ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/)
-   -   Plan B: Tricouni Lake & Area (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/76457-plan-b-tricouni-lake-area.html)

TimeToGoHiking 09-23-2016 09:16 PM

Plan B: Tricouni Lake & Area

14 Attachment(s)
Well since I got my 4x4 the adventures have been opening up for me and my friends. Three of us had planned to go up to Blanca lake & peak overnight however the road was washout out ahead of us at 19 KM also known as Mud Creek which I am told is a popular spot to wash out. We had heard about a washout on Sunday but was not sure where it was, never the less we found it ;) There was also no signs on the road saying that it was washed out until you reached it. You could see the vehicles lined up on the other side of the washout that were stuck there.

So plan B, Tricouni lake & area here we come and we were not disappointed :) The first time I was up in that area it had low cloud cover so we did not explore as much as what we could have. This time we camped overnight in the parking lot and in the morning after we shook off all the frost we had beautiful sunshine the whole day.

This trail though wins the muddiest trail contest in the lower mainland. Once you get through it though you know it was well worth the effort. Though my feet did not get wet, we all agreed that we will bring our rubber boots and wear them until we get to the lakes ;)

Just a note for anyone going up there, once you reach the sort of bush swamp area, if you want to stay on the trail head west through all of this or you can do what we did, we went up and over to the right through the trees. On the other side of the hill we down along the big rock slide. It was a bit more work but we saved a lot of mud slinging. In the swampy area, there was a number of different routes that people were taking to get around the wet areas and we decided to do our own thing.

We explored 6 or 7 lakes up there as well as a number of duck ponds or rock ponds as my friend calls them. There is soo much up there that we hope to get back up there before winter sets in or head up next spring / summer. We will camp up at the lakes this time and explore even further and also allow ourselves 2 or 3 days to explore. We did not have time to summit any of the peaks though we did stick our heads up and over a few hills for some looks at the mountains in the distance.

Enjoy the pictures as I think they speak for themselves as to how nice it is up there. (hopefully I have attached them right, this is my first upload)

KARVITK 09-23-2016 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking (Post 751169)

So plan B, Tricouni lake & area here we come and we were not disappointed :) The first time I was up in that area it had low cloud cover so we did not explore as much as what we could have. This time we camped overnight in the parking lot and in the morning after we shook off all the frost we had beautiful sunshine the whole day.

Enjoy the pictures as I think they speak for themselves as to how nice it is up there. (hopefully I have attached them right, this is my first upload)

Well done. Enjoyed your report and your pictures. Have not done this area yet, but it is on my list.

K

Arnold 09-26-2016 02:23 PM

The washout in the pic seems to be perfectly drivable in a 4x4. But of course, if you drive a Subaru or another wanna be 4x4...

Dru 09-26-2016 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arnold (Post 751553)
The washout in the pic seems to be perfectly drivable in a 4x4. But of course, if you drive a Subaru or another wanna be 4x4...

Except that the material next to the creek is basically quicksand for a couple days after the debris flow happens. I almost bit it there in 1993. Went in up to my waist, had to lie down on top of it and swim/crawl/slide to get out. I hate to think what would happen if you drove a vehicle out on it while it was still semi-liquid.

susied 09-27-2016 12:46 PM

Great to see some pictures of one of my very favourite places. Thanks for the TR.