Cheakamus Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Cheakamus Lake

I asked back in march where to go with a 5 year old and everyone recommended Cheakamus. We did it this past weekend. I took friday (Aug 12th) off and we spent the day and night at the lake and hiked out before noon on saturday.

This is a perfect first overnight hike with some caveats. My son was at the "are we there stage" by about 45 minutes, so 1 hour trip time is perfect. I also didn't expect the lake itself to be as warm as it was. I expected it to be freezing but it was quite comfortable. Enough to spend an hour sitting on a rock with my feet in the water.

The campsites are not marked at all. The parks website makes it sound (as they ought to, I guess) that camping is prohibited outside of designated zones but I simply couldn't find the site. I expected something like Taylor meadows I guess.

I was unprepared to how busy the area is. Since it's within a 10 minute drive of whistler village there simply tons and tons of people. When we arrived on friday the parking lot was full. On saturday morning it was way beyond full, cars were parked on both side of the road for a half K out of the parking lot.

Overall, it's appropriate for a 5 year old (gentle undulating trail with no elevation gain), with a nice lake in the background. Very busy though.

Setting off

Saturday morning

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, camping, climbing, snowboarding, Tea

Did you camp at the near campsite, or the farther one? Any problems finding a place to pitch your tent? Looks like a great way to get started! Thanks for the info.

- Justin
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Thanks, looking to do this as well with my boys. I assume you used the 3km camp? Did anyone come see if you had a proper reservation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 04:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Skiing,Backpacking,Searching For/Exploring old Ghost Towns & Mines, Prospecting,Fishing,4Wheeling

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamel View Post
Thanks, looking to do this as well with my boys. I assume you used the 3km camp? Did anyone come see if you had a proper reservation?
I did this trip about 2 weeks ago and the parks guys were checking reservations as well as issuing fines for those having camp fires. We hiked all the way in to Singing Creek at the end of the maintained trail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 03:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Whistler been crazy busy this summer. Don't expect solitude anywhere here until kids go back to school.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page