• 1 Post By kore
  • 2 Post By Lenagen
  • 4 Post By Wandering Tree Frog

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?
Default Castle Towers

There are many different styles of trip reports here, some have more detail than you'll find in a guidebook, others are mostly pictures. I prefer to write a story, and that's what you'll find here. If your not interested in what I have to say, just stop right here. Also still editing to do but out of time for now.

Castle Towers August 30, 2016

Do we choose the mountains or do they choose us? I think the later obvious on my attempt on Castle Towers this Tuesday. Without any logical connection, Castle Towers has been the source of turbulence in my life the last month. It would take too much, I'd be asking the reader to suffer far too long a story to explain all, but when I saw the forecast, snow starting to hit the higher peaks Wednesday, shutting down another all too short swbc scrambling season. I knew I needed one more peak to close out my season, Wednesday the window starts to close, Tuesday will be my day. I tossed a few ideas off some partners, but when Castle Towers called me, I knew I must go and I knew I had to go alone.

I secured a place on my buddy Jer's couch in Whistler for Monday night. He's a great friend, partner in many adventures, he joined me for the start of my journey, drove me to the trail as my work truck was too laden to be safely left there. We walked and talked, I was glad for the company, and he gives great advice. All too soon his responsibilities called him back, we parted just before Helm campground.

1 1/2 hours after starting, I had second breakfast on a tent platform in Helm campground. It was a relaxed sit down affair. A brief chat with a man from Ontario, who had bad blisters on both feet. I must have seemed strange to him, he noticed my ice axe and inquired, where I could possibly be headed this early? I named my goal and made small talk while I filled with water and calories.

I left established trail a bit above the campground, and headed for the ridge I'd used years ago to access Helm peak. That miserable pile of untrustworthy rock still leads to bad memories. A vague idea of the direction I needed to go, plus a gps locked on Gentian pass, my route appeared before me. I sidehilled, and traversed, making good time. A few icy snow patches, tried to slow my progress, but careful footwork, or crampons on one, and soon I was at the top of the glacier above Gentian pass.

My first views of Castle Towers, helped stock my energy. But looking at the drop below me, down to Gentian pass and back up Polemonium ridge, stole that energy back away. So steep it was, I slipped and fell at one point, sliding down the vegetation. I reached the bottom, and celebrated with another meal. But secretly wishing there was an easier way back.

With grand views I headed up Polemonium ridge, now with Castle Towers in sight. It's open country out here, and many routes are possible. Cresting the top of Polemonium, I see towers on the ridge below. I'm sure there's a way to bypass, but I just went over them. I might have done some fifth class, but if you ask i'd just say forth.

Now starting on the Castle, I start to see some cairns. Always in the gullies, people want to go. I kept to the ridge line, I find it much more enjoyable. Then I hit the talus, and straighlined towards the summit. A band of snow, still icy in the morning, had me take a pause. It was steep enough for crampons, I was glad I brought my pair. The transitions take up time, but I prefer the safety. Back on talus, I watch the elevation climb on my altimeter.

I hit the top of the east peak, and down the other side. The gulley is straightforward, but steep enough to require focus. I cross the col and up the other side, a block below the summit required commitment to surpass. I stick the move and soon finish, the summit had been close. A break on top with cell service, I could update some friends. I hung out on the summit for a while, photos, food, and facebook were done. Then I turned around, the summit is only the halfway point.

One move below the summit gave me pause, exposure and a small hold for my foot. I had to pull on my big boy panties, but stick it I did. Then a long walk back over Polemonium ridge, this time traversing around the towers. I stopped again in Gentian pass, for water and fuel, the climb back up looked miserable, but it had to be done. I hoped an hour is all it would take but was happy to do it in half. Energy, I still had, would it last all day?

I took a look at the glacier, but decided to traverse back on my right. I passed some landmarks from the morning, and the gps showed I was doing alright. I climbed a little higher and found a trail back down. Through the meadows above the campground, with Black Tusk in view. From here, I made the call, set up my pickup time. Jer had a meeting, so I couldn't dawdle, or I'd be walking back to town.

I hit the trail and shifted gears, even doing some running. I passed Helm campground, watching the clock, would I make it? After 12 hours on trail I wasn't tired, but I knew it would come soon. I chased salvation that only comes after hard effort. I turned off the brain, my mind disappeared, I started going primal. I pushed so hard with an empty tank, my reserves were tapped. I don't know why, but several times, I let out grunts and calls. No words were left, just a focus and a connection to the world.

When I crossed, cheakamus bridge, I knew I was close. That last flat km took a while, but I pushed hard. I ran and ran, looking for what I don't know. When I saw Jer waiting for me, I knew it was over. I broke the bond with the mountains, as I stopped by his car. His offer of water was greatly appreciated. I stopped the clock at hour 13. I still don't know the answer to my initial question. I had gone to the mountain with heavy thoughts on my mind, but in the end found the quiet place I needed.

