We came to a treed ledge leading right onto the ridge crest with better rock and followed that to the summit with some 4th class scrambling and much exposure.
There is also some discussion in my Skyline TR guntis referenced on top of this thread.

In addition check 2nd page of Masiar report
https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-2014-a-2.html

pic with approximate ecarter1 route:
guntis likes this.

Last edited by zeljkok; 09-28-2016 at 03:34 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

It would be incredible to develop (or at least identify) a safe route up to the high point of Goat Ridge. It is such a short distance away from Skyline Ridge! I imagine the connection to Co-Pilot came about the same way (ie. a few brave souls experimenting with some options and finally finding their way through).

It might be as simple as flagging and perhaps a fixed handline...I don't know. My trip had zero visibility so I couldn't put eyes on Goat's terminus and steep west face.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Looks like someone is really enjoying time on the trails with a 4-legger...fantastic photograph. As for Otto, I know that 'death-grip' and look in the eyes very well. He will eventually forgive you, if not already. : )

post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Looks like someone is really enjoying time on the trails with a 4-legger...fantastic photograph. As for Otto, I know that 'death-grip' and look in the eyes very well. He will eventually forgive you, if not already. : )
Thanks John, I haven't had a dog for a few years, but my longtime friend now brings Otto on all his hikes. It's nice to see the dog enjoying the long walks Sometimes we feel bad about the scrambly bits, but I think the forest smells and ponds make up for it. And I'm quite pleased by his good behaviour off leash (I have high standards having had a pretty well trained dog in the past)!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 03:26 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
pic with approximate ecarter1 route:
Thanks! I hope it's not as bad as it looks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
It would be incredible to develop (or at least identify) a safe route up to the high point of Goat Ridge. It is such a short distance away from Skyline Ridge!
Sounds like a great location for a suspension bridge!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 06:17 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by guntis View Post
Thanks John, I haven't had a dog for a few years, but my longtime friend now brings Otto on all his hikes. It's nice to see the dog enjoying the long walks Sometimes we feel bad about the scrambly bits, but I think the forest smells and ponds make up for it.
You bet. You think your dogs are happy with city parks, off-leash parks and beaches until you see them up in the hills. Keep including him in the trip pictures. Black dogs, in general, have a hard time being noticed, but I have noticed and always enjoy seeing a dog at his/her best. : )
post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2016, 10:34 PM
Hittin' the Trails

There is a route up to Goat ridge from the col between Goat and Copilot. By that I mean there is a flagged route that is maybe less steep than the one shown in the pictures here. It starts at the low point. Just head south down small draw from the col and you will pick up the red flagging. The route traverses around the south side of Goat ridge and then drops briefly into a rocky basin and crosses a gully. That section is a little rough. It then ascends along forested ledges and eventually heads up rock slabs to the crest of the ridge. The route has some class 3 in the rocky section but if you pick your way it is not very exposed. A few friends and I put it up earlier this year. It would be great to see it get some use, and it makes for a nice loop along logging roads back to the Seatosky gondola.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2016, 12:15 AM
Summit Master

So that route tops out somewhere to the right on pic below?

Do you think you could draw approximate line on some online map? From the sound of description above looks a bit roundabout, compared to direct ecarter1 route.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page