Gott Peak, Blowdown Pass July 20, 2016 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Big Ian

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Gott Peak, Blowdown Pass July 20, 2016

I'm going to say it right away. The blowdown pass area is AMAZING. The approach is nice, no mosquitos, easy hiking and beautiful views. I didn't get a chance to look around too much as I got there pretty late but it seems like there's endless hiking around here. You can also walk from peak to peak high up on the ridge which I think is pretty unique you don't get to see that a lot in BC. Also they are doing some work on the road. There was two excavators working and one of the guys told me the grader was coming in the next day. I doubt that they'll fix the road all the way but they're working on most of it. They have a new centreline going in and i'm a bit curious if it's also going to lead to the pass. Anyways here's some pictures unfortunately i don't have any of Gott Peak due to the clouds being too low and poor visibility. Don't be fooled by the cairn you see on your way up. It is NOT the summit of Gott Peak it's just a geocache.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5065.jpg
Views:	1630
Size:	416.8 KB
ID:	152282  

Name:	IMG_5064.jpg
Views:	818
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	152290  

Name:	IMG_5075.jpg
Views:	702
Size:	356.5 KB
ID:	152298  

Name:	IMG_5076.jpg
Views:	751
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	152306  

Name:	IMG_5098.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	152314  

Name:	IMG_5093.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	371.7 KB
ID:	152322  

Name:	IMG_5092.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	456.1 KB
ID:	152330  

Name:	IMG_5086.jpg
Views:	859
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	152338  

Name:	IMG_5107.jpg
Views:	725
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	152346  

Name:	IMG_5101.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	366.8 KB
ID:	152354  

Name:	IMG_5100.jpg
Views:	744
Size:	302.5 KB
ID:	152362  

Name:	IMG_5099.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	315.2 KB
ID:	152370  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:55 AM
High on the Mountain Top

beauty shots! Thanks for the trip report, it's very timely considering we're planning a little trip up there very soon. I suspect the road work you saw is for an upcoming cutting permit for the logging company in the area.

Where did you park your vehicle? did you hike up the road a ways to the lake or did you 4X4 up the final uphill stretch of road?

Last edited by xj6response; 07-23-2016 at 11:57 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:09 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Yes you're right he told me that it would become an active logging site in the near future. I parked about 4km down from the pass. You'll see a open space where you can park a couple vehicles right before that sharp corner that leads to the rough spots. You could drive most of the way up if you can make it over those two rough spots. I have a ford ranger and I think i could of made it but I didn't risk it. Took me a bit over an hour to hike in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:31 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Yes you're right he told me that it would become an active logging site in the near future. I parked about 4km down from the pass. You'll see a open space where you can park a couple vehicles right before that sharp corner that leads to the rough spots. You could drive most of the way up if you can make it over those two rough spots. I have a ford ranger and I think i could of made it but I didn't risk it. Took me a bit over an hour to hike in.
Thanks for that great info. Hope you keep posting trip reports, they're much appreciated.

We did that upper stretch of the road in our 2004 Grand Cherokee about three years ago. It was a slug but the ol' jeep pounded right up there, slowly and in low range. However, as you point out the hike up is not too long. Such a beautiful area, with lots of mining history and right on the Stein park boundary. we'll be making a trip up at some point soon :-)

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:46 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Awesome Dane, keep up the great reports. Have heard much about the area, never went up there... Worked up in the early 1980's , but rarely did any hikes there.....as my field work was mostly in the forest and cutblocks those days.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 11:15 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Was up there last summer, those spots were getting worse, you'll need some decent 4x4 experience soon, and have low concern for pinstriping...
xj6response likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page