Jason.

--I think I'm done with the story now, just sorting out the pictures but that will require computer time that I don't have yet. --

The short:
Castle towers done on Tuesday
13 hours car to car
Conditions were good, but they wont be anymore as there is snow in the forecast for today.
Great peak, go do it!

Jason
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1578.JPG
Views:	201
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	172970  

Name:	IMG_1575.JPG
Views:	1519
Size:	744.9 KB
ID:	172978  

Name:	IMG_1581.JPG
Views:	182
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	172986  

Name:	IMG_1584.JPG
Views:	524
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	172994  

Name:	IMG_1589.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	173002  

Name:	IMG_1594.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	173010  

Name:	IMG_1596.JPG
Views:	571
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	173018  

Name:	IMG_1589.png
Views:	508
Size:	4.03 MB
ID:	174130  

Name:	IMG_1599.JPG
Views:	64
Size:	960.2 KB
ID:	174138  

Dru, Masiar and Lenagen like this.

Last edited by Wandering Tree Frog; 09-07-2016 at 09:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Well done Jason.

Castle Towers strikes me as one of those great peaks I think beyond my reach in a day hike....but then If I budget 16 hours, might be able to do that.

In regards to photo uploading; I always rotate my photos prior to uploading so portrait orientated shots stay upright.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 11:08 AM
Scaling New Heights

really enjoying your TR and pics (plus anyone that wears Mountain Hardwear is way cool ).
please do not delete!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 01:14 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I, at least, appreciate trip reports that are more than a single sentence of text with whatever the maximum number of photographs one is allowed to insert vomited up onscreen to accompany said sentence, and am grateful for the extra effort involved.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Tree Frog View Post

Do we choose the mountains or do they choose us?
Even though I'm wearing a shirt that says "Mountains Speak, Wise Men Listen," I know this question is ridiculous.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing

Wow, to do Castle Towers (36 km, 2600 elevation gain, 3000-4000 cumulative elevation gain) in just 13 hours is truly amazing. Castle Towers is in my bucket list but likely as an overnight trip and I guess this will have to wait till next summer, as it is snowing in Garibaldi mountains above 2000 m right now. We had planned a long hike in Garibaldi park for this long weekend which now has to be canceled. :-(

Last edited by Lenagen; 09-01-2016 at 02:30 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 03:02 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenagen View Post
Wow, to do Castle Towers (36 km, 2600 elevation gain, 3000-4000 cumulative elevation gain) in just 13 hours is truly amazing. Castle Towers is in my bucket list but likely as an overnight trip and I guess this will have to wait till next summer, as it is snowing in Garibaldi mountains above 2000 m right now. We had planned a long hike in Garibaldi park for this long weekend which now has to be canceled. :-(

SNOWING ? Someone blow the snow away. lots of hike planned for this month.... hope to get to Wedgemount Glacier this Monday.

Karl

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 06:26 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
SNOWING ? Someone blow the snow away. lots of hike planned for this month.... hope to get to Wedgemount Glacier this Monday.

Karl
It is only snowing at elevation of >= 2000 m, e.g. at the top of Castle Towers etc:
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/2676
http://www.yr.no/place/Canada/Britis...tain/long.html

It will snow at Wedgemount at an elevation of 2000 m as well tonight.
http://www.mountain-forecast.com/pea...forecasts/2000
There are some contradictory weather forecasts for this long weekend, so we still hope to do a one day hike somewhere where it won't snow or rain if we are lucky... This early snow higher up in the mountains is such a bummer. :-(

Last edited by Lenagen; 09-01-2016 at 06:33 PM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Welcome to the club, glad you put up a TR on this trip! That's a long one to do by yourself and least you made it to the true summit which is always nice!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 02:57 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

Well you kicked my ass on the ascent time, WELL DONE And what, no shinning mountain mementos to show off? The color from mine is gone but the discoloration from the scab persists.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-06-2016, 03:23 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Damn! thats fast. Nice work!
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

The story is pretty much done now, I might make a few small edits. The pictures, well to say I hate the photo upload process here would be true.

Wow, nearly 700 views, I thought my initial statement would scare most off.

Thanks for the positive comments everyone. Makes the effort worthwhile even though the trip report was written for myself.

For those who focused on my time, really not what this trip was about. I'm sure I could have shaved about 2 hours off if I was strictly going for speed, but that would still be a long way from the guy who did castle towers in 7 hours return this year. That's insane speed, I'm too far past my prime years for such folly.

I write to inspire. Whether you do Castle Towers in 3 hours or 3 days, just get out there and do your trip. Then post it so I can read it too.

Jason.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page