Scimitar Knoll & Full Moon Rising - Jul 14 16 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interest: 10%
Default Scimitar Knoll & Full Moon Rising - Jul 14 16

I had one day available to take off and the weather was looking iffy in most places. Manning Park usually rises above when other areas don't so I chose an international hike starting in Manning and journeying to the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington State. Full Moon Rising is the unofficial name (Scimitar Knoll is unofficial too) given to a substantial bump on the NW ridge of Castle Peak that from the east looks like what its name says.

Here is an old shot of Full Moon Rising from Frosty taken in 2007. Scimitar right of it.

Sure enough, as I leave Hope and get to Sunshine Valley the clouds have given away to mostly sun. From Manning Lodge I follow the road to the Lightning Lake Camping Area and park in the day use section. From there I have a just over 5km walk down the Lightning Lakes Chain Trail (Lightning, Flash, Strike and eventually Thunder) to just past Strike Lake and where Passage Creek meets Lightning Creek.

Finding a log to cross over I wade through a lot of devil's club and other shrubs for a few minutes before starting to ascend open forest of the NNE ridge of Scimitar. This went well but there was the usual heavy bush to get through further up, some plateau like sections and one part that was a little steep. Around 1800m elevation things started to open up a bit and I could get an occasional view of the sheer north face of Scimitar. The ridge narrowed and again some steepness but easy travel to reach a point where I start to turn more westward to gain the summit ridge. Approach to Scimitar can be seen on the right side of the first picture (as well as the ridge connecting it to Full Moon Rising).

Little bit of scrambling coming up.

I was getting my first views now too of Castle and Full Moon Rising. Staying mostly with the ridge crest I soon reached the summit ridge and along that to the high point and its small cairn. Trees around here interrupted direct views southwards but I had a nice aspect into Manning Park. Some clouds around (especially to the west and north) but most were quite distant .

Castle and Full Moon Rising from an open area just before the summit of Scimitar.

Thunder Lake below with Lone Goat and Snow Camp (Red behind it) above. Silvertip area to Outram and Snass in the far distance.

After some food and drink I continued on over the ridge and dropped down the other side on a mixture of talus and heather/grass. Hozomeen had shed its last piece of cloud and is well viewed for the next while. Elevation of Scimitar is 2103m.

Majestic Hozomeen Mountain.

The ridge connecting Scimitar to Full Moon has a few ups and downs along with a spot of mild scrambling. Just before the low point I reach the border and Monument 76. I also get a good view up Full Moon and it looks pretty easy going.

Monument 76 and the pleasant NW ridge of Full Moon Rising.

Some trees and bush lower down but a route always presented itself and it was basically a walk-up (just over 400m elevation gain from the pass) with some pretty flowers to look at. The upper areas are mostly talus and some rock as I gained the summit area which has two survey markers. From here Castle is not that far away but there is not the easy terrain I just travelled, but the rock over there is of better quality (some climbing routes have been done on the northern side). I wander around a bit then settle on the lee side out of the brisk wind to relax for a while but most of the time was spent taking pictures and figuring out names for the distant mountains southwards.

Full Moon summit from just south of it and a view back into Manning Park. Scimitar Knoll is centre shot with Passage Creek Valley on the right.

The Boundary Creek Valley below along with Hozomeen and the Spickard Group behind it. Lone Mountain the bump far right (at 3 o'clock).

Castle Peak. Winthrop centre left, Lago area rear distant right.

Zooming towards Lone Goat, Red and Snow Camp with Silvertip, Shawatum and Outram prominent at rear.

Big cloud action east of me towards Frosty and Frosty E1.

Winthrop to the ESE. Cathedral, Sheep and Remmel some of the prominent peaks way back.

Summit plant life, Hozomeen and a distant Spickard Group. Luna is far distant left.

And a zoom on Jack Mountain with more summit plant life.

2394m summit shot.

Frosty at left, Castle on the right with the Pass Creek Valley below (which becomes Passage Creek at the border). You can see the border delineation too.

Castle Mountain. Lago/Osceola/Monument area centre rear with Three Fools Peak far right.

That was enough picture taking with two cameras and I'd been up there over an hour now. Packing up I retraced my route with a couple of usual pauses for more photographic evidence that I'd been somewhere. A little bit of care taken on the loose talus but an easy descent. By now I was getting an occasional cloud covering the sun but it had been stellar otherwise. It was almost 360 degrees cloud around me but a long way off (Baker was never visible to the west).

Most of the way down and an idea of the ridge back to Scimitar. Border monument is lower left.

Soon I'm back atop Scimitar where I take one last quick break and a few more photos before heading off that and back into the forest. The sun was now better positioned for pictures of Castle and Full Moon.

One last look.

There's not really any cruxes on this trip but apart from route finding, the upper approach ridge of Scimitar and parts of the ridge connecting it to Full Moon might be low class 3 if you want to push things a little. Soon I'm back into trees then full on forest as I descend quickly. I know I want to trend slightly right below 1700m elevation but the main downslope is more straight so it was good I had taken my one waypoint of the day down by Passage and Lightning Creeks and I corrected my course a couple of times.

