2Likes
  • 1 Post By xj6response
  • 1 Post By msulkers

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
dbp
Hittin' the Trails

Default Skywalk Trail in Whistler

My wife and I are planning on doing this trail this week sometime.

I found this map online: http://www.whistler.com/pdf/maps/don...-trail-map.pdf

It seems there are a few different options. Anyone have experience on which route is the nicest? I was thinking of parking on mountain view and taking the 19 mile creek trail.

Appreciate any feedback!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:58 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I have not done that trail, and you posted a great map.

If I were doing it, I would take the highest trail up and then return on one of the others heading down. At this time of year, I would expect some snow on the high parts, my guess near 1500 - 1600 meter level.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:41 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

The main intended trailhead is Mountain View. There are small unofficial signs marking the route, which differs a little from the map you've found because of recent changes to avoid private property and some mountain bike trails.

Follow the 19 Mile Creek Trail to the Flank Trail, turn left at the Flank for 30m and then head up Upper 19 Mile Creek to access the Skywalk Trail. There are a few wet spots with the past 1.5 months having had some precipitation, but the trail is generally in good shape. I was on it, working today, and there is another crew on it again tomorrow. Fairly soon we'll be adding another trail to the system, as soon as a few more areas are tidied up.

Fun is where you make it...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:04 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by msulkers View Post
The main intended trailhead is Mountain View. There are small unofficial signs marking the route, which differs a little from the map you've found because of recent changes to avoid private property and some mountain bike trails.

Follow the 19 Mile Creek Trail to the Flank Trail, turn left at the Flank for 30m and then head up Upper 19 Mile Creek to access the Skywalk Trail. There are a few wet spots with the past 1.5 months having had some precipitation, but the trail is generally in good shape. I was on it, working today, and there is another crew on it again tomorrow. Fairly soon we'll be adding another trail to the system, as soon as a few more areas are tidied up.
Last time we headed up there we accessed from Alpine Way. I take that's still ok, other than a tight squeeze for parking? We're hoping to head up there, except that every time we've been in whistler this summer it's been raining :-( ugh.... crap summer.

That said, whislter's efforts in trail building put every other ski community to shame. Excellent work you're doing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainbow_Skywalk_Small008.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	696.2 KB
ID:	158890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rainbow_Skywalk_Small006.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	601.3 KB
ID:	158898  

Hungryhiker likes this.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 12:08 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Exploring the Coast Mountains and surrounding ocean waters in all seasons.

Yes, the Alpine Way parking is fine, as long as you follow the signage. Unless you have a mountain bike, however, it seems the 3.5km stretch of old forest road is less than esthetic. You'll like the new trail, I think, xj6response, that descends from Fault Pass just west of Screaming Cat Lake. It completely avoids the Flank Trail North which is particularly hard on the feet after doing the full circuit. Should be cleared for public use in less than two weeks.

RMOW has really supported our initial presentations of five years ago and stepped up to the plate on hiking/biking trail development in the mountains every year since...glad you are enjoying their development and the hundreds of volunteer days put into building so many of the hiking trails...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
dbp
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:

Thanks for the heads up! Planning on going tomorrow. We're going bright and early so hopefully we'll have time to do the whole skywalk north loop.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 02:30 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
You'll like the new trail, I think, xj6response, that descends from Fault Pass just west of Screaming Cat Lake. It completely avoids the Flank Trail North which is particularly hard on the feet after doing the full circuit. Should be cleared for public use in less than two weeks.

RMOW has really supported our initial presentations of five years ago and stepped up to the plate on hiking/biking trail development in the mountains every year since...glad you are enjoying their development and the hundreds of volunteer days put into building so many of the hiking trails...
great info, thanks much. I've probably directed a 1/2 dozen hikers to the new skywalk trail system. all have loved it. Will try the mountainview trailhead next time.

Another mountain that is stepping up and embracing the bike/hike community is mt Washington over near Comox. We spent three days there last week and for the first time in three years, they have opened up the mountain to hikers/bikers with some improved infrastructure. https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...ashington.html

For hikers it is a delight to hike up to the summit on upgraded trails, enjoy spectacular views and ride down for FREE! For bikers it's only $20.00 for a full day of ride up/bike down. We love winter sports but these mountain resorts are more than just skiing/boarding. Whistler has really proven that.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2016, 10:43 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
You'll like the new trail, I think, xj6response, that descends from Fault Pass just west of Screaming Cat Lake. It completely avoids the Flank Trail North which is particularly hard on the feet after doing the full circuit. Should be cleared for public use in less than two weeks.
Looking forward to trying this one. We have really enjoyed the other trails in the area over the past couple of years. Thanks for your efforts!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2016, 12:19 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default hiking times

Ive read the threads everyone. Thanks for the info. Any idea on what the time would be for a good/fit hiker to head up from mountain view and do the north skywalk loop? Also, no mention of a complete south and north skywalk loop as a desired hike. Is this feasible? For reference my wife and I did panorama ridge and back to the ruble creek parking yesterday. Thanks.

Rob
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Beware of wasps

Beware of wasps this season. Our group got stung in the legs at two locations:
- where there are big yellow signs about the trail crossing a bike path about 20 min up from Mountain View dr
- when the trail reaches the alpine.

It's a good idea to wear long pants.

Otherwise, this is a very pleasant and well-graded trail. Thank you to all the volunteers for building it!
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 08:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob runner View Post
Ive read the threads everyone. Thanks for the info. Any idea on what the time would be for a good/fit hiker to head up from mountain view and do the north skywalk loop? Also, no mention of a complete south and north skywalk loop as a desired hike. Is this feasible? For reference my wife and I did panorama ridge and back to the ruble creek parking yesterday. Thanks.

Rob
All are feasible, but some planning helps flesh out the scenario. Your first loop should be quite comfortable in 5.5 to 7.5 hours of walking for fit hikers, but that again depends on what you mean by fit. Take plenty of food and plan on longer, I'd suggest.

For the entire Skywalk Loop, I would suggest a car-to-car approach, but that gets a little complicated as far as instructions. Soon we'll have the new Municipal wayfinding signs and then it will be easier to describe the route. The full loop is also a very fine walk in the fall, with cooler temps and the changing colours of the vegetation, particularly at treeline and in the alpine.

post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:

I'll go there this weekend, thanks for the suggestion, is this route right?

Real success in your life is defined by happiness.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 10:55 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Looks correct to me, Gloria. Enjoy the hike. I suspect there will be some folks up working on the new trail this weekend as well...
mazeGirl likes this.

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default skywalk to screaming cat lake loop hike

A group of us have done the skywalk hike a number of times starting at Mountain view and ending at the ice caves which I believe is about a 14km return hike (taking about 5-7 hours) but we are getting differing responses on how long the hike would be if we did the complete loop to screaming cat lake and back down to the Mountain view start. Can someone provide a somewhat accurate estimate of time and distance for the complete loop?

Appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page