Watersprite Lake, Martin Peak, and Gibson Peak - Aug. 13, 2016 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

16Likes
  • 4 Post By Redbeard
  • 2 Post By Redbeard
  • 1 Post By danielj
  • 3 Post By junglesavage
  • 6 Post By junglesavage

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default Watersprite Lake, Martin Peak, and Gibson Peak - Aug. 13, 2016

I've deleted all my content. I can't accept Vertical Scope's (the site owner) terms of service and can't stand their use of advertising, particularly the viglink service which inserts links into my posts without my permission. I'm sad to leave the CT community and thank all of those who have contributed over the years.
martin, guntis, Kanike and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Redbeard; 12-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I've deleted all my content. I can't accept Vertical Scope's (the site owner) terms of service and can't stand their use of advertising, particularly the viglink service which inserts links into my posts without my permission. I'm sad to leave the CT community and thank all of those who have contributed over the years.
guntis and Spectrum like this.

Last edited by Redbeard; 12-04-2017 at 11:51 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 05:23 PM
High on the Mountain Top

This spot is a hit on Instagram, could explain the parking lot LOL! Either way I'm sold on the location and will be trying to wander around up there following in your footsteps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:37 PM
Summit Master

Interest: 10%

Good trip. When the BCMC get that cabin built it's going to get even more busy but hopefully people behave there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 09:57 PM
adm
Scaling New Heights

Wow! Insane amount of people. Glad I got in there last year. Dropped some summit registors and left my email because I was curious who else got there! Never did get an email though! Lets hope not everyone finds Martin Lake
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:58 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: mountains

Nice photos! That's one of my favourite areas! Definitely started to get a lot more busy at some point last summer.

Watersprite tower is a tricky one! I climbed it a few weeks ago on my way back from Cotard Peak (a great trip). I also got turned back at your yellow X, it's a difficult down-climb. But I looked around a bit more and discovered it's actually possible to access the notch by sneaking down through krumholtz, just a bit before your yellow line ends. It's steep and not very aesthetic but it gets you into the notch somewhat easily. I've also looked at the red route - looks like it would go. From the notch up it's not easy though, some wicked exposed spots, particularly the summit itself!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP9255.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	738.3 KB
ID:	167178  

Redbeard likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 01:30 AM
Banned

That's a lot of cars. There were about 5 cars when I did it on a weekend. Had the lake all to myself too, later in the day.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default New Watersprite Lake Trail

Just so everyone is aware, the BCMC (and myself) have been working rather relentlessly now for the past two years to built the New Watersprite Lake Trail, which is nearly complete. We will be closing the old trail which this trip utilizes soon.
Unlike the old trail which travels through soft environmentally sensitive swampy areas, the new trail remains mostly on old logging roads, and has much better views.
The old trail is a little over 7 KM, whereas the new trail is 8.5 KM but more gradual and scenic. The trailhead for the new trail is different (4.5 KM further East at the Skookum IP Water Intake Dam).
The first 6 KM are very luxurious. The new parking area is also massive.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2016, 09:07 PM
Hittin' the Trails

How soon are you talking? Before the end of the month?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:57 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default New Watersprite Lake Trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattonka View Post
How soon are you talking? Before the end of the month?
We are working as hard as we can as there is considerable urgency for us to decommission the old trail due to the environmental impacts of heavy foot traffic on the old route. A BCMC crew is planning to work this Wednesday to remove deadfall at the final KM of trail with chainsaws. The new trail is fully marked and useable from beginning to end, but rough in the last 1.5 KM. We have some remaining tasks still to perform:

1) The installation of footbridges across minor creeks (currently passible even by a 10 year old). This will be our last task, performed this September.
2) Improved drainage work in two areas on the old logging road system
3) Grubbing of the final 500 meters of road at the 7 KM mark
4) Removal of the remaining deadfall in the rock slide after the end of the logging road and improved marking of the trail.
5) Improving the crossing of Watersprite Creek at the 8 KM mark (although the crossing is easy in low run-off conditions).
6) Some minor brush clearing at the 1 KM mark

When the new trail is officially opened (with a full trail kiosk and orange aluminum signage), and the old trail is to be decomissioned, I will make a formal announcement on this website and others. Since the new trail is an official section 57 trail, I will add the trail to this website (and others) in the list of formal sea-to-sky trails.

The new trail features a 3 KM stretch of old logging road that features continuous wide open views of all the major icefields and peaks in the area. Because we know this new trail will be extremely popular (Parks grade with views to rival the Elfin Lakes Trail), we need to take the time to design the trail to accommodate the large numbers of hikers expected to use the new trail in the years ahead.

This is why I cannot state a specific date for the official opening yet. Being that the new cabin is already under construction, it will not be long.

I certainly would welcome anyone on clubtread who would like to join my trail building crew and learn the ins and outs of trail-building to contact me through this website, or contact the BCMC.
martin, guntis, Spectrum and 3 others like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page