A slightly better route (not by much) though the devil's club and a different log to cross Lightning Creek then I'm back on the nicely maintained trail and heading for the beer. It goes down splendid as usual then I head west. Between Hope and Chilliwack plenty of dark clouds had formed. Approaching Chilliwack low angled sunlight highlighted things below the clouds then the rain started.

It came down pretty good for a while as the low sun kept shining through and just past Chilliwack I was treated to a double rainbow to the south. People were pulling over on the freeway to take pictures.

Double Rainbow.

That was a good way to nearly end the day but things wrapped up nicely later when I dropped by my parents for a large helping of pie and ice cream. Then it was home and bed.

Map of area and route.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resize of P1110457.jpg
Views:	5282
Size:	355.3 KB
ID:	150362  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2288.jpg
Views:	1079
Size:	592.4 KB
ID:	150370  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2289.jpg
Views:	1091
Size:	400.1 KB
ID:	150378  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2292.jpg
Views:	1087
Size:	385.8 KB
ID:	150386  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2305.jpg
Views:	1116
Size:	256.9 KB
ID:	150394  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2309.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	488.3 KB
ID:	150402  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	1056
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	150410  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2337.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	150418  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2341.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	303.3 KB
ID:	150426  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2342.jpg
Views:	1076
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	150434  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2344.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	383.3 KB
ID:	150442  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2348.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	376.4 KB
ID:	150450  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2351.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	150458  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2353.jpg
Views:	989
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	150466  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2364.jpg
Views:	997
Size:	192.7 KB
ID:	150474  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2368.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	150482  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2372.jpg
Views:	1040
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	150490  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2374.jpg
Views:	1103
Size:	414.4 KB
ID:	150498  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2393.jpg
Views:	1007
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	150506  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2409.jpg
Views:	1025
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	150514  

Name:	Resize of IMG_2416.jpg
Views:	1004
Size:	195.9 KB
ID:	150522  

Name:	full moon rising - Copy.png
Views:	1031
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	150530  

martin, Dru, solo75 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by simonc; 07-20-2016 at 11:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:43 PM
High on the Mountain Top

What a beautiful location and great TR/Pics. Too bad we don't have the calendar anymore :-( Love the shot of Thunder lake and Hozomeen Mountain. That terrain is so reminiscent of Cathedral Provincial park. Must go spend some time there.

Bet the pie and ice cream was almost as good as the beer ;-)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

Great idea for a scramble. I enjoyed seeing the familiar mountains from farther south.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 09:38 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Nice TR, thought of this one but was put off by reports of major bush, Hozomeen does look good!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Those are quite unique perspectives of Castle Peak and the ridge where the Skyline trail runs. Manning is one of my favorite provincial parks.
Nice double rainbow shot; quite rare to see.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 01:59 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Great report Simon, so much to look at in all those pictures!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskeeto View Post
Nice TR, thought of this one but was put off by reports of major bush, Hozomeen does look good!
Apart from that one section around 1700m elevation and further up, a little before tree line (plus the devil's club near the creek) the route is mostly bush free.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Ball hockey, landscaping, tree collecting.

We were eyeing up Full Moon rising a couple weekends ago, and I pointed out the possible crossing on a hike to Thunder Lake last Sunday. Thanks once again for showing us the way, this has to be one of the better remote peaks in Manning.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Superb trip report, nicely narrated, and with lots of great pictures. A real fun read to follow your journey to these peaks.

Please keep them coming.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Being outside as much as possible

Love this TR and I'm stoked to try it this summer. Do you have a .gpx to share?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norgie View Post
Love this TR and I'm stoked to try it this summer. Do you have a .gpx to share?
Sorry, no waypoints. Follow the height of the land once you leave the Lightning Lake Trail going southwards towards Scimitar. I would recommend you waypoint from there up to treeline on Scimitar for the return leg. You could probably do up a rough waypoint file using the map on the TR.
Norgie likes this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 04:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonc View Post
Sorry, no waypoints. Follow the height of the land once you leave the Lightning Lake Trail going southwards towards Scimitar. I would recommend you waypoint from there up to treeline on Scimitar for the return leg. You could probably do up a rough waypoint file using the map on the TR.
Nice to see you post Simon. Your TR's are really a great resource for all of us. Have you not been out and about lately? Perhaps still snowbound?

post #13 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Nice to see you post Simon. Your TR's are really a great resource for all of us. Have you not been out and about lately? Perhaps still snowbound?
I've been out here and there though I did take a longer than usual winter break. I used your directions for the Mount Boucherie trailhead last week (that you posted in my Osoyoos Easter TR). Nice little hike.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2017, 07:45 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I've been out here and there though I did take a longer than usual winter break. I used your directions for the Mount Boucherie trailhead last week (that you posted in my Osoyoos Easter TR). Nice little hike.
Glad you like Boucheire. That's a short+sweet little leg stretcher with such good views.

It's been a long winter, so much snow still in our fave areas. We've done a few cheap trips to California to get some high elevation terrain in, and sunshine. Looks like we're finally into decent temps now so hopefully we'll soon see some SimonC reports soon
VSDM likes this.

post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2017, 09:41 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, Being outside as much as possible

Quote:
Thank you!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page