• 4 Post By ashi
  • 1 Post By ashi

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Exploring, hiking, scrambling
Default Hike to Viola Lake, Downton Creek - June 11, 2016

Full details and photos: http://www.ashikaparsad.com/2016/07/...headwaters-bc/

I've got a few backlogged trips worth sharing, this is one of Viola Lake back in early/mid June.

Fact: when I was brand new to hiking, I used to spend time on Google Maps and Panoramio, following random areas, nearby mountain ranges, creek drainages, you name it, in various/remote locations to see if I could find posted pictures of the area (knowing geo stamps may not be accurate). This was my way of figuring out if anyone had been up there, if there was a viable hike or route option, and if it was worth adding to a seemingly obscure to-hike-one-day list. I found myself constantly pausing at headwaters-type destinations. This inspired several trips in the past, for example, Helm Creek.

Anywho, I love a good headwaters hike and Viola Lake was awesome.

The Downton FSR was in good shape; a 4wd is recommended but not necessary as there are no real steep/loose sections or cross ditches. We werenít looking forward to starting our hike in the cold downpour. The trail started off of the pullout where we parked the truck. After hopping the boulders that were blocking off the spur road, we crossed two small log bridges over Downton Creek.

After the creek crossings, we made a sharp left and then right to switchback through an old a cutblock. The section through the upper cutblock did not have a very obvious footbed, but it was well flagged and easy to follow as the switchbacks ended and the trail continued straight up the block. Itís worth mentioning, at this point, the rain had turned to moderately heavy snow and stopped after the cutblock.

Once we left the cutblock, the trail meandered through a slightly treed area where we gradually gained some elevation across talus slopes. Again, the trail was easy to follow and we stayed on the left side of the creek and followed it up the valley.

About a third of the way up slope, the trail swung left and climbed steeply out of the gully. This turn was sparsely flagged; if we did not have a GPS track to follow, we would have easily missed it. We hopped over a few boulders as we continued up the gully and picked up a faint trail.

***Skip forward***

Pics of Viola Lake:

We retraced our steps and headed back to the truck. Iíd revisit the lake earlier in spring and try to make a snowshoe trip out of it.
guntis, solo75, treord8 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by ashi; 07-21-2016 at 12:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 12:41 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Love the way you wrote and make us the readers so personally involved. Love your adventure, and Downtown Lake area is one I like to go to after seeing several TR's on this one over the years.

Really like your pictures, and your linked in report so well organized and documented. It shows the time and care in your presentation. a joy to read

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 03:40 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Like the comment about google mapping to find new hiking areas, I totally do that too! Awesome TR and pics.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

@KARVITK: Thanks for reading, glad you enjoyed the write up. We originally wanted to get higher in the alpine but the weather wasn't great that weekend so we settled on Viola.

@treord8: Haha, thanks. Pretty cool what you can find hey? Clubtread and google maps were my first means of exploring.
treord8 likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 05:51 PM
Summit Master

Interest: TO GET OUTSIDE! Hiking, backpacking, canoeing, bushwacking, scrambling

We were there about three weeks ago. Missed that turn off halfway up and ended up at the top of the ridge instead! Nice view of the lake from up there though! We dropped down at the end of the lake to have lunch.

Edit!! don't know why my pic uploaded sideways as it's not on my computer like that. Sorry about that. Don't know how to fix it.
Attached Images

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
~ John Burroughs
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 06:29 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunky View Post

Edit!! don't know why my pic uploaded sideways as it's not on my computer like that. Sorry about that. Don't know how to fix it.
We have had this problem before. seems to be an Apple thing?

iirc, when you view photos in Windows photo Viewer and rotate them, it saves it in the rotated view when you close the viewer. In the corresponding Apple product it shows you the rotated view but it doesn't actually change/save the new orientation of the file you're viewing. something like that.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

@Spunky: nice shot! Looks like a good vantage from up there.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:52 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Great write ups Ashi. Can you tell me what your total trail travel time was? Would Viola Lake be a good overnight destination?

Thanks

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page