Face Mountain Aug 11 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?
Default Face Mountain Aug 11

In a departure from my regular style trip reports, which can be a little wordy, I'm going to try something different and gauge the feedback. This might appeal more to the add people out there looking for an easy read

On Thursday, Annie and I drove up the Hurley road to railroad pass. The road was very bumpy.

We parked and got our packs and hiked up to Semaphore Lakes and camped

We could see Locomotive and Face mountain from camp

Then we hiked up towards Locomotive Mountain but Annie fell on a loose rock and twisted her ankle. She said some bad words.

We went to sleep in the tent by the lake. There was a bazillion stars in the sky at night. Annie saw some shooting stars.

I woke up early and hiked to the top of Face Mountain. The gully had many loose rocks in it. I wish I had a helmet.

Soon I was standing on top of Face Mountain

Then I hiked down and we went home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4007.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	163682  

Name:	DSCF4006.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	163690  

Name:	DSCF4005.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	163698  

Name:	DSCF4004.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	163706  

Name:	DSCF4003.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	163714  

Name:	DSCF4002.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	163722  

Name:	DSCF4001.jpg
Views:	1906
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	163730  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:24 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

LOL, this made my morning! Nicely done.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Ha ha...forget the camera? This captured my kids attention more than any other TR they've looked at this summer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecamel View Post
Ha ha...forget the camera? This captured my kids attention more than any other TR they've looked at this summer.
No, I had my camera, got a few good pictures. Also came up with a few dramatic lines to craft a trip report with. I'm just not interested in writing "standard CT trip reports". Face was my fifth peak in a week. I didn't write reports for the other two trips as some of my reports don't generate any comments. As those of you who write reports know, it takes time and effort to write a report. This was simply an experiment. Just having a little fun trying to put a smile on people's faces.

Maybe people will read this and come up with their own unique way to tell their story. I'd like to see CT with more active users.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-14-2016, 12:50 PM
High on the Mountain Top

That's what I call adding some character to your pictures. I really enjoy TR's that don't take things so seriously...thanks. : )
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:38 AM
High on the Mountain Top

So do you do TR's for the comments? I know they take abit of time to do up, but even if you don't get comments, you can see quite a few people have viewed it. Sometimes it's hard to comment on a TR aside from the usual , nice pics, good job. Anyways the way I see it, by doing a TR it still gives people an idea of snowline, or if a 2wd civic can make it to the trailhead or how bushy, or how buggy or the route up a certain area etc etc.
Irkutianin and Redbeard like this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
So do you do TR's for the comments? I know they take abit of time to do up, but even if you don't get comments, you can see quite a few people have viewed it. Sometimes it's hard to comment on a TR aside from the usual , nice pics, good job. Anyways the way I see it, by doing a TR it still gives people an idea of snowline, or if a 2wd civic can make it to the trailhead or how bushy, or how buggy or the route up a certain area etc etc.
Do I do tr's for the comments? Yes and no. If I just wanted a record of my trips, I could write a personal journal and not share publicly. I post publicly to share conditions, and hopefully provide a bit of entertainment for the other users. there is a range of tr styles here, I read almost all of them but I'm guilty of not wanting to reply with just the standard nice pics, good job. The "new" like button kinda takes care of that.

I've been a ct user much longer than I've been posting. I don't comment on every post but I try and give support every few posts for those that put the effort in. The volume of posts feels like it's taken a hit since the new owners took over, and I think we have a valuable resource here, I don't want to see it die off.

And spectrum, you must have hundreds of tr's on here, I've gotten beta from many of them. So thank you for your contribution.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 03:12 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Nice one. How bad was the gully? I looked at it a few years ago and it seemed rather unappealing.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 04:46 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I haven't been able to read much CT lately as I've been busy baby wrangling- how fitting then to sneak a nap-time CT read and see your all ages friendly drawings first thing

Your Locomotive and Face are excellent. Next time I see those mountains in person I will picture them that way.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-15-2016, 06:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Send a message via MSN to Masiar

You know I LOVE this Get's my thumbs up for creativity. Sorry to hear poor Annie twisted her ankle Was it too bad or is she walking now?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steventy View Post
Nice one. How bad was the gully? I looked at it a few years ago and it seemed rather unappealing.
I looked at it last year and turned back. This time I was mentally ready to commit to it. In the end it wasn't that bad, but I'd definitely wear a helmet. Maybe I've done too many Matt Gunn scrambles now and I'm getting used to the loose.

I was thinking when I saw cairns in the gulley "oh look, someone else has been here, someone else has the ability to turn off the part of their brain that prevents them from doing stupid, dangerous things". But after getting through I thought that was a little too dramatic.

The traverse around to locomotive looks like the best route there. Then you'd only be in the gulley once.
Steventy likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2016, 11:54 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: hiking, climbing, travel, skiing

lol, I can personally relate to the "fell on the rocks and twisted her ankle" part, alas.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Wandering Tree Frog

Keep up the trip reports they are noticed and read. We were up at Semaphore lakes for an overnighter on the july long weekend. Got fairly busy. Lots of tents peppered over the landscape.
Was going to do locomotive but my partner came down with a bad cold overnight. Had to pack out the next day. I have Matt Gunns book and want to try the scramble(locomotive). But looking at his route on paper and actually applying it to real world is another story(to me anyways). Is it difficult to duplicate his route up?

Last edited by Crash; 08-18-2016 at 11:18 AM.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 11:50 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Wandering Tree Frog

I have Matt Gunns book and want to try the scramble(locomotive). But looking at his route on paper and actually applying it to real world is another story(to me anyways). Is it difficult to duplicate his route up?
Is it difficult to duplicate his route. A complex question. From the sounds of it, I'm getting that your not yet very experienced in scrambling?

The route up locomotive is fairly well marked with cairns, and once on the ridge is easy to follow. There was one spot on the way to the ridge where you have to cross a rock band with a bit of exposure that some beginners might have trouble with. Best advice for the new scramblers, take things easy, be prepared to turn around if you get in over your head. Or even stop on the route, take a break and talk yourself through a difficult section. But make sure you never climb up something you can't climb back down. You can always come back for another attempt. I've had peaks take as long as 15 years between first try and success.

But for me, with about 25 years of scrambling and climbing experience and about 200 scramble peaks between Matt Gunn's book, the Alan Kane book and peaks in Washington, something like locomotive is very easy. But all the good scramblers you see on this site started somewhere, I'm sure every one of us has turned around when lost, scared, bad weather coming in, route not in good condition or just having a bad day.

Locomotive is one of my favourite scrambles in the Matt Gunn book, and I've done a lot of the trips. And the camping at the lakes is great too. Have fun out there, stay safe and post a report when you get it done, or even if you don't.
guntis, Steventy, treord8 and 1 others like this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 12:26 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Is there any snow on the route? Would we need ice axes, crampons? We're heading there for the weekend with 2 teenagers in tow.
Thanks,
Youliana

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page