3 of a Kind - 'Checkered Mouse' Lake 03.09.16 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

3Likes
  • 3 Post By thecamel

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:05 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default 3 of a Kind - 'Checkered Mouse' Lake 03.09.16

As is usually the case, I tend to overthink the things that don't need thinking and underthink just about everything else. So when it came to pondering the logistics of doing an overnighter somewhere with both boys (just turned 4 and 6) I was downright scared. Not scared of packing 3 of everything, heck we could have gone lighter. Did we really need 2 fishing rods? Did we really need a water filter? Did they really need their pillows and stuffies? Did we each need a headlamp? Did I need to eat on day 2? No, I was scared of the intangibles. What if the parking lot was full and we had to walk an extra km on each end? What if August suddenly gets diarrhea right before bed? What if Isaac gets the stomach flu? What if, what if, what if....

When its a 2 vs 2 game its a different story. I tend not to be too overly concerned about much. Even car camping solo doesn't bother me. But for some reason I was having trouble overcoming this mental hurdle. In the end, I decided to face my fears.

I was concerned about the hordes on a long weekend but we got a spot in the lot just after 12. A good start.

Isaac pretty pumped for the trip. Only mildly disappointed that his younger brother is coming.

Let me pre-empt this by saying, I love my kids. And at times I really enjoy the fact that they are so social. This was not one of those times. When you are packing close to 60 pounds on your pack you don't really want to stop every 10 steps to chat with a fellow hiker. It wasn't so bad on the way in (less people) but on the way out we must have stopped about 50 times.

Isaac "Are you going camping?"

August "Hi, my name is August, what's your name?"

Different approaches.

The way I see it, patience is my job...an unpaying yet eternally rewarding job.

Took us about 1 and 3/4 hours to get to our site at the lakeside. I pretty much grabbed the first one we came across, but there were several really nice ones about 2 minutes down the trail. The boys got right down to business and into their swim shorts.

Luckily it didn't truly start raining til after dinner when we finally got the rods out. No luck this time. I've been fishing with the boys about 5 times this summer. This was the first time a fish was not caught.

It got fairly chilly at night and sleep was not to be had for me. You see if I get woken up anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes after I fall asleep, I usually have a restless night. I was just dozing off when I feel little hands jiggling my face.

August: "Dad, you're a good Dad."

Me: "Thanks, buddy"

August: "You have nice clothes. I'll never kill you."

While unnerving, I was undaunted because he says stuff like this all the time. Real deadpan like. He should have his own youtube channel.

We awoke to a beautiful morning. Lounged. Walked down the lake a ways. Took a quick dip (extremely quick). Offered some first aid to an injured runner. And slowly packed up.

The strut out took us about 2 hours. The boys sure made a lot of friends though. Now that I've done this with both boys, I know it won't be long til it happens again. In fact, they're already planning next years trip to Cheakamus with mom and Grandma.

Loved the hike, but good to be back at the car too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7295.jpg
Views:	2481
Size:	444.5 KB
ID:	173754  

Attached Images

Spunky, Redbeard and sixer like this.

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

https://vimeo.com/181570899

A link to a short clip of where "Checkered Mouse" comes from.

My hiking career: a selfish pursuit or a pursuit of self?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 06:45 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, climbing, snowboarding, Tea

You give me hope that I'll still be able to backpack in the future with my family! My wife and I took our then 8 month old daughter to the singing creek campsite further along the trail. I front carry kiddo, 80L pack on the back. Problem arises when our daughter doesn't want to sleep in a tent between us. Tried backpacking like that twice and can't figure out the sleep situation (to atleast get any). I see there is hope in the future when that will be sorted out... and the kids can walk themselves will be a bonus.

- Justin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 11:15 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Best TR ever.

You give me hope that the impending change in my life doesn't mean an end to trips in the backcountry... particularly when outnumbered! Also, I usually sleep pretty terribly when I'm camping anyway, so having a 4-year-old wake me up to tell me I'm a good dad and that he won't kill me will definitely be an improvement over my normal camping nights.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 07:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Great report! Funny, I also noticed that you have nice clothes, particularly bandanas, so I guess that confirms that you are pretty safe from an untimely death!

I don't sleep well on backpacking trips either, but my kids sure do...no weight of responsibility for them yet, I guess.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 11:47 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I changed the sequence of one sentence...

Quote:
I was just dozing off when I feel little hands jiggling my face.

August: "Dad, you're a good Dad."

Me: "Thanks, buddy"

August: "You have nice clothes. I'll never kill you."

I usually have a restless night.
Still laughing

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page