ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/)
-   -   Mt Lake Hut (https://forums.clubtread.com/27-british-columbia/74306-mt-lake-hut.html)

theelasticman 08-04-2016 11:57 PM

Mt Lake Hut

13 Attachment(s)
Having recently returned back to Canada I was very keen to get back into the Coast Mountains. After doing a few hikes on the North Shore to re-acclimatise to the gradient that is here I headed off to the Mountain Lake area for 3 days just south of Britannia Beach. Zeljkoks https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...-basecamp.html description on how to get up there is very accurate so wont go into that much....I do completely agree that taking a bike up to the Cyrtina creek area is highly recommended for the return...I did thanks to a kind mate lending me theirs. Despite cursing on the way up that I was pushing that bike up with a heavy pack in baking hot conditions I was loving it coming back doing the 10kms in around 40 mins!

The trail just after Cyrtina Spur is sketchy at best....so overgrown you are basically bushwacking through very thick bush with an element of faith that you are on a trail and that the path of least resistance is the best way to go, the flagging was infrequent but when you see one it meant so much!. Skills by watching Mantracker also came in to play! Eventually after a good grunt the trail opens up and things become much easier.

When I got up there the effort was totally worth it, absolutely stunning...and I had the whole place to myself for the three days, blue skies during the day and incredibly starry at night! The hut which is owned and maintained by the BCMC is a fantastic facility, so thanks to them for doing what they do.

I have to admit that the amount of mozzies became an issue towards the end....they were absolutely nuts, never had it so bad as that!

My days were spent exploring the lakes and surroundings, I was surprised how much snow was still around, Wind lake was still a third covered. I also made it up Ben Lomond and also doing some ridges, I did not have the balls to to that tricky move up to the top of Mt Sheer being on my own an' all.

Anyway some pics to tempt those who have not been up there to go and for those who have to go back as I will be for sure.

KARVITK 08-05-2016 02:59 AM

Sounds like a very enjoyable adventure, and really like the two shots with mountain and tarn. They are beauties with that brilliant blue.

K

treord8 08-05-2016 01:16 PM

Great pics and nice report. Looks like a spot worth checking out!

Dru 08-05-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelasticman (Post 737474)
I also made it up Ben Lomond and also doing some ridges, I did not have the balls to to that tricky move up to the top of Mt Sheer being on my own an' all.

I remember the scramble up Mt Sheer as being somewhat easier than Ben Lomond?

John and Katie 08-05-2016 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theelasticman (Post 737474)
I have to admit that the amount of mozzies became an issue towards the end....they were absolutely nuts, never had it so bad as that!

They even made into a picture or two. : )

Looks like an amazingly beautiful area. Picture #11 is outstanding. : )

simonc 08-07-2016 06:03 PM

Too bad easier access is still restricted by the gate but it keeps the riff raff out.

Great trip.

zeljkok 08-07-2016 06:36 PM

Glad you found my report helpful. This is an awesome area & lots of fond memories.

Nice exploratory day can be made by taking ridge trail towards Ledge, bagging Sheer along the way and then also exploring trail that starts somewhere near the Hut and drops to not so often visited Park Lane lake; I had it planned, but lacked energy due to heat/bugfest.

Very nice pics; 10 and 11 in particular.

Spectrum 08-07-2016 08:31 PM

455 Attachment(s)
As Simon said when when the key to the gate was easily accessible that area saw alot of good responsible use quite a few years ago. Too bad those days are gone. I've always enjoyed that area every time I went in there. Good choice!