4Likes
  • 1 Post By John and Katie
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 2 Post By John and Katie

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default 'Delusion' Peak attempt: Aug. 28, 2016

The gate accessing Center Creek FSR is still open and the 2wdr still handled the road up to the new gate (which was closed) at the Illusion spur around 800m. Parked and headed up. Not drivable, but someone has recently cleared and marked the old road to the turn at 1000m. While the old road makes a sharp right turn, the recently cleared trail continues straight up to the west. I'm guessing an alternate climbers route to Rexford. We continued on up that thinking it just might be a trail to Delusion, but it turned south under the slabs, so we turned around and headed back to the junction at 1000m.

From there, the old road was bushy, but not too bad. Some deep creek gully crossings. It got worse, though, and we eventually left it around 1050m. From here, the forest wasn't too bushy or rough, and the trees were well spaced.

'Disillusion' Peak

Around 1260m we came across the old road again. Followed it for a bit, but no way we were travelling that, so we headed into the forest again. This time it was a fairly new second growth which was very bushy and the trees were packed tightly together. Not easy travel.

Fought our way up to meet up with the old road again at 1400m, looked up and saw more bushy and densely treed second growth and it took the wind out of my sails. I was really hoping things were going to start opening up by then. Sat down to eat and contemplate, and heard voices in the forest just south of us....must have been taking the smarter way up.

Not knowing how the remaining 400+ meters up were going to go, and not knowing how the descent was going to go, we decided to play it safe and turn around. Came across this in the thick trees on descent. Someone tried to put in a trail at one time.

The descent wasn't too bad and we were back at the car in 2 hours. Perhaps with these baby-steps and an earlier start, we will make it next time.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	delusion attempt 002 (1024x684).jpg
Views:	2994
Size:	753.9 KB
ID:	171594  

Name:	delusion attempt 003 (684x1024).jpg
Views:	581
Size:	788.5 KB
ID:	171602  

Name:	delusion attempt 006 (684x1024).jpg
Views:	576
Size:	629.8 KB
ID:	171610  

Name:	delusion attempt 008 (1024x684).jpg
Views:	580
Size:	561.3 KB
ID:	171618  

Name:	delusion attempt 009 (1024x684).jpg
Views:	612
Size:	686.2 KB
ID:	171626  

Name:	delusion attempt 011 (1024x684).jpg
Views:	597
Size:	528.4 KB
ID:	171634  

Cousin Herb likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2016, 10:35 PM
Summit Master

This is my fav. shot of Katie, maybe ever; crop bottom 20% of the frame, ie:

Attached Images

sixer likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2016, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks. It's either a "It's this way, I tell ya!" or a "Are you coming, or what!". It's not too often she is turned facing me while hiking. : )
sixer and Cousin Herb like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2016, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I often thought of heading up there also; after snowshoeing a distance in late winter early spring one time.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 04:38 PM
Summit Master

Had this strong "J&K" moment yesterday; went for a quick hike to nearby fire lookout. Custodian was up with her dog. He was barking at first, when I offered to share my snack we became friends fast Just as soon as food bag went back to the pack, he lost all interest and went back to beating the stick. Really thought of you 2 John

[Where's that food??]

[You are not interesting anymore]
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	dog1.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	1.82 MB
ID:	173042  

Name:	dog2.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	1.97 MB
ID:	173050  

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Some dogs just aren't the bubbly, in-your-face, 'I love everyone' lab. retriever type. Yes, best to have food in your hand if you want Katie's attention. Otherwise, she is too busy with her nose and walks right on by. : )
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

Too bad the access to the alpine there is so tough, it would probably make for a decent scramble.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Yes, that stretch from 1000m to 1400m is very short in distance, but took awhile to get through. My shins have seen much worse, but the forearms were rubbed and scratched raw through that stuff. Be a great place for your trailbuilding skills to be put to good use. : )

I have no illusions that Katie will be able to summit, but even just making and travelling the ridge would offer some spectacular terrain and views.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 12:09 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

I'm actually thinking it could be a good one for hiking dogs and an easy scramble. The other reports I've seen involve deep snow, so it would be interesting to see how the conditions are at this time of year.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkaholic View Post
I'm actually thinking it could be a good one for hiking dogs and an easy scramble. The other reports I've seen involve deep snow, so it would be interesting to see how the conditions are at this time of year.
Hope so. I'll be sure to have a denim long-sleeve along. Was that you parked beside us at the post creek lot yesterday? We did a Flora Peak circuit.... up the west ridge and down the SE trail. Loved it. : )
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Seems like Katie is always exploring and looking back to make sure you are still working your way up the trail.

Great to have such an adventurous and enthusiastic companion like her.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks Karl. We made it up to Delusion today. Found a narrow strip of old growth following a creek (not flowing right now) when we hit the old road at 1420m. I don't know how we missed it two weekends back. Cut-blocks on either side of it. Treed a mom and cub, two wasp nests (stung twice), cracked a rib, one butt boost for Katie and we found ourselves on Delusion Peak. A great hike above 1420m. : )

I'm having problems with CT"s drag/drop feature the last couple of weeks, so no pictures. I'll have them up on Flickr within the week, however.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Katie View Post
Thanks Karl. We made it up to Delusion today. Found a narrow strip of old growth following a creek (not flowing right now) when we hit the old road at 1420m. I don't know how we missed it two weekends back. Cut-blocks on either side of it. Treed a mom and cub, two wasp nests (stung twice), cracked a rib, one butt boost for Katie and we found ourselves on Delusion Peak. A great hike above 1420m. : )

I'm having problems with CT"s drag/drop feature the last couple of weeks, so no pictures. I'll have them up on Flickr within the week, however.
Wow sounds like a serious adventure, cracked rib ouch ? And wasp strings to top it off.

for photos I use "Manage Downloads" which appears at the lower left hand corner when I write a new trip report. This is the way I go....

K

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 12:44 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Oh boy, a whole new area to explore. I can't keep up with all the interesting places, and I hike pretty regularly!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page