Lynn Peak - Knee test - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By xj6response

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Default Lynn Peak - Knee test

Many years ago I hiked the trail up to the what was then called the Lynn south peak lookout, off Lynn Valley Road in North Van. Today it is just called Lynn Peak, even though the viewpoint is not Lynn peak (which is actually that sort of intermediate hump on the way to the Needles). Back then the trail was steep, poorly marked, brushy and rock strewn. Today it is well marked, steep but a root-infested, bouldery mess. It is a fun, strenuous hoof up and a miserable, knee-ache climb down. I did this hike because I wanted a good cardio climb without having to endure the sight of urban cowboys in brightly coloured LuLulemon bib-pants, as one does on the Grind. This was also a chance to test my new knee strap/support system.

At a 5.2 km one way distance from our car in closest parking lot, Lynn Peak trail is a solid, steady climb up through primarily dense second growth stands affording much shade on a sunny day. Views at the top are very nice, but no good views exist along the way. Some remnant old growth cedar-cypress-hem-balsam-douglas fir stands remain along the top 1/4 of the hike.

The knee support setup worked very well and the objective of a sweat-fest heart pounder was achieved. Other than that, not a fave hike, that's for sure. Here's some pics

The route up from Lynn Headwaters Park

The bouldery trail. Roots, rocks and ... well, basically a creek bed

Some nice old growth Hem_Bal_Cedar_Cypress and D.Fir up top

A couple of viewpoint shots. Similar to views from Dog Mountain trail, not as good as views from Seymour pumps

The knee support system. Put the Meuller single strap tightly over the patella area, then pull on the GenuFlex knee wrap. I am "Pre-surgical" for a knee cartilage replacement but this combo of support worked a treat , even on such a touchy hike down. It should keep me going till the knee either recovers via physio or the surgeon says "let's get 'er done". These items are available at KinTec store in North Vancouver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lynn_peak_route.jpg
Views:	2960
Size:	695.5 KB
ID:	151818  

Name:	lynn_peak_6_small.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	744.0 KB
ID:	151826  

Name:	lynn_peak_5_small.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	810.7 KB
ID:	151834  

Name:	lynn_peak_3_small.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	750.3 KB
ID:	151842  

Name:	Lynn_peak_2_small.jpg
Views:	536
Size:	736.8 KB
ID:	151850  

Attached Images

treord8 likes this.

Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 05:56 PM
Banner Photographer

Interest: hikingmountain bikingphotographyanything outdoors

Thanks for the post... I have recently been having issues with one knee and may try your system. I haven't had it looked at yet, but from research and symptoms I think it might be the IT Band. Hope your knee recovers without surgery.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors guy View Post
Thanks for the post... I have recently been having issues with one knee and may try your system. I haven't had it looked at yet, but from research and symptoms I think it might be the IT Band. Hope your knee recovers without surgery.
The knee thing is a downer for us outdoor types. A good physiotherapist can help and the support technologies available now are much better. Surgery is not something i look forward to, having had two knee repairs already, but if the surgeon can keep me hiking and scrambling for another decade, then I'm game.

Here's hoping we can all hike and climb for many years to come

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabby View Post
Hi there...your post has drawn me out of lurking, having also followed the earlier thread about knee issues with great interest...did you really mean cartiledge *replacement*?? I wasn't aware this was a possibility.

I've had assorted torn cartiledge trimmed/removed years ago, and live with deterioration and wear & tear ongoing, and agree the steep downhills on the north shore sure don't help. I'm right there with you on lack of enthusiasm for further surgeries, but if improvement was possible would certainly look into it. Any further info greatly appreciated!

from what I'm told there are a variety of techniques for fixing a knee which is generally healthy but with deteriorated cartilage. I'm not sure where my situation will go but as long as the joint has no or very minimal arthritis there may be options for some restoration. It depends on what the surgeon says. Such things as grafts and replacements are possible.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

If you want a good cardio workout without the knee problems on the way down, the mixed use trails on Fromme are great. You can do the opposite of what the bikers do and go up the steeper trails and then come down the switchbacks on the Grouse Mountain access road.....just be sure you keep an eye out and an ear open for bikers coming down the trail
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofting View Post
If you want a good cardio workout without the knee problems on the way down, the mixed use trails on Fromme are great. You can do the opposite of what the bikers do and go up the steeper trails and then come down the switchbacks on the Grouse Mountain access road.....just be sure you keep an eye out and an ear open for bikers coming down the trail
Thanks for that. Fromme did not occur to me, primarily because I haven't up there for ages and was blindly unaware of any real trail system. Also, I knew Lynn peak was a miserable experience on the downhill so it would make for a good test of the new knee support. Fromme sounds much nicer :-)

As I recall the Fromme trail up is off of St George street, but where do you end up if you come down the Grouse Mtn Access road?

thanks for the tip!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
...the objective of a sweat-fest heart pounder was achieved. Other than that, not a fave hike, that's for sure.

That's pretty much it. Lynn is useful as a moderate shoulder-season cardio session that doesn't require putting a lot of mileage on the car.

Good luck with the knee.

Semper fudge
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by another jeff View Post
That's pretty much it. Lynn is useful as a moderate shoulder-season cardio session that doesn't require putting a lot of mileage on the car.

Good luck with the knee.
thx much....I guess Lynn peak does have the advantage of being quite uncrowded compared to GG plus there's Lynn Creek to splash water from.

must try that Mt fromme hike too.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2016, 07:29 PM
Headed for the Mountains

The best map I've found for the trails on Fromme is this one.

http://www.geoweb.dnv.org/products/m...GrouseArea.pdf

It does take a bit of time to load.

If you go up St. George's trail you do meet the switchbacks/Grouse Mtn Hwy but end up coming out at Mountain Highway and then have to follow the Baden Powell back to your starting point.

I prefer to park at the new lot on Mountain Hwy, where Natural High is shown on the map. I either take Griffen or the Grouse Mtn Hwy to the Cedar Tree Trail and then follow that to Kirkford. You can now go up Kirkford, Crinkum Crankum, Leopard and Seventh Secret, or stop where any of these meet the Grouse Mtn Hwy and return down that to your car.

.....during the week you rarely meet any mountain bikers on the trails. Weekend days have a bit more traffic.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-26-2016, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlofting View Post
The best map I've found for the trails on Fromme is this one.

http://www.geoweb.dnv.org/products/m...GrouseArea.pdf

It does take a bit of time to load.
Thanks much for that. really helpful map and description

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page